Effect of Outlier on Confidence Interval Width

• Thread starter needhelp83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sample size
In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the sample mean and standard deviation, constructing a confidence interval for the population mean, and the effect of changing a data value on the width of the interval. The sample mean was calculated to be 438.29 and the sample standard deviation was 15.27. Using these values, a 90% confidence interval for the population mean was constructed to be (431.82, 444.76). It was determined that if the value 418 in the original data was changed to 518, the interval in question 2 would be wider due to the increase in the sample standard deviation.
needhelp83
[tex]\begin{tabular}{lcr}
418 & 421 & 422 & 425& 427 & 431 \tabularnewline
434 & 437 & 439 & 446 & 447 & 448 & 453 \tabularnewline
454 & 463 & 465
\end{tabular}[/tex]

1. Calc the sample mean and sample standard deviation. [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{17} x_i=7451[/tex] and [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{17} x_i^2=3269399[/tex]

n=17 [tex]\overline{x}=\frac{7451}{17}=438.29[/tex]

s^2=[tex]\frac{17(\frac{3269399}{17}*(438.29)^2}{16}=\sqrt{233.18}=15.27[/tex]

2. Assuming that the population of degree polymerization has a normal dist, construct a 90% CI for the pop mean degree of polymerization.

[tex]438.29 \pm T_{.10/2,n-1}*\frac{15.27}{\sqrt{17}}[/tex]
[tex]438.29 \pm 1.746*\frac{15.27}{\sqrt{17}}[/tex]
[tex]438.29 \pm 6.466[/tex]
(431.82,444.76)

3. If the value 418 in the original data was 518 instead, would the interval in question 2 be wider or narrower? Explain

I was wondering if I had interpreted this correctly. I answered:

The interval would be (434.14,454.21)

w=width
Since w/2 = [tex]\alpha / 2 * \sigma / \sqrt{n}[/tex], we can say that since the sample sd increased the width increased as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Additionally, the sample size remained the same, so the sqrt{n} would not have changed. Therefore, the increase of the sample sd would have increased the width of the interval.

What is considered a "small sample size" in scientific research?

A small sample size is typically defined as having less than 30 subjects or observations. However, the specific definition may vary depending on the field of study and the type of research being conducted.

Why is having a small sample size a problem in scientific research?

Having a small sample size can lead to inaccurate results and limit the generalizability of the findings. This is because a small sample may not accurately represent the larger population, making it difficult to draw reliable conclusions.

Can a small sample size still produce valid results?

Yes, a small sample size can still produce valid results if the study is well-designed and the sample is representative of the population. However, the smaller the sample size, the greater the risk of error and bias in the findings.

How can researchers address the issue of small sample sizes?

Researchers can address the issue of small sample sizes by carefully selecting a representative sample, using appropriate statistical methods, and acknowledging the limitations of their study. They may also consider increasing the sample size or conducting multiple studies with larger samples to confirm their findings.

Are there any advantages to having a small sample size in research?

Yes, there are some advantages to having a small sample size in research. It can be more cost-effective, require less time and resources, and allow for a more in-depth analysis of the data. However, these advantages must be balanced with the potential limitations and risks of drawing conclusions from a small sample.