How to measure capacitance of capacitor using these materials only?

In summary: That's how you measure current. Hi, thanks for your reply.Without a proper time function you can't solve your problem.
krzysiek
Hi,

How can I measure the capacitance of a capacitor, using the following:

a battery,

a digital voltmeter (which records voltage as a function of time),

a digital ammeter (which records current as a function of time),

an industrial capacitor,

two copper plates,

and several bits of copper wire.

I know that the capacitance is how much charge can be held between the two plates of a capacitor, but I never really needed to look into a way of doing it manually using single components.

I also have to construct a second capacitor from the copper plates, whose capacitance equals that of the industrial capacitor.

If you could help me with a bit of information on that, I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Some things to keep in mind:

The capacitance indicates how much charge is stored for a given voltage.

Current is the quantity of charge per unit of time, so if your ammeter records the current as a function of time, you should be able to find the total charge that has flowed.

Now, how would you measure the voltage?

Chi Meson, thank you for you reply and time.

Using C = Q/V, and amps being related to charge, we can say that Voltage = Q/C, so to work out the voltage, we would get the value of the reading of the ammeter and divide it by the value of the capacitance? Is that so?

In which case, to work out the value of the capacitance, wouldn't it just be the value of the reading of the ammeter divided by the voltage of the battery? But that seems wrong, because it would be much too easy a question to ask, especially since I have to write an essay response for this to explain how I would do it.

bump, can anyone please help? I need to formula a 500 word essay on this and I am not sure where to start.

I am not sure how can you use the copper plate, maybe it intends to function like a rheostate but it doesn't seem that way.
If you don't even have a time watch, i think there isn't much you can do.
If you do have one, you may try working out a I-t graph, which give you the total charge stored, and than mark the maximum voltage.

But aren't the units of voltage and amps measured in units per second? Wouldn't that suffice as a tool to measure time, in some indirect way?

The problem is, Q=CV is only true during steady state, if you are to calculate statis of a charging or discharging capacitor, you must put together an exponetial graph.

Hmm, it seems I am out of luck then - as my knowledge on how to do this is very limited when it comes to building a device or devising a method on how to do it with the given materials. This assignment is ridiculous!

actually building a theoretical capacitor isn't very hard, given that you have the capacitance you need, a parallel plate capacitor can vary its capacitance by adjusting the distance between two plate when connected to a voltage supply.
Oh, I just notice you have digital meters, does it means you have the I-t graph and V-t graph, if it is, than you can work out the capacitance pretty easily.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Well, I believe we do have the I/t and V/t graphs as they are not analogue. But I am still missing the point on how to do it. But thanks for the tip on varying the distance between the plates to alter capacitance, i'll be sure to use that when writing the final essay.

krzysiek said:
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Well, I believe we do have the I/t and V/t graphs as they are not analogue. But I am still missing the point on how to do it. But thanks for the tip on varying the distance between the plates to alter capacitance, i'll be sure to use that when writing the final essay.

The are under the graph I-t is the total charge stored and the area under the graph V-t is the power delivered by the power cell, which i remember to be twice the amont of energy transferred to the capacitor

I don't understand what a digital voltmeter (which records voltage as a function of time), and a digital ammeter (which records current as a function of time) are. I always considered a voltmeter as giving instant voltage and an Ammeter giving amps/second. For faster changing voltages and currents I've always used oscilloscopes.
Without a proper time function you can't solve your problem.
You can try this;
Short the capacitor out. Connect your power source through a resistor and a switch to the capacitor. Measure the voltage of the power source. Connect the voltmeter across the capacitor and then short the switch and time how long it takes the voltage to reach about .98 of the supply voltage. If the capacitor charge too quickly, increase the resistor value so that is takes more than 10 seconds to reach your value. The time will be close to the product of the resistance and capacitance times 5. That should give you an idea of what the capacitance it. The larger your time, the more accurate will be your result. You can use a 555 timer chip to automate this process.
If you want to make a capacitor you need to know that plate area is directly proportional to capacitance. Distance between plates is inversely proportional to capacitance. The material between the plates affects capacitance directly (a constant). Also consider how stiff the material between plates needs to be. Good luck

I have the same kind of task. I have to design a circuit that measures capacitance. Thee limitations are that I have not studies transistors or inductors or diodes or all that and my knowledge is pretty limited. All i know is basic electronics and logic. Can you please help me design such a circuit?

1. What materials do I need to measure capacitance of a capacitor?

To measure capacitance of a capacitor, you will need a capacitor, a power source, a multimeter, and connecting wires.

2. How do I connect the materials to measure capacitance?

You will need to connect the positive terminal of the capacitor to the positive terminal of the power source, and the negative terminal of the capacitor to the negative terminal of the power source. Then, connect the multimeter to the capacitor by placing the positive probe on the positive terminal of the capacitor and the negative probe on the negative terminal of the capacitor.

3. What settings should I use on my multimeter to measure capacitance?

You should set your multimeter to the capacitance measurement mode, which is usually indicated by a symbol that looks like a parallel plate capacitor.

4. How do I interpret the measurement on my multimeter?

The measurement displayed on your multimeter is the capacitance of the capacitor in farads (F). If the measurement is in a different unit, such as microfarads (uF) or picofarads (pF), you can convert it to farads by moving the decimal point to the left (uF) or right (pF) by the corresponding number of places.

5. Why is it important to measure capacitance of a capacitor?

Measuring capacitance of a capacitor is important because it allows you to determine the amount of charge the capacitor can store and how quickly it can charge or discharge. This information is useful in many electronic applications where capacitors are used, such as in filters, oscillators, and timing circuits.