Can anybody recommend me some good books on C++?

• Thread starter xbomber88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, a good book to start learning C++ programming is Bjarne Stroustrup's "C++: The standard library". It is dense, but a good introduction to the language. Another good option is "Problem Solving with C++", which is a short book with many standard library features.
xbomber88
I'm planning on teaching myself C++. Does anybody know of any good books to learn from? I have a little bit of prior programming experience with java but not all that much.

Physics news on Phys.org
C++ programming language by Bjarne Stroustrup is pretty good

Stroustrup is the bible (well, that and the C++ standard), but it's pretty dense and not a particularly great introduction in my opinion. Better to read it after you already know, or think you know, some C++.

I would start with https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201721481/?tag=pfamazon01-20, but be sure to get the 4th edition, which is a massive improvement over the previous editions.

Another good option if you want to start right away with the standard library features is http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/". It is only a few hundred pages in length, though, so it doesn't have nearly the coverage of Stroustrup or Lippman/Lajoie/Moo.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one i have used is, Walter Savitch, Problem Solving with C++.
I must say it is one of the best book i have used. it is quite expensive, for the reason that its very good. also if you are a beginner try C++.com, although it might not be so helpful

very easy language ...book named
information practices by sumita arora
dhanpat rai and publications

I can only speak on experience, Gaddis Krupnow Starting out with C++ 5th Edition. I had never seen C++ in my life before and this book got me a high distinction

Second Problem Solving with C++ by Walter Savitch
Another book by Walter Savitch is Absolute C++

Both cover similar topics...
I must say for beginning programmer, O'reilly's Practical C++ Programming is also nice.

51XZZ9RV4BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I do not agree that it's a simple language. There are a lot of pitfalls. But Koenig & Moo try to start you off on the right foot with modern "idomatic" C++.

Sometimes when people mention C++, they really mean C, and for that Kernighan and Ritchie is still the go to book.

41G0l2eBPNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

1. What are some good books for beginners to learn C++?

Some good books for beginners to learn C++ are "C++ Primer" by Stanley B. Lippman, "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup, and "Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example" by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo. These books are highly recommended for their clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of C++ concepts.

2. Are there any books specifically for advanced C++ programmers?

Yes, there are several books that are geared towards advanced C++ programmers. Some popular options include "Effective Modern C++" by Scott Meyers, "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup, and "C++ Concurrency in Action" by Anthony Williams. These books dive deeper into advanced topics and techniques in C++ programming.

3. What are some good books for learning C++ for game development?

For those interested in game development, some recommended books on C++ are "Beginning C++ Game Programming" by Michael Dawson, "Game Programming Patterns" by Robert Nystrom, and "C++ for Game Programmers" by Mike Dickheiser. These books cover the fundamentals of C++ programming and how it applies to game development.

4. Are there any online resources for learning C++ instead of books?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning C++. Some popular options include Codecademy, Coursera, and Udemy. These platforms offer interactive courses, tutorials, and exercises to help you learn C++ at your own pace.

5. Can you recommend any books on C++ for data structures and algorithms?

Absolutely! Some good books for learning C++ for data structures and algorithms are "Data Structures and Algorithms in C++" by Michael T. Goodrich, "C++ Data Structures and Algorithms" by Rod Stephens, and "Problem Solving with C++" by Walter Savitch. These books cover the fundamentals of data structures and algorithms using C++ and provide exercises for practice.