What Are the Images and Pre-Images of Intervals Under a Squaring Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of image and pre-image of a function, and explores different subsets and their corresponding images and pre-images under the given function f(x) = x². The conversation also touches on the concept of inverse functions and the difference between pre-image and inverse functions. The main goal is to determine the set of values obtained by applying the function to a given subset of its domain.
twoski

Homework Statement

If A and B are sets and f : A → B, then for any subset S of A we define:

f(S) = {b ∈ B : b = f(a) for some a ∈ S}

Similarly, for any subset T of B we define the pre-image of T as:

f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](T) = {a ∈ A : f(a) ∈ T}

Note that f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](T) is well defined even if f does not have an inverse.

Now let f : R → R be defined as f(x) = [itex]x^{2}[/itex]

Let S1 denote the closed interval [−2, 1], and let S2 be the open interval (−1, 2). Also let T1 = S1 and T2 = S2.

Determine:

f(S1 ∪ S2)

f(S1) ∪ f(S2)

f(S1 ∩ S2)

f(S1) ∩ f(S2)

f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](T1 ∪ T2)

f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](T1) ∪ f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](T2)

f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](T1 ∩ T2)

f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](T1) ∩ f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](T2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm being asked to verify that each subset satisfies "some b = f(a) for some a ∈ S" where S is the subset i have to compute.

For example, the first question is f(S1 U S2) = f( [-2,2) ).

My question is, what do i have to do next? I can't plug in every value x where -2 =< x < 2 since I'm using real numbers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
twoski said:
For example, the first question is f(S1 U S2) = f( [-2,2) ).
Yes.
I can't plug in every value x where -2 =< x < 2 since I'm using real numbers.
Of course you can't, but if you sketch a graph of the function it will suggest an answer which you can then set about proving.

Well since my first answer has a range spanning from -2 up to but not including 2, it is one-to-one. The question wants me to answer whether or not every value passed to the function will map to one value, i think.

It's easy for me to see that f( [-2,2) ) is valid, but how would i go about showing it? The question doesn't explicitly ask me to solve anything, it just says "determine" so maybe the answer is just f( [-2,2) )... Bah, now I'm all paranoid that I'm missing something...

twoski said:
Well since my first answer has a range spanning from -2 up to but not including 2, it is one-to-one.
How so? 1-1 would mean that no two values in [-2,2) get mapped by f to the same value. False for f(x)=x2, surely.
The question wants me to answer whether or not every value passed to the function will map to one value, i think.
No, it's asking for the set of values obtained by applying the function to all the numbers in the range [-2,2).

Could i denote the set of values as [0,4]? Since we're working with real numbers it wouldn't be feasible to list all of the possible values.

twoski said:
Could i denote the set of values as [0,4]? Since we're working with real numbers it wouldn't be feasible to list all of the possible values.

Yes. That is the correct answer. But can you justify it?? Can you actually prove that [itex]f([-2,2])=[0,4][/itex]??

Would it be sufficient to say that for every value x in (-2,2], f(x) will be no less than 0 and no greater than 4? I mean, there doesn't seem to be any other way to put it. I can't invert the function and plug in 0 and 4, so all i can really do is plug in the important values in my domain (ie. -1.99999, 0, 2)

I finished the rest of them...

f(S1) U f(S2) = f( [-2,1] ) U f( (-1,2) ) = [1,4] U (1,4) = [1,4]

f(S1 ∩ S2) = f( (-1,1] ) = [0,1]

f(S1) ∩ f(S2) = f( [-2,1] ) ∩ f( (-1,2) ) = [1,4] ∩ (1,4) = (1,4)

I'm starting to wonder whether i have to actually prove my answer for each question, it seems like it would be a bit redundant... Maybe i am just supposed to show the range and that's it?

The second part with the inverse is confusing to me.

f'(T1 U T2) = f'( [-2,2) )

So the result of this would be every number x where [itex] x^{2} \in [-2,2) [/itex] or in other words, the square roots of every number in [-2,2), i think. Which would give me a messy result.

Last edited:
twoski said:
Would it be sufficient to say that for every value x in (-2,2], f(x) will be no less than 0 and no greater than 4?
That shows f(S1 U S2) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] [0,4]. Also need to show the converse.
f(S1) U f(S2) = f( [-2,1] ) U f( (-1,2) ) = [1,4] U (1,4) = [1,4]
No. Please do sketch the graph in each case. What does f look like over [-2,1]?
f(S1 ∩ S2) = f( (-1,1] ) = [0,1]
Yes.
f(S1) ∩ f(S2) = f( [-2,1] ) ∩ f( (-1,2) ) = [1,4] ∩ (1,4) = (1,4)
No.
The second part with the inverse is confusing to me.
f'(T1 U T2) = f'( [-2,2) )
So the result of this would be every number x where [itex] x^{2} \in [-2,2) [/itex]
Every real number x, that is
or in other words, the square roots of every number in [-2,2)
No, that's not the same. There are two differences. First, you don't have to have a square root for every number. There is no real number for which the square is -1, so the answer will not include a square root of -1. Secondly, 'the square root' of a positive number is generally defined to mean the positive square root, but here we want every real number that has a square in the desired range.
This question illustrates the difference between a pre-image function, as can be applied to sets, and an inverse function as applied to the values.

haruspex said:
No, that's not the same. There are two differences. First, you don't have to have a square root for every number. There is no real number for which the square is -1, so the answer will not include a square root of -1. Secondly, 'the square root' of a positive number is generally defined to mean the positive square root, but here we want every real number that has a square in the desired range.
This question illustrates the difference between a pre-image function, as can be applied to sets, and an inverse function as applied to the values.

So the answer to f[itex]^{-1}[/itex]( [-2,2) ) is the set of real numbers obtained through [itex]x^{2}[/itex] in [-2,2)

Would i do this with set builder notation? The answer can't be [0,1.4142]..

twoski said:
So the answer to f[itex]^{-1}[/itex]( [-2,2) ) is the set of real numbers obtained through [itex]x^{2}[/itex] in [-2,2)

Would i do this with set builder notation? The answer can't be [0,1.4142]..
No, but that's nearly right. Check the bounds.

So if i were to write it as [0, √2], would that technically be correct? This solution doesn't account for negative numbers, which throws me off.

twoski said:
So if i were to write it as [0, √2], would that technically be correct? This solution doesn't account for negative numbers, which throws me off.
As I said, that's nearly right. Are the squares of all numbers in that range contained within [-2,2)?

1. What is a function with intervals?

A function with intervals is a mathematical concept that represents a relationship between two variables where the output value (dependent variable) is dependent on the input value (independent variable) within a specific interval or range.

2. How do you graph a function with intervals?

To graph a function with intervals, you first need to determine the domain (input values) and range (output values) of the function. Then, plot the points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a line or curve depending on the type of function. Finally, shade the interval or range on the graph to show the specific values that the function applies to.

3. What is the difference between a closed interval and an open interval?

A closed interval is inclusive of its endpoints, meaning the endpoints are part of the interval. For example, the interval [2,5] includes the numbers 2 and 5. On the other hand, an open interval does not include its endpoints, so the interval (2,5) does not include the numbers 2 and 5.

4. Can a function have multiple intervals?

Yes, a function can have multiple intervals. This means that the function's domain and range may consist of different intervals where the function is defined and has a corresponding output value. For example, the function y = 2x is defined for all real numbers, so its interval would be (-∞,∞).

5. How do you determine the intervals where a function is increasing or decreasing?

To determine the intervals where a function is increasing or decreasing, you need to find the slope of the function. If the slope is positive, the function is increasing, and if the slope is negative, the function is decreasing. The intervals where the slope is positive are the intervals where the function is increasing, and vice versa.