Find Sum of Arithmetic Series Sn: Σ 200 r=5 5r-2

In summary, the conversation involves finding the sum of a summation notation, specifically \Sigma 200 r=5 5r-2. The poster initially got a result of 101400, but upon verification on a calculator, it was 100058. There is some confusion about the proper use of parentheses in the summation notation, and the conversation ends with the suggestion of waiting for the original poster to clarify their intention.
Nubcake
Find the sum of [itex]\Sigma[/itex] 200 r=5 5r-2

Sn = n/2 [2a + (n-1)d ]I used S 200 and I got about 101400 but then when I verified on my calculator it was 100058, my calculator has the sigma notation for working out the sum of , how do you get 100058?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nubcake said:
Find the sum of [itex]\Sigma[/itex] 200 r=5 5r-2

Sn = n/2 [2a + (n-1)d ]

I used S 200 and I got about 101400 but then when I verified on my calculator it was 100058, my calculator has the sigma notation for working out the sum of , how do you get 100058?

It's difficult to tell what your sum is. Is this it?

Edit: add parentheses for clarity.
$$ \sum_{r = 5}^{200} \left(5r - 2\right)$$

Writing this in LaTeX is not difficult. Click what I wrote to see how I did it.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
It's difficult to tell what your sum is. Is this it?
$$ \sum_{r = 5}^{200} 5r - 2$$

Writing this in LaTeX is not difficult. Click what I wrote to see how I did it.

What you wrote coul be reasonably interpreted as
[tex] \left( \sum_{r=5}^{200} 5 r \right) -2;[/tex] it might be that the OP wants
[tex] \sum_{r=5}^{200} (5 r - 2), [/tex]
but who knows?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
What you wrote coul be reasonably interpreted as
[tex] \left( \sum_{r=5}^{200} 5 r \right) -2;[/tex] it might be that the OP wants
[tex] \sum_{r=5}^{200} (5 r - 2), [/tex]
but who knows?
That's a good point. When I wrote that I was going by a sort of quasi-convention that the summation symbol acts like a giant left parenthesis, and there is an implied right paren to the right of the last symbol. If you want to indicate that something is not part of the sum you put parentheses into suit.

Since what I wrote could be interpreted in a couple of ways, I went back and put in some parentheses.

I wasn't sure what the OP intended, so now I guess we wait until he/she comes back to confirm that our guesses are correct.

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series?

The formula for finding the sum of an arithmetic series is: Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term.

2. How do you find the value of n in an arithmetic series?

To find the value of n in an arithmetic series, you can use the formula n = (an - a1)/d + 1, where a1 is the first term, an is the last term, and d is the common difference between terms.

3. What does Σ symbol mean in the arithmetic series formula?

The Σ symbol represents the summation notation, indicating that you need to add all the terms in the series together to find the sum.

4. How do you solve for the sum of the arithmetic series Σ 5r-2, where r starts at 5 and ends at 200?

To solve for the sum of the arithmetic series Σ 5r-2, where r starts at 5 and ends at 200, you can first find the value of n using the formula n = (an - a1)/d + 1. Then, plug in the values of n, a1, and an into the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an) to find the sum.

5. What is the common difference in an arithmetic series?

The common difference in an arithmetic series is the constant amount that is added or subtracted from each term to get the next term in the series. It is denoted by the letter d in the formula.