Finding the Relationship between Static Friction and Normal Force

In summary: Therefore the static friction will be proportional to the weight of the block. In summary, the goal of the lab is to find the relationship between static friction and normal force by conducting an experiment using a spring balance, weights, and different surface textures. This can be achieved by gradually increasing the force applied to a block on a rough surface until it begins to slip, with the maximum reading on the spring balance representing the static friction. By varying the weight of the block and observing how the static friction changes, we can determine that it is proportional to the normal force.
rayj098

Homework Statement

So I have this lab I have to do about finding the relationship between static friction and normal force. So basically I need to find find how the Static Friction and Normal Force relate by doing a lab experiment.

The materials I have are:
Spring balance / scale
Weights
Different surfaces of textures (probably something to do with friction)
and some sort of Cube weight.

So I just don't understand how we would conduct an experiment to find the relationship between normal force (something that goes up) and static friction (Something that is at rest).

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

My teacher also said something about Coefficient of Friction = Static friction / Normal force but I don't see how I can apply that in this lab overall.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am confused about what to do for this lab. I would really appreciate if you could give me guidance as to how I could approach this lab to find the relationship.

I know it has to do with something about measuring the mass of the weights in different frictions and I think calculating f=ma but am confused...

PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org

rayj098 said:

Homework Statement

So I have this lab I have to do about finding the relationship between static friction and normal force. So basically I need to find find how the Static Friction and Normal Force relate by doing a lab experiment.

The materials I have are:
Spring balance / scale
Weights
Different surfaces of textures (probably something to do with friction)
and some sort of Cube weight.

So I just don't understand how we would conduct an experiment to find the relationship between normal force (something that goes up) and static friction (Something that is at rest).

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

My teacher also said something about Coefficient of Friction = Static friction / Normal force but I don't see how I can apply that in this lab overall.

The Attempt at a Solution

I really am confused about what to do for this lab. I would really appreciate if you could give me guidance as to how I could approach this lab to find the relationship.

I know it has to do with something about measuring the mass of the weights in different frictions and I think calculating f=ma but am confused...

PLEASE HELP!

A common method of demonstrating static friction and kinetic friction is as follows.

A selected mass is placed on a rough surface [doesn't have to be too rough] and the spring balance is attached to one end/side. The balance is then pulled horizontally.
The balance will measure the force applied to the mass. The force is gradually increased
At a certain point, the mass begins to slip. The maximum reading, just as the mass begins to move, equals the static friction. The reading on the spring balance will immediately reduce once the block starts moving. If the operator then continues to pull on the spring balance so as to keep the mass moving at [almost] constant speed. This new [lower] reading will show you the kinetic friction.

By the sound of it, you are mainly interested in the first part - the static friction.
Perhaps next weeks lab will be about kinetic friction?

To see how Static friction varies with Normal force, you can load up the block that touches the surface and see how the static friction varies with weight. SInce you will use a flat surface, the Normal Reaction force will be the same size as the weight.

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two stationary surfaces from sliding against each other. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces, and it must be overcome by an applied force in order for motion to occur.

2. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts in the opposite direction to the force applied by the object on the surface.

3. How are static friction and normal force related?

Static friction and normal force are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the normal force increases, the static friction also increases.

4. What factors affect the relationship between static friction and normal force?

The relationship between static friction and normal force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, their roughness, and the weight of the object. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of lubricants can also affect this relationship.

5. Why is it important to understand the relationship between static friction and normal force?

Understanding the relationship between static friction and normal force is important in various fields of science and engineering. It allows us to accurately predict the amount of force needed to move an object, design structures that can withstand certain loads, and optimize the performance of machines and equipment.