Energy gap from conductivity- temperature graph

In summary, Gokul43201 is trying to find the energy gap of an intrinsic semiconductor using the Boltzmann equation. However, he is not sure if his graph is correct. He asks for help from another user, who tells him to use the slope of the ln(n) against ln(1/T) line to get the energy gap.
life is maths

Homework Statement

Hi, I have some values of conductivity in some temperatures.

0.01 at 400 Kelvin
10 at 600 K
70 at 700 K
1000 at 1000 K

And I'm asked to find the energy gap of this intrinsic semi- conductor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to plot a graph according to the formula

Eg= -2k [''Delta''lnn/ ''Delta''(1/T)]
(I tried to put the letter delta, but it does not show up.)

I think it is a graph similar to y= 1/x, but I couldn't figure out how to calculate the energy gap. And I'm not sure my graph is true. Could you please help me? Thanks for your time and effort.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start at the beginning. What is the relationship between conductivity (or carrier concentration) and temperature in an intrinsic semiconductor?

PS: Some useful symbols to copy-paste: δερσΔΩ∑∫∂ (or you can use the built-in latex feature)

As far as I know,

Eg= -2k[tex]\Delta[/tex]lnn/(1/T)

I don't know any other way. I will try it again now, since the deadline is tomorrow.
I guess I will multiply the slope of lnn-1/T graph by -2k,the Boltzmann constant.

Thanks, Gokul43201. I know the latex stuff a bit, but that day my computer didn't respond well. And I would appreciate any help, since this subject really confuses me.

life is maths said:
I guess I will multiply the slope of lnn-1/T graph by -2k,the Boltzmann constant.
That should work. Your equation above is correct in that it is generally a good approximation for intrinsic semiconductors above 300K or so.

Thanks again, Gokul43201, I drew the graph, but I have another question now: Since I need to find the energy gap according to that formula, I get many values from the intervals. Which interval should I use or are there more than one value for energy gap? I'm totally lost.
Thank you.

I thought your plan was to plot ln(n) against ln(1/T) and find the slope of the line. If it wasn't, that's certainly the easiest way to do it, because the slope of the line gives Δln(n)/Δ(1/T).

Yes, you're so very right, ideasrule. How can I do such a foolish mistake? :( Then what way should I use? Thank you.

Eg is just -2k times the slope, according to your equation, so that should get you directly to your answer.

Thanks, but I do not have the concentration values, I only have conductivity and temperature. How am I supposed to find the energy gap from their graph?

1. What is an energy gap in a conductivity-temperature graph?

The energy gap in a conductivity-temperature graph refers to the energy difference between the valence band (filled with electrons) and the conduction band (empty or partially filled with electrons) in a material. It is a measure of a material's ability to conduct electricity at different temperatures.

2. How is the energy gap related to a material's conductivity?

The energy gap is directly related to a material's conductivity. A smaller energy gap means that electrons can easily move from the valence band to the conduction band, making the material a better conductor of electricity. Conversely, a larger energy gap means that electrons require more energy to move, resulting in a lower conductivity.

3. What factors affect the energy gap in a material?

The energy gap in a material can be affected by various factors, such as the material's composition, structure, and temperature. For example, certain materials may have a larger energy gap due to the presence of impurities or defects, while changes in temperature can also cause the energy gap to increase or decrease.

4. How is the energy gap measured in a conductivity-temperature graph?

In a conductivity-temperature graph, the energy gap is measured as the difference between the valence band and conduction band energies at a specific temperature. This can be determined by finding the point where the conductivity begins to increase rapidly as the temperature increases.

5. What is the significance of the energy gap in material science?

The energy gap is an important concept in material science as it affects a material's electrical and optical properties. It is also a key factor in determining the suitability of a material for various applications, such as in electronic devices or solar cells. Understanding and manipulating the energy gap in materials can lead to the development of new and improved technologies.