Limit of x Approaching 2: Squeeze Theorem and Rationalization | Wolfram Alpha

• Thread starter Jimbo57
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, there is a problem involving a limit as x approaches 2, where rationalizing the denominator and using the Squeeze Theorem have not been successful. The recommended approach is to use conjugate factors for both the numerator and denominator to get rid of troublesome differences that go to zero. This problem is from Stewart's book.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP32119hfegi8c73g07i600000h48cbcha52cc1ce?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=5&w=78&h=46
As x approaches 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I rationalize the denominator and that doesn't work as it gives me another undefined answer. I just finished learning the Squeeze Theorem, so I'm guessing that I may have to use that, although I don't have a clue on how to apply it here. That or the limit simply doesn't exist. Am I way off? Where would the pros start with this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I remember this one: is this out of Stewart's book? (If not, it's probably originally from the Russian collection "everyone" steals from...)

Did you try using a "conjugate factor" on the denominator, when you say you tried "rationalizing" it? Doesn't quite do the job, but it's a start. The "trick" is to also use a conjugate factor for the numerator: you want to get rid of the troublesome differences that go to zero. If you use the two conjugate factors, you'll find the troubles all clear up.

And I can tell you that the Squeeze Theorem is of no help here...

What dynamicsolo said works. The trick is rationalizing both numerator and denominator.

So do you mean to multiply the fraction by the conjugate of the denominator for both the numeratory and denominator, or is it to multiply the fraction by the conjugate of the numerator over the denominator?

NewtonianAlch said:
So do you mean to multiply the fraction by the conjugate of the denominator for both the numerator and denominator, or is it to multiply the fraction by the conjugate of the numerator over the denominator?

Neither.

multiply the fraction by the conjugate of the denominator for both the numerator and denominator

AND

multiply the fraction by the conjugate of the numerator for both the numerator and denominator

dynamicsolo said:
Ah, I remember this one: is this out of Stewart's book? (If not, it's probably originally from the Russian collection "everyone" steals from...)

Did you try using a "conjugate factor" on the denominator, when you say you tried "rationalizing" it? Doesn't quite do the job, but it's a start. The "trick" is to also use a conjugate factor for the numerator: you want to get rid of the troublesome differences that go to zero. If you use the two conjugate factors, you'll find the troubles all clear up.

And I can tell you that the Squeeze Theorem is of no help here...

It is from Stewart! Hah, good call. Thanks for the tip Dynamicsolo, I'll give it a go for sure.

What is a limit in mathematics?

In mathematics, a limit is a value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches some value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a particular point or at infinity.

How do you evaluate the limit of a function?

To evaluate the limit of a function, you can use various methods such as direct substitution, factoring, rationalizing, or L'Hopital's rule. These methods involve manipulating the function algebraically to find a value that the function approaches as the input approaches a specific value.

Can a limit exist if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, a limit can exist even if the function is not defined at that point. The limit only depends on the behavior of the function near the specific point, not the value at the point itself. So, even if the function is not defined at that point, it can still have a limit.

What is a one-sided limit?

A one-sided limit is a limit that is approached from only one side of a specific point. It is used when a function has a discontinuity or undefined at that point. A one-sided limit can be evaluated by approaching the point from either the left or the right.

Can a limit be infinite?

Yes, a limit can be infinite. If a function approaches a value that is infinitely large (positive or negative) as the input approaches a specific value, then the limit is said to be infinite. This means that the function has no finite limit at that point.