Is my ODE solution correct for car suspension system?

In summary, the conversation discusses the formulation of equations of motion for a car suspension system, with one mass being the sprung mass and the other being the unsprung mass. The conversation addresses the issue of whether a force or a displacement should be used in the equations, and also clarifies the direction of positive and negative values. The resulting transfer function is found to be unstable, leading to further discussion about the value of the stiffness constant used in the equations.
exidez

Homework Statement

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2193/matlapassig2fig.jpg
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7126/matlapassig2.jpg

Homework Equations

My impulse response is entirely different which make me believe that i have messed up my ODE. I have taken the laplace tranform to get it into the from of y to f

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]m_{s}\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}-c(\frac{dy}{dt} - \frac{dy1}{dt}) + k(y - y1)=0[/tex]
[tex]m_{u}\frac{d^{2}y1}{dt^{2}}+c(\frac{dy1}{dt} - \frac{dy}{dt}) + k(y1 - y) +k_{t}(y1-f(t))=0[/tex]

Laplace Transform:

[tex]Y(S)(m_{s}s^{2}-sc+k)+Y1(S)(sc-k)=0[/tex]
[tex]Y1(S)(m_{u}s^{2}+sc+k+k_{t})+Y(S)(-sc-k)-F(S)k_{t}=0[/tex]

Rearranging First Eqn:

[tex]Y(S)\frac{m_{s}s^{2}-sc+k}{sc-k}=-Y1(S)[/tex]

Substitution:

[tex]-Y(S)\frac{m_{s}s^{2}-sc+k}{sc-k}(m_{u}s^{2}+sc+k+k_{t})+Y(S)(-sc-k)=F(S)k_{t}[/tex]
[tex]-Y(S)(s^{4}(m_{u}m_{s})+s^{3}cm_{s}+s^{2}m_{s}k+s^{2}m_{s}k_{t}-s^{3}cm_{u}-s^{2}c^{2}-sck-sck_{t}+s^{2}m_{u}k+csk+k^{2}+kk_{t}+Y(S)(-c^{2}s^{2}+k^{2}=F(S)(sck_{t}-kk_{t}[/tex]

[tex]Y(S)(-s^{4}(m_{u}m_{s})-s^{3}(cm_{s}-cm_{u})-s^{2}(m_{s}k+m_{s}k_{t}+m_{u}k+s(ck_{t})-kk_{t})=F(S)(sck_{t}-kk_{t})[/tex]

So to get the transform from y to f we want this right?
[tex]\frac{sck_{t}-kk_{t}}{-s^{4}(m_{u}m_{s})-s^{3}(cm_{s}-cm_{u})-s^{2}(m_{s}k+m_{s}k_{t}+m_{u}k+s(ck_{t})-kk_{t}}[/tex]

When substituting the values in from the question my impulse response done through MATLAB doesn't look anything like the one given in the question...Have i done something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]m_{s}\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}-c(\frac{dy}{dt} - \frac{dy1}{dt}) + k(y - y1)=0[/tex]
[tex]m_{u}\frac{d^{2}y1}{dt^{2}}+c(\frac{dy1}{dt} - \frac{dy}{dt}) + k(y1 - y) +k_{t}(y1-f(t))=0[/tex]

Hey, at first look, I found these equations to be fishy: is the f(t) a force being applied on the sprung mass m_s? If so, then shouldn't the expression f(t) appear in the equation of motion of m_s as opposed to m_u as you have formulated?

tanujkush said:
Hey, at first look, I found these equations to be fishy: is the f(t) a force being applied on the sprung mass m_s? If so, then shouldn't the expression f(t) appear in the equation of motion of m_s as opposed to m_u as you have formulated?

I did think of that, but being a car suspension system, it will be traveling on a road which will have the forces acting on m_u. So i put f(t) as the reaction force due to the road...

much like this
mechanics_small.jpg

Mind you, i am not strong in mechanics, so there could be other flaws in it too

exidez said:
I did think of that, but being a car suspension system, it will be traveling on a road which will have the forces acting on m_u. So i put f(t) as the reaction force due to the road...

much like this
mechanics_small.jpg

Mind you, i am not strong in mechanics, so there could be other flaws in it too

Even so, the way you have used f(t) in the expressions, it appears to be the road displacement rather than a road reaction force. If that is the case then your formulation seems correct. If however, f(t) is a force on the sprung mass (like you showed in your first illustration), then f(t) should just appear as a force in the first equation.

tanujkush said:
Even so, the way you have used f(t) in the expressions, it appears to be the road displacement rather than a road reaction force. If that is the case then your formulation seems correct. If however, f(t) is a force on the sprung mass (like you showed in your first illustration), then f(t) should just appear as a force in the first equation.
So, with that being said

[tex]m_{s}\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}-c(\frac{dy}{dt} - \frac{dy1}{dt}) + k(y - y1)=f(t)[/tex]
[tex]m_{u}\frac{d^{2}y1}{dt^{2}}+c(\frac{dy1}{dt} - \frac{dy}{dt}) + k(y1 - y) +k_{t}(y1)=0[/tex]

I will see how this spans out in the impulse response latter but just as a check, do those new ODE's seem correct?

exidez said:
So, with that being said

[tex]m_{s}\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}-c(\frac{dy}{dt} - \frac{dy1}{dt}) + k(y - y1)=f(t)[/tex]
[tex]m_{u}\frac{d^{2}y1}{dt^{2}}+c(\frac{dy1}{dt} - \frac{dy}{dt}) + k(y1 - y) +k_{t}(y1)=0[/tex]

I will see how this spans out in the impulse response latter but just as a check, do those new ODE's seem correct?

Ok so assuming downward direction as positive and also assuming that the spring damper push the sprung mass upwards(i.e. the spring gets compressed), here are the ODEs:
[tex]F = ma[/tex]
[tex]f(t)-k(y - y1)-c(\frac{dy}{dt} - \frac{dy1}{dt}) = m_{s}\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}[/tex]
and
[tex]c(\frac{dy}{dt} - \frac{dy1}{dt}) + k(y - y1) -k_{t}(y1)=m_{u}\frac{d^{2}y1}{dt^{2}}[/tex]

So your equations are correct except for the sign on the damper force in the first equation.

doing what i did before i gte the transfer function to be

[tex]
\frac{s^{2}m_{u}+sc+k+k_{t}}{s^{4}(m_{u}m_{s})+s^{3}(cm_{s}+cm_{u})+s^{2}(m_{s}k+m_{s}k_{t})+s(ck_{t})+kk_{t}}
[/tex]

plugging in the values i get an unstable system and the impulse response is exponentially increasing

for k = 30 N/mm (and also kt) i put in the value of 30*10^-3 right ?
I have tried it both with 30 and 30*10^-3 and it is still the same response...

and i thought this was going to be a simple question...

exidez said:
doing what i did before i gte the transfer function to be

[tex]
\frac{s^{2}m_{u}+sc+k+k_{t}}{s^{4}(m_{u}m_{s})+s^{3}(cm_{s}+cm_{u})+s^{2}(m_{s}k+m_{s}k_{t})+s(ck_{t})+kk_{t}}
[/tex]

plugging in the values i get an unstable system and the impulse response is exponentially increasing

for k = 30 N/mm (and also kt) i put in the value of 30*10^-3 right ?
I have tried it both with 30 and 30*10^-3 and it is still the same response...

and i thought this was going to be a simple question...

k (and kt) are in N/mm so their values in SI units would be 30N/mm or 30x10^3 N/m

1. What is car suspension?

Car suspension is a system of springs, shocks, and other components that connect a vehicle's wheels to its frame. It is responsible for absorbing shocks and vibrations from the road, and maintaining stability and control of the vehicle.

2. How does car suspension work?

Car suspension works by using a combination of springs and dampers to absorb the energy from bumps and vibrations in the road. The springs compress and expand, while the dampers control the rate at which they do so. This helps to keep the wheels in contact with the road and maintain stability.

3. What is a coupled ODE in car suspension?

A coupled ODE, or coupled ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a car's suspension system. It takes into account the interactions between the different components of the suspension, such as the springs and dampers, to accurately predict the movement of the vehicle.

4. Why is car suspension important?

Car suspension is important for several reasons. It helps to improve the ride comfort of a vehicle by absorbing shocks and vibrations from the road. It also plays a crucial role in maintaining control and stability of the vehicle, especially during turns and maneuvers. Additionally, a well-functioning suspension system can help to prolong the life of other vehicle components, such as tires and axles.

5. What are the signs of a failing car suspension?

Some common signs of a failing car suspension include excessive bouncing or swaying while driving, uneven tire wear, and a rough or uncomfortable ride. You may also notice a pulling or drifting sensation while turning, or a knocking or clunking noise when going over bumps. It is important to have your suspension system inspected and repaired if you notice any of these symptoms.