As a poll solely for statistical purposes

In summary, the conversation was about the different temperaments and personality types of people who use a particular website. The question was raised about the frequency distribution of "Keirsey" Temperaments, specifically if the majority of the site's users were INTPs or INTJs. The conversation also touched on the accuracy and usefulness of personality tests in determining one's true personality. Overall, the conversation was a mix of personal experiences and opinions about personality types and their role in daily life and interactions.

What NT are you?

• Total voters
bomba923
Now this may sound rather stupid, but I'm just curious:

Of the people who interact with and use this site, how many are
INTPs or INTJs? Do those temperaments form the majority (or the largest subgroup) of this site's users? These are two of the possible 16 results of the ""Keirsey Temperament and Myers Briggs"" type tests.
The idea is to find the frequency distribution of ""Keirsey"" Temperaments, but will most likely not happen.

But anyway, in addition to this poll, would it be statistically reasonable to assume that the largest temperament group who use this site is either INTP or INTJ? (although an actual poll might have to exist to confirm/disconfirm that)?

Physics news on Phys.org
bomba923 said:
Now this may sound rather stupid, but I'm just curious:

Of the people who interact with and use this site, how many are
INTPs or INTJs? Do those temperaments form the majority (or the largest subgroup) of this site's users? These are two of the possible 16 results of the ""Keirsey Temperament and Myers Briggs"" type tests.
The idea is to find the frequency distribution of ""Keirsey"" Temperaments, but will most likely not happen.

But anyway, in addition to this poll, would it be statistically reasonable to assume that the largest temperament group who use this site is either INTP or INTJ? (although an actual poll might have to exist to confirm/disconfirm that)?

Its never statistically reasonable to assume a statistic.

it would be more useful if you actually put a poll on the thread.

I don't know (or maybe i just don't remember) what i am, so i'll have to get back to you.

EDit:

All it tells me is that I'm a rathional (either INTJ, INTP, ENTJ, ENTP). it wants me to pay money for more detail. bleh.

Rationals are very scarce, comprising as little as 5 to 10 percent of the population.

I needed them to tell me that? I say that every freakin day. And its more like 2% or less.

Every one of those "which career fits you test" that I've ever taken either comes back with physicist or sometimes actually comes back with astrophysicist (i took all of these after having all ready decided to go into astrophysics, out of curiousity). So INTP it most likely is.

At the very least all the psycho-logists agree, i picked careers well.

Last edited:
INTP. Repeated tests, and I can't escape the conclusion.

Curious3141 said:
INTP. Repeated tests, and I can't escape the conclusion.

where are you taking this? The only site i could find demanded payment for any detail of info.

INTP.

Was an INTJ as a teenager, but switched last time I took one.

I have a question.

What the bugger all are you lot talking about? :biggrin:

franznietzsche said:
where are you taking this? The only site i could find demanded payment for any detail of info.

This : http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp should sort of give you an idea. I've taken a "real" Myers-Briggs with paper and pencil, the results were the same as all the online tests I took.

Most people inclined towards Maths/Physics/Logic/Rational thought tend to be NTs, most commonly INTPs and INTJs. NTs are rather underrepresented in the overall population. Apparently, there's also a positive correlation between NT-ness and IQ. :wink:

I'm ENTJ, but thought I was TRIB

I just took the survey and found that I'm INTJ.

One problem with these tests is that reveal who you think you are, and not necessarily who you really are.

INTP

I might present a different face to the public, but this is how I really am.

cragwolf said:
One problem with these tests is that reveal who you think you are, and not necessarily who you really are.

Ergo, nosce te ipsum

cragwolf said:

Or, you end up like me randomly picking Yes or No because I want to answer every question with "Maybe," "Sometimes," "Depends on the situation," "When you say deadline, do you mean one I know is a drop dead date, or one I know is more of a guideline?" "How many people defines a crowd?"

Well, you get the point. I came up with INTJ. I don't think I'd define myself as introverted though. I'm not the world's most gregarious person, but I still like being around people...most days anyway. I should retake the test when I didn't have to wake up early for a meeting.

What's the opposite of Thinking (T) on the scale? I came up as only weakly into the thinking category. I'm trying to remember how that test works. I haven't taken one with the full explanation since I was in grad school (worked in Residence Life for a while, and they are really into those goofy tests). I think the opposite was Doing, wasn't it? That makes sense if I only came up weakly leaning to one side or the other. I'm neither one of those people who stands around thinking through a problem so long that nothing ever gets done, nor someone who jumps right in without thinking about it first. I'm pretty balanced about that.

Judging...is that the same thing as opinionated? :rolleyes: I scored pretty high on that. What does the P mean if you weren't a J? It might help understand what they mean by judging if I know what the contrast is.

Dang, I already forgot what the N meant. I took the test this morning (had a little time to kill), then headed out for my meeting. Now I can't remember what N was.

I used to laugh when I took these as a student. I think they were given in the context of team building exercises or something like that. Anyway, they kept insisting that it's better to have a balance of people with all the different traits on a team...ha ha ha...have you ever watched two people try to work together who are opposites in any of those categories? They drive each other nuts, they scream at each other a lot (well, probably extroverted on screams, and the introverted one sits there quietly plotting the extrovert's murder), and nothing gets done. :rofl:

franznietzsche said:
Ergo, nosce te ipsum

Easier said (even in Latin) than done.

INTP

I've taken it a few times. It's always the same.

There are a few questions that I am split on and depending which I select I either score as INTP or ENTP.

ENTJ

blah blah blah (post was too short)

INTJ

and a thread similar to this was started a few months, if it is not a year, ago, someone should try to find it.

Moonbear said:
What's the opposite of Thinking (T) on the scale? I came up as only weakly into the thinking category.
Yeah. And your point is?
:biggrin:

Always INTJ. Took a couple of these at school and a few online over the years and I've always been INTJ.

Moonbear said:
What's the opposite of Thinking (T) on the scale?
What does the P mean if you weren't a J?
Dang, I already forgot what the N meant.

Introvert / Extrovert

Sensing / Intuitive

Feeling / Thinking

Perceiving / Judging

enigma said:
Introvert / Extrovert

Sensing / Intuitive

Feeling / Thinking

Perceiving / Judging

No wonder I couldn't remember the N. Not exactly iNtuitive, is it? :rofl:

Now, what's the difference between sensing and intuitive? They sound more like synonyms to me.

I don't see anyone here with S or F. I guess we're not the touchy-feely group, huh? :tongue:

No wonder Human Resources type people don't like me. :biggrin:

Last edited:
You guys should be aware that rationals (those with strong N and T tendencies) comprise only about 7% of the population... I wonder if PF attracts a very strong rational audience?

Of course, the Myers-Briggs test is not very accurate anyway, as has been mentioned. Psychologists don't take it very seriously anymore.

- Warren

chroot said:
You guys should be aware that rationals (those with strong N and T tendencies) comprise only about 7% of the population... I wonder if PF attracts a very strong rational audience?

I don't know, we do have tribdog around and even he scored N and T.

Of course, the Myers-Briggs test is not very accurate anyway, as has been mentioned. Psychologists don't take it very seriously anymore.

- Warren

It's about time they catch up with the rest of us. And to think how miffed they used to get when they'd come in and give one of these tests to a bunch of science grad students and we'd laugh about it, make jokes, and all had the same score so they couldn't really make their point about needing different people to work well in teams. :biggrin:

Um, maybe this is why it calls me judgemental? Oh, wait, that was judging. Oh well, I still really enjoy poking fun at people who take these tests seriously (and I do realize the person who initially posted this was doing it for fun, not to be too serious about it, so this isn't directed toward anyone here). :devil:

ISTJ.I don't know what the heck it means,nut,since it's related somehow to me,it must be a good thing,right? :devil:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
ISTJ.I don't know what the heck it means,nut,since it's related somehow to me,it must be a good thing,right?
I think that was a Freudian.

- Warren

chroot said:
I think that was a Freudian.

- Warren

-- s l i p ?

(had to make it long enough)

ENTJ, this is a good thing right ?

marlon
should i run and hide ?? :)

chroot said:

- Warren

We had a thread on this topic at a hockey board I frequent and I think about 70% of the people were INTJ, supposedly the rarest type. Maybe INTJs use computers a lot and are more likely to be using a message board than other types.

ek said:
We had a thread on this topic at a hockey board I frequent and I think about 70% of the people were INTJ, supposedly the rarest type. Maybe INTJs use computers a lot and are more likely to be using a message board than other types.

Being a Canadian and all (i.e. knowing a lot of hockey players and viewers).

I guarantee that 99% of that 70% don't or never played hockey. Hockey players are even close to introvert. I agree with intuitive, but I don't agree with thinking.

Anyways, I got INTP.

Note: I'm more of a hockey viewer than hockey player. Because of tradition, I did play hockey in my childhood. Not exactly tradition, but the law. :biggrin:

JasonRox said:
Being a Canadian and all (i.e. knowing a lot of hockey players and viewers).

I guarantee that 99% of that 70% don't or never played hockey. Hockey players are even close to introvert. I agree with intuitive, but I don't agree with thinking.

Anyways, I got INTP.

Note: I'm more of a hockey viewer than hockey player. Because of tradition, I did play hockey in my childhood. Not exactly tradition, but the law. :biggrin:

Watch in buddy, those of us who have played might get offended.

I loved palying hockey when i was younger, but Southern california doesn't have much in the way of high school leagues :grumpy: :grumpy: so i haven't played in a while.

INTJ

Taken the test many times, never scored differently

The more descriptive version assigns titiles to each of the 16 subtypes. I believe I came up as a mastermind- for whatever that's worth *shrug*

me 2.

Your Type is
INTJ
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
78 22 56 67

but I don't think I am quite that introverted.

Zantra said:
INTJ

Taken the test many times, never scored differently

The more descriptive version assigns titiles to each of the 16 subtypes. I believe I came up as a mastermind- for whatever that's worth *shrug*

i think its worth an indictment.

ENTJ, no surprises there. Although now that I look at how the test works I think I could be a ENTP too.

Back