Use of 8255 programmable peripheral interface

• Thread starter erece
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interface
In summary, the 8085 processor has a separate 256 port I/O address space, but this is only for addressing purposes and does not necessarily correspond to physical ports. The 8255 programmable peripheral interface is used to provide the physical logic for efficient parallel I/O, and it can be mapped to either the 8 bit I/O address space or the 16 bit memory address space.
erece
In 8085 nicroprocessor , we have 256 ports, which means we can connect 256 I/O devices with 8085 at a time (i'm not sure).
Then why do we use 8255 programmable peripheral interface to interface I/O devices with 8085 as it only has 3 ports??

Engineering news on Phys.org
erece said:
In 8085 nicroprocessor , we have 256 ports, which means we can connect 256 I/O devices with 8085 at a time (i'm not sure).
Then why do we use 8255 programmable peripheral interface to interface I/O devices with 8085 as it only has 3 ports??

You can have a lot more than 256 "ports" if you want to memory map them, but yes the 8085 processor has a separate 256 port (8 bit) I/O address space. The point however is that this is merely an address space, it's not a physical port implementation.

The 8255 port provides the physical logic (latches and handshaking logic) to implement efficient parallel I/O. Whether or not you choose to map the 8255 to the 8 bit I/O address space or to part of the regular 16 bit memory address space is completely up to you.

1. What is the purpose of the 8255 programmable peripheral interface?

The 8255 programmable peripheral interface is a versatile integrated circuit that serves as an interface between a computer and external devices such as sensors, actuators, and other peripheral devices. Its main purpose is to act as a communication bridge, allowing data to be transferred between the computer and external devices.

2. How does the 8255 programmable peripheral interface work?

The 8255 programmable peripheral interface has three ports: Port A, Port B, and Port C. Each port can be configured as an input or output port. The interface uses a set of control registers to control the direction and data transfer between these ports, making it possible for the computer to send and receive data from external devices.

3. What microprocessors are compatible with the 8255 programmable peripheral interface?

The 8255 programmable peripheral interface is compatible with a wide range of microprocessors, including Intel 8085, 8086, and 8088, as well as Motorola 6800 and 68000. It can also be used with microcontrollers such as the Intel 8051 and the Zilog Z80.

4. What are the advantages of using the 8255 programmable peripheral interface?

The 8255 programmable peripheral interface offers several advantages for interfacing with external devices. It is highly flexible and can be easily programmed to meet specific communication requirements. It also has a relatively simple interface, making it easy to use even for those without extensive technical knowledge.

5. What are some common applications of the 8255 programmable peripheral interface?

The 8255 programmable peripheral interface has a wide range of applications in various industries. Some common uses include data acquisition, industrial control systems, and communication with external devices such as sensors and actuators. It is also commonly used in embedded systems and robotics.