Adding Voltages: Calculate Peak Value of U3

• Thread starter Lindsayyyy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Peak Value
In summary: Yes, I think it's rarely listed because it's derivative, ie it can be derived from the basic trigonometric identities …
Lindsayyyy

Homework Statement

Hi,

Two given Voltages:
U1(t)= 40V * cos(wt)
U2(t)= 120V * sin(wt)

wheres w means omega.

Now I have to sum them up to U3= U1+U2

and calculate the peak value of U3.

2. The attempt at a solution

My problem is, I'm not sure if the following is allowed:

calculate the root mean square(RMS) of U1 and U2, sum them up.

And solve the Equation:

U(RMS) = U0/sqrt(2)

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

bb

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lindsayyyy! :smile:

You must learn all your trigonometric identities …

what is Acosx + Bsinx ? :wink:

Thanks for your fast reply. I'll found the one I need. I didn't find it when I was looking for it. If I have any further troubles, I'll ask you guys.

But do you know if it's allowed the way I tried it? I'm note sure because the voltages have a different phase.

Your solution technique from the first post in this thread is incorrect.

If the signals were in phase, you could just add the peak values.

Converting to from peak amplitude to RMS, adding the RMS values, and then converting back to peak in this situation is pointless. The RMS is proportional to the peak magnitude for these waveforms. So what you were describing would be like calculating

[tex]\frac{ax + ay}{a}[/tex]

which is unecessary as the expression is equal to x + y.

MisterX said:
If the signals were in phase, you could just add the peak values.

But they're 90° out of phase. :confused:

Ok, I get the point. Solved it via the identity given bei tiny-tim. I didn't find it in the first place, looks like this identity is quite rare?

my solution was about 126,49 V if I remember correctly. I also tried to derive U3 but I don't know how to find the nulls of the function.

Thanks for your help :)

Lindsayyyy said:
Ok, I get the point. Solved it via the identity given bei tiny-tim. I didn't find it in the first place, looks like this identity is quite rare?

Yes, I think it's rarely listed because it's derivative, ie it can be derived from the basic trigonometric identities …

but it's not obvious, and it's very useful, so I think it should be better publicised! :smile:

What is the purpose of calculating peak value of U3?

The peak value of U3 is used to determine the maximum voltage that the circuit can handle. This is important for ensuring that the circuit components do not get damaged by excessive voltage.

How do you calculate the peak value of U3?

The peak value of U3 can be calculated by multiplying the RMS value of the voltage by the square root of 2. This is because the peak value is equal to the RMS value multiplied by the peak factor, which is the square root of 2 for a sinusoidal waveform.

What is the RMS value of voltage?

The RMS (Root Mean Square) value of voltage is a measure of the effective voltage in an AC circuit. It is calculated by taking the square root of the average of the squared values of the voltage over one period.

Why is it important to calculate the peak value of U3 accurately?

Calculating the peak value of U3 accurately is important for ensuring the safety and proper functioning of the circuit. If the peak value is miscalculated, it could lead to damage of the circuit components and potentially cause hazards such as electrical fires.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the peak value of U3 calculation?

The accuracy of the peak value of U3 calculation can be affected by factors such as the frequency and shape of the waveform, as well as any external noise or interference in the circuit. It is important to consider these factors when calculating the peak value to ensure accuracy.