A few more questions about quantum teleportation

In summary: I have the clothes to wear in England, all I have to do is figure out how to get there and I'm there!
hammertime
The argument is often made that quantum teleportation is completely unrelated to Star-Trek style teleportation, but isn't the main issue just a matter of scaling? Is there something that fundamentally prevents us from scaling the process up to a macroscopic object, like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

I understand that, for example, there are interactions constantly going on between the atoms of a macroscopic object, but don't those interactions stop at absolute zero? Isn't there some way to get around this? Couldn't we, in theory, find a way to send not just the quantum states of the constituent atoms but also their correlations with each other? Isn't there some way quantum decoherence for a macroscopic object can be prevented?

I also understand that, in order to perform QT on a macroscopic object, one would need a group of "receiver atoms" at the destination onto which the quantum state of the initial atoms could be projected. Again, isn't this merely a matter of developing the technology required to put that mass together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't there some way quantum decoherence can be prevented in a generalized, parctical way?"

If you could find a way to do this you'd win a Nobel prize and possibly be the richest man alive.

Better start with quantum computing :)

hammertime said:
The argument is often made that quantum teleportation is completely unrelated to Star-Trek style teleportation, but isn't the main issue just a matter of scaling? Is there something that fundamentally prevents us from scaling the process up to a macroscopic object, like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

Yes, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is absolutely an obstacle - just one of many. How are you going to clone/teleport object A when you cannot - in principle - determine half of its essential characteristics? And that is, of course, assuming you could determine the other half without otherwise disturbing the object.

hammertime said:
I also understand that, in order to perform QT on a macroscopic object, one would need a group of "receiver atoms" at the destination onto which the quantum state of the initial atoms could be projected. Again, isn't this merely a matter of developing the technology required to put that mass together?

You're missing the forest for the trees. QT has nothing to do with getting something from one place to another. Teleportation of physical things really has nothing to do with QT at all.

Consider:
1] At the transmitting end, you first need to determine and record the position of each individual atom.
2] At the receiving end, you need to place each atom in its physical location (including adding any binding energy to hold the atoms together as molecules).

What does QT have to do with any of that?

DrChinese said:
Yes, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is absolutely an obstacle - just one of many. How are you going to clone/teleport object A when you cannot - in principle - determine half of its essential characteristics? And that is, of course, assuming you could determine the other half without otherwise disturbing the object.

But isn't QT supposed to be a way to work around the HUP?

DaveC426913 said:
You're missing the forest for the trees. QT has nothing to do with getting something from one place to another. Teleportation of physical things really has nothing to do with QT at all.

Consider:
1] At the transmitting end, you first need to determine and record the position of each individual atom.
2] At the receiving end, you need to place each atom in its physical location (including adding any binding energy to hold the atoms together as molecules).

What does QT have to do with any of that?

Well, if you can construct a replica of the object to be teleported and then send the object's quantum state to the reciever, you would basically be teleporting the object, right? I know, right now we don't know how to build the object, but it CAN be done, right? Perhaps with nanotechnology?

Can DrChinese and DaveC426913 please answer my questions?

hammertime said:
Well, if you can construct a replica of the object to be teleported and then send the object's quantum state to the reciever, you would basically be teleporting the object, right?
Why would that be so?

hammertime said:
I know, right now we don't know how to build the object, but it CAN be done, right? Perhaps with nanotechnology?
If we don't have the ability to do something yet then we don't have the ability to do it yet. How does setting its quantum states get us any further toward that goal?

It's kind of like saying I have the clothes to wear in England, all I have to do is figure out how to get there and I'm there!

DaveC426913 said:
Why would that be so?

If we don't have the ability to do something yet then we don't have the ability to do it yet. How does setting its quantum states get us any further toward that goal?

It's kind of like saying I have the clothes to wear in England, all I have to do is figure out how to get there and I'm there!

If you have a group of receiver atoms at the destination onto which you can project the quantum states of the atoms at the origin, isn't the end result the same as physically transporting the object?

I mean, I've read from plenty of sources that it's possible, at least in theory, to scale up QT to macroscopic objects. What stands in our way? Interactions between particles in an object?

What about Bell measurements? I've heard that they're in some way related to QT, but how would they relate to QT of a macroscopic object?

1. What is quantum teleportation?

Quantum teleportation is a process by which the exact state of a quantum system (such as the spin of an electron or the polarization of a photon) can be transmitted from one location to another, with the help of classical communication and previously shared quantum entanglement.

2. How is quantum teleportation different from traditional teleportation?

Traditional teleportation, as seen in science fiction, involves the instantaneous transportation of an object or person from one location to another. Quantum teleportation, on the other hand, involves transmitting information about the quantum state of an object, which is then used to create a copy of the object at another location.

3. What are the potential applications of quantum teleportation?

Quantum teleportation has potential applications in quantum computing, secure communication, and quantum cryptography. It could also be used to transmit information over long distances without the need for physical transport, which could have implications for space exploration and disaster relief efforts.

4. What are the challenges in implementing quantum teleportation?

One of the main challenges in implementing quantum teleportation is the need for highly controlled and isolated quantum systems, as any interference or measurement can cause the quantum state to collapse. Additionally, the successful transmission of quantum information relies on the ability to maintain and control quantum entanglement between the sender and receiver.

5. Is quantum teleportation currently possible?

Yes, quantum teleportation has been successfully demonstrated in laboratory settings using photons, ions, and other quantum systems. However, there are still challenges in scaling up the technology for practical applications and increasing the distance over which quantum teleportation can occur.