What is the conventional over drill size for a 0.05 pin on a PCB?

In summary, when laying out a PCB and determining the over drill size for a pin, it is recommended to add an extra 5 mils for plating on top of the standard 10 mils over the maximum lead diameter specified in the data sheet. This typically results in a finished hole size of 65 mils, which can be rounded up to the nearest standard drill size. If the board house is plating the holes, there is no need to increase the diameter for plating as they will take care of it.
yungman
I am laying out pcb and I want to confirm about the over drill size for a pin. The pin is 0.05". I forgot what is the conventional over size drill. Is it 0.06"? Or 0.065 to be safe?

Thanks

Alan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Some of it depends on if you're using PTH or not. I was always told to give an extra 5mils for plating on top of a standard 10 mils over the max diameter of the lead per the data sheet. It has served me well.

To answer your question, I'd use 65 mils as the basis and then round up to the nearest standard drill size. The board house will generally do that for you though if you just spec 65 mils.

Thanks

Alan

For a lead Ø=1.30mm, we use a finished hole of Ø=1.50mm and mounting/inner lands of Ø=2.25mm.

Unless you're plating your holes yourself, I don't think you have to worry about increasing the diameter to make room for plating. The board house will drill the (plated) through-holes with a larger Ø than what you specify in your drill file in order to leave room for plating.

The conventional over drill size for a 0.05 pin on a PCB is typically 0.06 inches. This allows for a small amount of extra space to ensure the pin fits securely without causing any damage to the surrounding components or the board itself. However, if you want to be on the safe side, a slightly larger over drill size of 0.065 inches can also be used. It is always important to carefully consider the specific requirements and tolerances of your PCB design before determining the appropriate over drill size.

1. What is a PCB drill hole?

A PCB (printed circuit board) drill hole is a hole that is drilled into a PCB to create a connection between different layers of the board. It is typically used for inserting components or creating vias for electrical connections.

2. How are PCB drill holes created?

PCB drill holes are created using a drill bit that is specifically designed for drilling through the materials used in PCBs, such as fiberglass and copper. The drill bit is attached to a drilling machine that is programmed to create the holes at specific locations and sizes.

3. What is the size of a typical PCB drill hole?

The size of a PCB drill hole can vary depending on the specific application and the manufacturer's specifications. However, the most commonly used sizes range from 0.2mm to 0.8mm in diameter.

4. Can PCB drill holes be drilled at any angle?

Yes, PCB drill holes can be drilled at any angle, as long as the drilling machine is capable of rotating the drill bit to the desired angle. This is often necessary for creating vias that connect different layers of the PCB at non-perpendicular angles.

5. Are there any special considerations for PCB drill holes?

Yes, there are a few special considerations when it comes to PCB drill holes. These include the type and thickness of the material being drilled, the size and angle of the holes, and the precision required for the specific application. It is important to carefully plan and design the drill holes to ensure successful PCB production.