Conformal mapping application- electrostatics

In summary: V/∂u∂v)(∂u/∂y) + (∂^2V/∂u∂v)(∂u/∂y)= (∂^2V/∂u^2)(∂u/∂x)^2 + (∂^2V/∂v^2)(∂v/∂y)^2 + 2(∂^2V/∂u∂v)(∂u/∂y)= 0Since we know that ∂u/∂x and ∂v/∂y are both equal to zero (since u and v are only functions of y
Anabelle37

Homework Statement

Consider the transformation: w = i[(1-z)/1+z)]
Find the electrostatic potential V in the space enclosed by the half circle x^2 + y^2 = 1, y =>0
and the line y = 0 when V = 0 on the circular boundary and V = 1 on the line segment [-1,1].

Homework Equations

w = u + iv
z = x + iy

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for u and v by substituting w and z into the transformation.
I got:
u=2y/(x^2+2x+y^2+1)
v=(1-x^2-y^2)/(x^2+2x+y^2+1)

I found the question on this website on the last 2 pages:
http://www.math.okstate.edu/~binegar/5233-S96/5233-l13.pdf

I got the u and v the other way around than what they did but I think I'm right?

Also I don't know how they got the expression for V(u,v) to solve for the electrostatic potential.

I know the boundary conditions are V(u,0)=1 and V(0,v)=0

PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. Your approach to solving for u and v is correct. However, it seems like you are missing a step in finding the expression for V(u,v). To solve for the electrostatic potential, you need to use the Laplace equation, which states that the Laplacian of V is equal to zero. In other words:

∇^2V = 0

Using the chain rule, we can express the Laplacian of V in terms of u and v:

∇^2V = (∂^2V/∂u^2)(∂u/∂x)^2 + (∂^2V/∂v^2)(∂v/∂y)^2 + 2(∂^2V/∂u∂v)(∂u/∂x)(∂v/∂y)

Since we know that u and v are functions of x and y, we can rewrite the above equation as:

∇^2V = (∂^2V/∂u^2)(∂u/∂x)^2 + (∂^2V/∂v^2)(∂v/∂y)^2 + 2(∂^2V/∂u∂v)(∂u/∂x)(∂v/∂y)

= (∂^2V/∂u^2)(∂u/∂x)^2 + (∂^2V/∂v^2)(∂v/∂y)^2 + (∂^2V/∂u∂v)(∂u/∂y + ∂v/∂x)

= (∂^2V/∂u^2)(∂u/∂x)^2 + (∂^2V/∂v^2)(∂v/∂y)^2 + (∂^2V/∂u∂v)(∂u/∂y) + (∂^2V/∂u∂v)(∂v/∂x)

= (∂^2V/∂u^2)(∂u/∂x)^2 + (∂^2V/∂v^2)(∂v/∂y)^2 +

1. What is conformal mapping and how does it relate to electrostatics?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used to transform a complex shape onto a simpler, more understandable shape. In the context of electrostatics, conformal mapping is used to map the electric field and potential of a complicated geometry onto a simpler geometry that can be easily analyzed and understood.

2. What are some real-world applications of conformal mapping in electrostatics?

Some common applications of conformal mapping in electrostatics include analyzing the electric field and potential of complex electronic components, designing efficient and accurate capacitor models, and studying the behavior of electric fields around conductors and insulators.

3. How does conformal mapping help in solving electrostatic problems?

Conformal mapping allows us to transform a complex geometry into a simpler one, making it easier to solve electrostatic problems. This technique helps us visualize and analyze the electric field and potential in a more straightforward manner, allowing for more accurate and efficient solutions to complex electrostatic problems.

4. What are the limitations of conformal mapping in electrostatics?

Conformal mapping is only applicable to electrostatic problems in two dimensions. It also assumes that the material properties of the system are isotropic and homogeneous, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, conformal mapping can only be used for solutions in the region outside of conductors.

5. Are there any software tools available for performing conformal mapping in electrostatics?

Yes, there are several commercial and open-source software packages available for performing conformal mapping in electrostatics. Some commonly used tools include COMSOL Multiphysics, ANSYS Maxwell, and MATLAB. These software packages provide a user-friendly interface for creating and analyzing complex electrostatic systems using conformal mapping techniques.