Particle bound by quadratic potential

In summary: The expectation value is just the integral of the wavefunction over all space: \int \psi*(x)x\psi(x) dx=E
kasse

Homework Statement

A particle that can move in one dimension and that is in a stationary state, is bound by a potential V(x) = (1/2)kx^2. The wave function is [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,t) = [tex]\psi[/tex](x)exp(-iEt/[tex]\hbar[/tex])

We look at a state in which [tex]\psi[/tex](x) = Aexp(-x^2/2a^2a^2), where a is a constant and A is the normalisation constant. Determine a so that [tex]\psi[/tex](x) is an energy state. What is the energ of the particle?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know what to do here, but setting up the wave equation tends to be a good start:

H[tex]\psi[/tex](x) = E[tex]\psi[/tex](x), where H = -([tex]\hbar[/tex]^2/2m)(d^2/dx^2) + kx^2/2

How can I determine a so that [tex]\psi[/tex](x) is an energy state?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just calculate the left-hand and right-hand sides, and set them equal.

That the wave function is an energy state simply means that it's described by the Schrödinger equation?

Yes, it's a solution to the *time-independent* SE, to be precise.

OK, but I still don't see how to find a when E is unknown. My expression after differentiating twice is:

([tex]\hbar[/tex]^2/2ma^2) (A - x^2/a^2) + kx^2/2 = E

First, you didn't calculate it right.

Second, the correct equation you'll get will have to be true for every x.

Now I ended up with

([tex]\hbar[/tex]^2/2ma^2)(1 - x^2/a^2) + kx^2/2 = E

What I should do here is to eliminate x so that the equation holds for all x-es? In that case, a must be ([tex]\hbar[/tex]^2/km)^0.25

Your equation is now of the form (if you move E to the left-hand side)

C+Dx^2=0,

where C and D are constants (independent of x).
If this is to be true for all x, then both C and D must be zero.

I got it right now, didn't I?

My next problem is to calculate the expectation value. That's not hard, I just wonder why the integral is written

[tex]\int[/tex]dx [tex]\psi[/tex]*(x)x[tex]\psi[/tex](x)

and not

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\psi[/tex]*(x)x[tex]\psi[/tex](x) dx

Last edited:
In this case it doesn't matter where you put the "dx", it is the same thing.

(note that there are cases where it DOES matter; e.g. if dx is a vector)

1. What is a particle bound by a quadratic potential?

A particle bound by a quadratic potential is a particle that is confined to a specific region of space due to the presence of a quadratic potential energy function. This potential function is characterized by a parabolic shape, and it is commonly used to model the behavior of particles in various physical systems.

2. How does the quadratic potential affect the motion of a particle?

The quadratic potential affects the motion of a particle by creating a force that is proportional to the particle's displacement from the equilibrium position. This force, known as the restoring force, is always directed towards the equilibrium position, resulting in oscillatory motion around this point.

3. What are the implications of a particle being bound by a quadratic potential?

One major implication of a particle being bound by a quadratic potential is that it has a finite energy and cannot escape from the region it is confined to. This can lead to stable and predictable behavior in physical systems, such as the motion of a simple pendulum or the vibrations of a diatomic molecule.

4. How is the energy of a particle bound by a quadratic potential related to its position?

The energy of a particle bound by a quadratic potential is directly related to its position. As the particle moves away from the equilibrium position, its potential energy increases and its kinetic energy decreases. This relationship is described by the principle of conservation of energy, where the total energy of the particle remains constant throughout its motion.

5. Can a particle bound by a quadratic potential ever escape from its confinement?

No, a particle bound by a quadratic potential cannot escape from its confinement. Since the potential energy function is symmetric around the equilibrium position, the particle will always experience a restoring force that brings it back towards this point. The particle would need an infinite amount of energy to overcome this force and escape from the potential well.