2.4 GHz vs. 5.8 GHz Cordless Phones

• Thread starter AKG
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages and disadvantages of different frequencies for cordless phones, specifically comparing 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz. The scientific reasons for these differences include interference and range, with the higher frequency (2.4 GHz) potentially causing issues with wireless networks but also being able to hold more information. Additionally, it is mentioned that higher frequencies may have difficulty penetrating walls.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What are the advantages/disadvantages for one frequency of cordless phone over the other, and what are the scientific reasons for these differences? I've heard some things but the reasons for the differences sounded made up :rolleyes: Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't know about phones but i know 5GHz wifi connections don't go as far as 2.4Ghz. However 5GHz holds much more info.

When I bought my cordless phone, I had the choices of either 900 MHz or 2.4 GHz. If I remember correctly, there was supposed to be less interference with the 2.4 GHz. Either that or better range, or both.

2.4 GHz might not be good if you have a wireless network. Also, the higher the frequency the less it can pentrate walls.

1. What is the difference between 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz cordless phones?

2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz refer to the frequency at which the phones operate. This means that they use different wavelengths of radio waves to transmit and receive signals. 2.4 GHz phones operate at a lower frequency, while 5.8 GHz phones operate at a higher frequency.

2. Which frequency is better for cordless phones?

The better frequency for cordless phones depends on your specific needs and environment. 2.4 GHz phones have a longer range and can penetrate walls better, but they are more susceptible to interference from other devices such as Wi-Fi routers and microwaves. 5.8 GHz phones have a shorter range but are less likely to experience interference.

3. Can I use both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz cordless phones in my home?

Yes, you can use both types of cordless phones in your home. However, it is important to note that if you have multiple 2.4 GHz devices or a strong Wi-Fi network, it may cause interference with 2.4 GHz cordless phones. It is recommended to use different frequencies for different devices to avoid interference.

4. Do 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz cordless phones have different call quality?

The call quality for both types of cordless phones can vary depending on factors such as distance from the base station and interference. However, in general, 5.8 GHz phones may have slightly better call quality due to their higher frequency and less interference.

5. Are there any health concerns with using 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz cordless phones?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that using 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz cordless phones can have negative effects on human health. These frequencies are within the safe range set by regulatory agencies and are not known to cause harm to humans.