Psychological Disorders: Common Types

• Thread starter irony of truth
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a request for a list of common psychological disorders and mentions the DSM-IV, which is a reference used to diagnose mental disorders. The conversation also briefly touches on autism being a type of psychological disorder and provides a resource for more information on the topic.
irony of truth
Hello.. I just want a help for a "list".

Is autism a type of psychological disorder?

What I only know of psychological disorders are schizophrenia and depression. Can I ask for list of the very common types of psychological disorders in the society (not mental disorders).

Could someone help me? :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Psychological disorders and the DSM-IV

The Americal Psychological Association (APA) publishes The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, now in its fourth edition, for just such a purpose. Rhyme Of The Ancient Wanderer has a website that seems to me to explain the DSM-IV fairly well:
http://ivy_league0.tripod.com/rhyme_of_the_ancient_wanderer/id14.html

I have pesonally used that site as a refernce many times.

Can I ask for list of the very common types of psychological disorders in the society (not mental disorders).
I am not aware of any consistent difference between the mainstream use of the term "psychological disorder" and the mainstream use of the term "mental disorder."

Last edited:
autism is a pervasive developmental disorder (pdd). associated with aspergers syndrome.

for more information concerning autism and aspergers go to http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer

in the DSM4 it is #299. general PDD's are 299.8

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the most common types of psychological disorders?

The most common types of psychological disorders are anxiety disorders, mood disorders, personality disorders, psychotic disorders, and substance use disorders.

What are the symptoms of anxiety disorders?

The symptoms of anxiety disorders include excessive worry, restlessness, difficulty concentrating, muscle tension, and physical symptoms such as sweating and trembling.

Can psychological disorders be treated?

Yes, psychological disorders can be treated through various methods such as therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. It is important to seek help from a mental health professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Is it possible to prevent psychological disorders?

While it is not always possible to prevent psychological disorders, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk. These include maintaining a healthy lifestyle, managing stress, and seeking help for mental health concerns.

What causes psychological disorders?

There is no single cause of psychological disorders. They are often a result of a combination of genetic, environmental, and psychological factors. Traumatic experiences, chronic stress, and substance abuse can also contribute to the development of psychological disorders.