Need textbook suggestion for linear algebra prerequisites for quantum mechanics

In summary, there are several popular textbooks for learning linear algebra as a prerequisite for quantum mechanics, but the best one for you will depend on your personal learning style and goals. It is necessary to have a strong understanding of linear algebra before studying quantum mechanics, as it is essential for understanding concepts and principles in quantum mechanics. While an introductory linear algebra textbook may cover some necessary topics, it is recommended to use a textbook specifically designed for linear algebra as a prerequisite for quantum mechanics. There are also online resources and free textbooks available, but it is important to carefully evaluate their quality and accuracy. The time it takes to learn linear algebra as a prerequisite for quantum mechanics varies, but it is generally recommended to spend at least a few months studying before moving on
ashrag
Hi, I am starting self studying quntum mechanics from Shankars textbook and need a mathematicatical methods text to cover the material he covers in his first chapter.
Having gone through ML Boas mathematical physics text didnt help much and my linear algebra background is of Strangs linear algebra and its applications.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
What knowledge does Shankar assume that Strang doesn't cover?

I don't think Shankar assumes anything that Strang doesn't cover.Sorry for not making myself clearer but I was looking for a mathematical methods book that covers Shankars first chapter (mathematical introduction).

1. What is the best textbook for learning linear algebra as a prerequisite for quantum mechanics?

There are several great textbooks for learning linear algebra as a prerequisite for quantum mechanics. Some popular options include "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. Ultimately, the best textbook for you will depend on your personal learning style and goals.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong understanding of linear algebra before studying quantum mechanics?

Yes, a strong understanding of linear algebra is essential for understanding quantum mechanics. Linear algebra is used to represent quantum states and operators, and many concepts in quantum mechanics are based on linear algebra principles. Without a solid foundation in linear algebra, it will be difficult to fully grasp the concepts of quantum mechanics.

3. Can I use an introductory linear algebra textbook for studying quantum mechanics?

While an introductory linear algebra textbook may cover some of the necessary topics for quantum mechanics, it may not go into enough depth or cover all the necessary material. It is recommended to use a textbook specifically designed for linear algebra as a prerequisite for quantum mechanics to ensure you have a thorough understanding of the subject.

4. Are there any online resources or free textbooks for learning linear algebra for quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources and free textbooks available for learning linear algebra for quantum mechanics. Some popular options include "Linear Algebra for Quantum Theory" by Ted Jacobson and "Quantum Mechanics for Mathematicians" by Leon Takhtajan. It is important to carefully evaluate the quality and accuracy of these resources before using them.

5. How long does it typically take to learn linear algebra as a prerequisite for quantum mechanics?

The amount of time it takes to learn linear algebra as a prerequisite for quantum mechanics will vary depending on your prior knowledge and dedication to studying. Generally, it is recommended to spend at least a few months studying linear algebra before moving on to quantum mechanics. It is important to take your time and fully understand the concepts before moving on to more advanced topics.