Need Suggestions For An Experiment - Upper Division Undergraduate

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is beginning their junior year in physics at the University of Minnesota and is looking for suggestions for an experiment to work on in their Methods of Experimental Physics II class. They have access to a large supply of materials and will have ten weeks to work on the project with a partner. They have already considered nuclear magnetic resonance, sonoluminescence, and superconductors, but are open to suggestions. The student also explains their interest in physics and their decision to pursue it as a degree. They mention that they have decided on sonoluminescence as their experiment due to its potential and their level of understanding.
Chronothread
Hello,

During the spring semester of school that is just beginning I will be a junior in physics at the University of Minnesota. I'm taking a physics class called Methods of Experimental Physics II in which for the majority of the semester groups of two will be working on an approved experiment of their choice and I'm looking for suggestions. We have access to use most parts and materials in storage at the physics department here which is a pretty large supply. There will be ten weeks of time for working on the project with two people working on it.

My lab partner and I were already considering nuclear magnetic resonance, sonoluminescence, and possibly something to do with a superconductor. However, we still are no where near sure of what to work on so suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does the sun rotate as a rigid body?

Don't you have questions that you want to investigate? Why are you doing a physics degree?

Well I tried to convince the professor to let me do something with simple nuclear fusion, but he thought that too big of a project for the ten weeks. I think we've pretty much decided on the sonoluminescence because of it's awesomeness. I'm doing a physics degree because I want to learn about everything. I realized that pretty impossible and decided physics was the closest I could get. If I wasn't going to learn about everything I decided physics just seemed to be the best for advancing things at least. Sonoluminescence has many mysteries still (not that other things don't) and seems like something that would still be doable for our level in ten weeks. Thanks though.

1. What makes a good experiment for upper division undergraduate students?

A good experiment for upper division undergraduate students should be relevant to their field of study, have clear objectives and hypotheses, be feasible to conduct within the given time frame and resources, and provide opportunities for critical thinking and problem-solving.

2. How do I come up with a unique and interesting experiment idea?

One way to come up with a unique and interesting experiment idea is to identify a gap in current research or explore a topic that has not been extensively studied. You can also draw inspiration from your own interests and experiences and brainstorm with peers and professors.

3. What are some common challenges when conducting experiments at the upper division undergraduate level?

Some common challenges when conducting experiments at the upper division undergraduate level include limited resources and equipment, time constraints, and the need for a strict adherence to ethical guidelines. Additionally, students may face challenges in data collection, analysis, and interpretation.

4. How should I structure my experiment proposal for an upper division undergraduate project?

An experiment proposal for an upper division undergraduate project should include a clear title, background and rationale for the study, specific objectives and hypotheses, a detailed methodology, expected outcomes, and a timeline for completion. It should also address any potential ethical considerations and provide a budget and resources needed for the experiment.

5. How can I ensure the validity and reliability of my experiment results?

To ensure the validity and reliability of your experiment results, you should carefully design your experiment and control all possible variables. You can also use statistical analysis and replication of the experiment to increase the reliability of your findings. Additionally, following ethical guidelines and documenting all steps and procedures can also contribute to the validity of your results.