What is the Sum of nth Roots of Unity and How Can It Be Proven?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove that the sum of nth roots of unity is equal to 0. The roots of unity are defined as 1, ω, ω^2, ω^3 ... ω^n and the sum of these roots is represented as S = 1 + ω + ω2 + ... + ωn - 1. The speaker mentions trying to manipulate S to show it equals 0, but encountering a mistake. Another speaker suggests making a correction, and it is eventually concluded that ωS - S is equal to 0. The conversation also touches on the n roots being related to a polynomial equation.
converting1
i'm trying to prove the sum of nth roots of unity = 0, but I don't really know how to proceed:

suppose z^n = 1 where z ε ℂ,

suppose the roots of unity for z are 1, ω, ω^2, ω^3 ... ω^n

the sum of these would be S = 1 + ω, ω^w, ω^3 +...+ ω^(n-1) + ω^n

from here I had an idea to do some fancy manipulation of S, then show that S = 0, but if say I do ωS - S I don't get 0!

I'm assuming I've made a very silly mistake or the way of approaches this is all wrong,

does anyone have a better approach or can anyone spot my mistake?

thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
converting1 said:
i'm trying to prove the sum of nth roots of unity = 0, but I don't really know how to proceed:

suppose z^n = 1 where z ε ℂ,

suppose the roots of unity for z are 1, ω, ω^2, ω^3 ... ω^n
That's too many. Your roots should start at exponent 0 and end at exponent (n - 1).
converting1 said:
the sum of these would be S = 1 + ω, ω^w, ω^3 +...+ ω^(n-1) + ω^n
S = 1 + ω + ω2 + ... + ωn - 1

Notice that the right side is a (finite) geometric series.
converting1 said:
from here I had an idea to do some fancy manipulation of S, then show that S = 0, but if say I do ωS - S I don't get 0!

I'm assuming I've made a very silly mistake or the way of approaches this is all wrong,

does anyone have a better approach or can anyone spot my mistake?

thanks,

And if you make the correction Mark44 gave, you will find ωS - S is zero.

alternatively, they're the n roots of the polynomial equation xn - 1 = 0 …

so which coefficient is the sum of the roots? :wink:

What is the "Sum of nth roots of unity"?

The "Sum of nth roots of unity" refers to a mathematical concept where the sum of all the nth roots of unity (numbers that, when raised to the nth power, equal 1) is calculated.

Why is the "Sum of nth roots of unity" important?

The "Sum of nth roots of unity" is important because it has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve complex equations, model periodic phenomena, and analyze data.

How is the "Sum of nth roots of unity" calculated?

The "Sum of nth roots of unity" can be calculated using the formula: S = 1 + ω + ω^2 + ... + ω^(n-1), where ω is the primitive nth root of unity. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the geometric series formula: S = (1 - ω^n) / (1 - ω).

What are some real-life examples of the "Sum of nth roots of unity"?

Some real-life examples of the "Sum of nth roots of unity" include modeling the motion of a pendulum, analyzing the behavior of alternating current in electrical circuits, and predicting the interference patterns in waves.

What is the relationship between the "Sum of nth roots of unity" and complex numbers?

The "Sum of nth roots of unity" is closely related to complex numbers, as the nth roots of unity are complex numbers. Additionally, the sum of the nth roots of unity can be represented as a complex number on the complex plane.