Force of a small object Vs a larger object.

• Thread starter DreamChaser77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the collision of two cars of the same mass will release the same amount of energy and force.
DreamChaser77
Hallo!

I have this example for all of ya!

Lets say I had two cars speeding up both of the same size and mass, speed! If they collided

1) Will they release both energy and force?
2) If one car is small then the other will the larger one release a larger output of (energy or force?)

Thanks!

Dream,

Physics news on Phys.org
The force between the cars will be the same size (and with opposite direction) at all times. The smaller car will however decelerate faster than the larger car, because of [itex] f = m_{s}a_{s} = m_{l}a_{l} [/itex] (subscripts s and l stand for small and large)

since [itex] m_l > m_s [/itex] it must be that [itex] a_s > a_l [/itex]

Since f = ma is valid for the occupants of the car as well, the force exerted on the occupants of the smaller car will be bigger since they will accelerate more, if their mass is the same as that of the occupantsof the larger car.

willem2 said:
The force between the cars will be the same size (and with opposite direction) at all times. The smaller car will however decelerate faster than the larger car, because of [itex] f = m_{s}a_{s} = m_{l}a_{l} [/itex] (subscripts s and l stand for small and large)

since [itex] m_l > m_s [/itex] it must be that [itex] a_s > a_l [/itex]

Since f = ma is valid for the occupants of the car as well, the force exerted on the occupants of the smaller car will be bigger since they will accelerate more, if their mass is the same as that of the occupantsof the larger car.

Aha.. If they both were going at the same speed at the same way and smash each other head on the cars of the same size same speed will release both equal energy and force right?
If let's say car A and B again crashed each other head on same speed but car B is larger... The force of B is equaled to A?(Although B is larger I thought it should release larger force or kick in that crash)

In this example I think it's important to specify that the "smaller" car will not not necessarily decelerate faster if it's the same mass as the "larger" car. F=ma does not say anything about the size of he object.

The forces should always be the same on both cars since "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". The lighter car will decelerate faster though since its F=ma is smaller, and consequently its passengers will get a bigger "kick".

Lsos said:
In this example I think it's important to specify that the "smaller" car will not not necessarily decelerate faster if it's the same mass as the "larger" car. F=ma does not say anything about the size of he object.

The forces should always be the same on both cars since "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". The lighter car will decelerate faster though since its F=ma is smaller, and consequently its passengers will get a bigger "kick".

Ow ok, so the force is always the same? Its strage because like when I slam to same shaped objects of different masses the "larger" one always goes further and it looks as if it release more "power or force(not really sure which one)" from the collision.

Now when I think about it more and more I start to say maybe there is more energy released from the larger one because it has more mass"matter" in it with kinetic energy and the small one has less kinetic energy when smashed together heat is realsed significantly...

Question 1:

What is the difference between the force of a small object and a larger object?

The force of an object is directly related to its mass, meaning that the larger the object, the greater the force it can exert. This is due to the fact that larger objects have more mass, resulting in a greater amount of inertia and therefore a stronger force.

Question 2:

How does the size of an object affect its force?

The size of an object is directly proportional to its force, meaning that the larger the object, the greater the force. This is because the mass of an object directly affects its inertia, which is the resistance to changes in motion. Larger objects have more mass, resulting in a greater amount of inertia and therefore a stronger force.

Question 3:

Can a small object have a greater force than a larger object?

In general, no. As mentioned before, the force of an object is directly related to its mass. Therefore, a larger object will typically have a greater force than a smaller object. However, there are some rare cases where a smaller object may have a greater force, such as in the case of a bullet compared to a larger, slower-moving object like a car.

Question 4:

How does the force of a small object compare to that of a larger object in terms of acceleration?

The force of an object is directly related to its acceleration, meaning that the larger the force, the greater the acceleration. In terms of small and larger objects, this means that a larger object will typically have a greater force and therefore a greater acceleration than a smaller object.

Question 5:

Why is understanding the force of small and larger objects important in science?

The force of an object is a fundamental concept in physics, and understanding how it relates to the size of an object is crucial in many scientific fields. For example, in engineering, understanding the force of different sized objects is important in designing structures and machines that can withstand and utilize different forces. In astrophysics, the force of celestial bodies is crucial in predicting and understanding their movements and interactions. Overall, understanding the force of small and larger objects helps us better understand and explain the physical world around us.