Vertical Component of a ball rolling off table

In summary, a ball rolls off a table with a horizontal velocity of 5 m/s and takes 0.6 seconds to reach the floor. The vertical component of the ball's velocity just before it hits the floor is 6 m/s downward and the horizontal component remains at 5 m/s.
Chuck Norris

Homework Statement

A ball rolls off a table with a horizontal velocity of 5 m/s. If it takes 0.6 seconds for it to reach the floor what is the vertical component of the ball's velocity just before it hits the floor? (use g= 10 m/s^2)

The second part of the question is what is the horizontal componenet ofthe ball's velocity just before it hits the floor?

Homework Equations

D vert: 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if this is correct:

Dvert = 1/2at^2
1/2(10m/s^2)(0.6s)^2
Dvert= 1.8m

For the second part, would I do the exact same thing but plug in different times to plot the different spots the ball would project at on the way down?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chuck Norris said:
I'm not sure if this is correct:

Dvert = 1/2at^2
1/2(10m/s^2)(0.6s)^2
Dvert= 1.8m
You're supposed to find the velocity, not the distance fallen.

1] Your answer to A is in m, yet you are asked for m/s.

2] Seems to me the answers are pretty simple. The vertical component and horizontal component are completely independent of each other. It would seem to me that the horizontal component is trivial (almost a trick question) - it does not even need to be calculated.

So then am I using the wrong formula all together?

Chuck Norris said:
So then am I using the wrong formula all together?
Yep. You're using a formula for distance, but you need the formula for velocity.

V = V0 + at

V= 5 m/s + (10m/s^2)(0.6s)

V= 5.6 m/s?

I'm sure this is the wrong formula also.

Chuck Norris said:
V = V0 + at

V= 5 m/s + (10m/s^2)(0.6s)

V= 5.6 m/s?

I'm sure this is the wrong formula also.
This is the right formula, but you are using the wrong initial velocity. (5 m/s is the horizontal component of the initial velocity, not the vertical.) Treat vertical motion separately from horizontal. (Also: Double check your arithmetic.)

V = Vo + at

V= 0 + (10 m/s^2)(0.6s)

V= 6 m/s

I'm assuming since there is not a initial velocity given in the problem that the initial velocity is assumed to be 0. Sorry for all the dumb questions, physics has just been rough for me so far. Thanks for all your help so far.

Chuck Norris said:
V = Vo + at

V= 0 + (10 m/s^2)(0.6s)

V= 6 m/s
Perfect. The vertical component is 6 m/s downward. (So they might want you to call it - 6 m/s.)

Awesome! Thank you so much. Now for the second part,
what is the horizontal componenet ofthe ball's velocity just before it hits the floor?

Would I use the formula d(horiziontal)=Vot?

Now I'm confused because if I use that formula and plug in the initial velocity of 0 obviously I'm going to get an answer of 0.

Chuck Norris said:
Awesome! Thank you so much. Now for the second part,
what is the horizontal componenet ofthe ball's velocity just before it hits the floor?

Would I use the formula d(horiziontal)=Vot?

Now I'm confused because if I use that formula and plug in the initial velocity of 0 obviously I'm going to get an answer of 0.

What is the initial horizontal velocity of the ball? What forces are acting on the ball horizontally (i.e. acceleration)?

DaveC426913 said:
What is the initial horizontal velocity of the ball? What forces are acting on the ball horizontally (i.e. acceleration)?

The intial horizontal velocity is 5 m/s when it rolls off the table.

So would it be:

d=Vot

D= (5m/s)(0.6s)

d= 3m?

nevermind i see that I'm looking for velocity again yet i went back to answering in distance

Would I just use the same formula as I used with the vertical component but plug in the 5m/s as the initial velocity instead of 0?

Haha wait so is the answer just 5 m/s? Because horizontal velocity doesn't change?

You're overthinking it. What is the initial horizontal v? What force(s) are acting to change the horizontal v?

The initial horizontal velocity is 5 m/s correct? I don't believe any forces are acting to change it...

unless the initial horizontal velocity is just zero...since there are no forces changing it

Chuck Norris said:
The initial horizontal velocity is 5 m/s correct? I don't believe any forces are acting to change it...
Correct and correct.

So...

The answer is just 5 m/s.

maybe?

Chuck Norris said:
The answer is just 5 m/s.
Right. The horizontal velocity component starts out at 5 m/s and stays at 5 m/s. Gravity only affects the vertical component.

1. What is the vertical component of a ball rolling off a table?

The vertical component of a ball rolling off a table is the component of the ball's motion that is perpendicular to the surface of the table. It is the force that causes the ball to move vertically, either upwards or downwards.

2. What factors affect the vertical component of a ball rolling off a table?

The vertical component of a ball rolling off a table is affected by several factors, including the angle at which the ball is released, the mass and size of the ball, and the gravitational pull of the Earth.

3. How does the vertical component of a ball rolling off a table affect its trajectory?

The vertical component of a ball rolling off a table determines the height and direction of the ball's trajectory. If there is a significant vertical component, the ball will travel higher and further away from the table. If there is no vertical component, the ball will simply roll off the edge of the table and fall straight to the ground.

4. How does the vertical component of a ball rolling off a table relate to its potential and kinetic energy?

The vertical component of a ball rolling off a table is directly related to its potential and kinetic energy. As the ball rolls off the table, it gains potential energy due to its increased height, and loses kinetic energy as it slows down due to the force of gravity. Once it reaches its maximum height, all of its kinetic energy is converted into potential energy. As it falls back down, the potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy, causing the ball to accelerate towards the ground.

5. How can the vertical component of a ball rolling off a table be calculated?

The vertical component of a ball rolling off a table can be calculated using the formula: vertical component = initial velocity * sin(angle of release). This formula takes into account the initial velocity of the ball and the angle at which it is released from the table. By plugging in these values, the vertical component of the ball's motion can be determined.