Force carrier particles i.e. gravitons, photons

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of force carrier particles and their role in carrying forces such as gravity and electromagnetism. The existence of these particles is still hypothetical and they are primarily used as a mathematical tool. While they appear in the Hamiltonian operator, they do not necessarily physically manifest in interactions.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

How do force carrier particles work? For example, if I drop an object, the force of gravity is carried by gravitons. Does this mean that there is a long stream of gravitons underneath/all around the object? Because the wave would need to be carried through the medium of gravitons. Is this true?

Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
Well, this is all hypothetical, so it may not be true. I'm guessing there isn't much evidence for force carrier particles?

They're a mathematical convenience.

The Hamiltonian operator of the force is an infinite sum of products of a finite number of creation and annihilation operators of particles.

For the electromagnetic force between two electrons, for example, or between an electron and a photon, those operators are of electrons and photons.

But that doesn't mean that any electron or photon is actually annihilated or created.

The photon being a "carrier" or "mediator" for the electromagnetic force only means that its operators appear in the Hamiltonian, not that they themselves actually appear in the interaction. :smile:

I'm confused... they're there, but also not there?

I have never heard of the Hamiltonian operator, I will google it.

I can provide some insight into the concept of force carrier particles. Force carrier particles are subatomic particles that mediate the fundamental forces of nature, such as gravity and electromagnetism. They are responsible for transmitting the force between two interacting particles.

In the case of gravitons, they are believed to be the force carrier particles for the gravitational force. However, it is important to note that the concept of gravitons is still a theoretical concept and has not been directly observed or proven. It is a part of the theory of quantum gravity, which aims to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

As for your question about whether there is a long stream of gravitons underneath or around an object, it is not entirely accurate. Gravitons, if they exist, are not particles that flow in a continuous stream like water. Instead, they are exchanged between particles during interactions, much like the exchange of photons in the electromagnetic force. This exchange of gravitons is what carries the force of gravity between objects.

Furthermore, the concept of a medium through which gravitons travel is not applicable in the same way it is for other forces like sound or light. Gravitons, if they exist, would travel through the fabric of space-time, which is not a physical medium but rather a mathematical construct.

In summary, the idea of force carrier particles is a key concept in understanding the fundamental forces of nature. While the concept of gravitons is still a theoretical concept, it may help us better understand the nature of gravity and its interactions with matter.

What are force carrier particles?

Force carrier particles are particles that are responsible for transmitting forces between particles in the universe. They are known as gauge bosons and play a crucial role in the fundamental forces of nature.

What is the difference between gravitons and photons?

Gravitons are the force carrier particles for the force of gravity, while photons are the force carrier particles for the electromagnetic force. Gravitons have a spin of 2, while photons have a spin of 1.

How are force carrier particles detected?

Force carrier particles are not directly detected, but their effects can be observed through experiments and calculations. For example, the existence of photons can be confirmed through the photoelectric effect.

Can force carrier particles be created or destroyed?

Force carrier particles cannot be created or destroyed, as they are fundamental particles in the universe. They can only be exchanged between particles during interactions.

Do force carrier particles have mass?

Some force carrier particles, such as the W and Z bosons, have mass, while others, like photons and gluons, are massless. The mass of a particle affects the range and strength of the force it mediates.