Adv. Math for Engineers and Scientists or App. Complex Analysis?

In summary, when deciding between Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists and Applied Complex Analysis as a physics major with one more class slot available for the fall semester, it is recommended to choose the former. While complex analysis may seem like a more appealing choice at first, the topics covered in Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists such as vector analysis, Fourier analysis, and PDE are crucial for daily use as a practicing physicist. Additionally, these topics may be covered in other classes such as Mathematical Methods in Physics I&II. Therefore, it is more practical to take the advanced math course and gain a strong foundation in these fundamental topics.
cordyceps
I'm a physics major and I have space for one more class the coming fall semester: either advanced mathematics for engineers and scientists or applied complex analysis.

Advanced Mathematics for Engineers and Scientists- Vector analysis, Fourier analysis and partial differential equations. Prerequisites: Calc III and Differential Equations

Applied Complex Analysis- Analytic functions, complex integration, Taylor and Laurent series, residue theorem, conformal mapping, and harmonic functions. Prerequisite: Calc III

I'm leaning towards applied complex analysis because most of the topics in advanced mathematics for engineers and scientists will be covered in two classes I'll be taking later: Mathematical Methods in Physics I&II. Is complex analysis useful for the undergraduate physics major? (I will be taking Linear Algebra and a mathematical structures course at the same time.) Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
im taking applied complex analysis right now. i haven't learned anything i didn't already know or isn't exactly analogous to calculus. i guess eventually we'll get to calculus or residues but so far this class has been a joke and a waste of time. take the engineering math class. pdes and Fourier series are important in quantum.

I would take the advanced math course, not the complex variables. The topics in the advanced math course you will use daily as a physics major and practicing physicist and the complex variables you'll learn as you need them.

I'd also take the advanced math course... particularly because it has Fourier Analysis and PDE. I took a course that covered similar material (called "Boundary Value Problems") and it was one of the best (most useful) courses I ever had in mathematics.

Alrighty then. Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Complex analysis shows up all over the place if you dig beneath the surface a bit. It's also a very pretty subject from a purely mathematical point of view.

Now I agree with everyone here that Fourier analysis and PDE are very very important for physics and engineering. However, if you are going to learn it in another class anyways, why not take complex analysis?

1. What is the difference between "Advanced Math for Engineers and Scientists" and "Applied Complex Analysis"?

"Advanced Math for Engineers and Scientists" typically focuses on advanced topics in mathematics that are commonly used in engineering and scientific fields, such as differential equations, linear algebra, and numerical methods. "Applied Complex Analysis" specifically focuses on the use of complex numbers and functions to solve problems in engineering and science, such as in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

2. How does "Advanced Math for Engineers and Scientists" benefit engineers and scientists?

Studying advanced math can help engineers and scientists develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, allowing them to apply these skills to solve complex problems in their respective fields. It also helps them to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in their work.

3. What are some real-world applications of "Applied Complex Analysis"?

Applied Complex Analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry. Some examples include using complex analysis techniques to model and analyze electrical circuits, to study fluid flow in aerodynamics and hydrodynamics, and to solve boundary value problems in heat transfer and diffusion equations.

4. Is a strong foundation in calculus necessary for understanding "Advanced Math for Engineers and Scientists" and "Applied Complex Analysis"?

Yes, a strong foundation in calculus is essential for understanding both "Advanced Math for Engineers and Scientists" and "Applied Complex Analysis." These subjects build upon the concepts and techniques learned in calculus, such as derivatives, integrals, and series. It is important to have a solid understanding of these topics before diving into advanced math and complex analysis.

5. How can I prepare for a course in "Advanced Math for Engineers and Scientists" or "Applied Complex Analysis"?

To prepare for a course in "Advanced Math for Engineers and Scientists" or "Applied Complex Analysis," it is recommended to review fundamental concepts in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It may also be helpful to familiarize yourself with complex numbers and basic complex analysis techniques, such as contour integration and Cauchy's integral theorem. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can help prepare you for the challenges of these courses.