Circular motion of water in a glass

In summary: If you're rotating the glass, the centrifugal force will cause the water to rise and form a cone. If you're moving the glass in orbital motion, the centrifugal force will cause the water to spread out and form a sphere.
mavrick3987
Hey all,

I'm attempting a lab where I want to have water moving in circular motion in a glass. I realized that the water will climb the side of the glass creating a sort of conical shape, if you will. I know that there is a way to calculate the change in height that occurs as the speed of the water increases. I was thinking centrifugal force, but I don't remember my motion well enough for this sort of thing.

Any and all help would be freakin' awesome:smile:

Aveld

Physics news on Phys.org
The centripetal force necessary to hold something in a circle of radius R with constant speed v (and so angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex] is mv2/R or [itex]m\omega^2R[/itex]. That vector force, <-mv2/R,0>, added to the gravitational force <0, -mg> gives total force m<-v2/R, -g>, in the xz-plane. More generally, it is [itex]m<-(v^2/R)cos(\theta), -(v^2/R)sin(\theta), -g>. It is the "equilibrium" condition, that that vector be perpendicular to the surface of the water that determines its form.

As I recall, It forms a paraboloid

mavrick3987 said:
Hey all,

I'm attempting a lab where I want to have water moving in circular motion in a glass. I realized that the water will climb the side of the glass creating a sort of conical shape, if you will. I know that there is a way to calculate the change in height that occurs as the speed of the water increases. I was thinking centrifugal force, but I don't remember my motion well enough for this sort of thing.

Any and all help would be freakin' awesome:smile:

Aveld

Are you rotating the glass, or are you moving the glass in orbital motion- moving the glass in a circle without rotating the glass? There's a big difference.

Hello Aveld,

It sounds like you are trying to create a vortex or whirlpool effect in your glass of water. This is a common phenomenon that occurs when water is in circular motion. The water will indeed climb the sides of the glass due to centrifugal force, which is the outward force acting on an object in circular motion.

To calculate the change in height as the speed of the water increases, you can use the equation for centripetal force: Fc = mv^2/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the water, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular motion. As the speed of the water increases, the centripetal force will also increase, causing the water to climb higher up the sides of the glass.

You can also calculate the velocity of the water at any given point using the equation v = ωr, where ω is the angular velocity and r is the radius. This can help you determine the speed at which the water is moving at different points in the circular motion.

I hope this helps with your lab. Good luck!

What is circular motion of water in a glass?

Circular motion of water in a glass is the movement of water in a circular path due to the force of gravity and the shape of the glass.

What causes circular motion of water in a glass?

The circular motion of water in a glass is caused by the combination of gravity and the shape of the glass. When the glass is tilted, gravity pulls the water towards the bottom of the glass, but the curved shape of the glass causes the water to move in a circular path.

Why does the water in a glass move in a circular motion?

The water in a glass moves in a circular motion because of the centripetal force acting on it. This force is directed towards the center of the circular path and is necessary to keep the water moving in a circular motion.

How does the speed of the circular motion of water in a glass change?

The speed of the circular motion of water in a glass can change depending on the angle of the glass, the amount of water in the glass, and the strength of the centripetal force. As the glass is tilted more or less, the speed of the water will increase or decrease accordingly.

What happens if the centripetal force is too strong or too weak?

If the centripetal force is too strong, the water will move too quickly and may spill out of the glass. If the centripetal force is too weak, the water may not move in a circular motion at all and will simply spill out of the glass in a straight line. The ideal amount of centripetal force will keep the water moving in a circular motion without spilling out of the glass.