Resolving Forces question applied force and friction force

The horse pulls the barge with a force of 7900N at an angle of 18 degrees to the direction of motion, and the barge has a mass of 9500 kg and an acceleration of 0.12m/s2. The calculated friction force is 1301.23N.
engboysclub

Homework Statement

In earlier days, horses pulled barges down canals in the manner show in the figure below. Suppose that
the horse pulls on the rope with a force of 7900N at an angle of 18 to the direction of motion of the
barge, which is headed straight along the canal. The mass of the barge is 9500 kg, and its acceleration
is 0.12m/s2. What are (a) the magnitude and (b) the direction of the force on the barge from the
water?

Homework Equations

Kindly see if my orientation to solving the question is correct. If not ? Correct me.

The Attempt at a Solution

I resolve the force i.e 7900xsin(18)

Then I use "Applied Force - Friction Force = Mass x Acceleration"

7900xsin(18)= Applied Force
Friction Force= I have to calculate
Mass= It is given
Acceleration= It is given in question ...

The answer (Friction Force) is 1301.23N

Is it correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
engboysclub said:

Homework Statement

In earlier days, horses pulled barges down canals in the manner show in the figure below. Suppose that
the horse pulls on the rope with a force of 7900N at an angle of 18 to the direction of motion of the
barge, which is headed straight along the canal. The mass of the barge is 9500 kg, and its acceleration
is 0.12m/s2. What are (a) the magnitude and (b) the direction of the force on the barge from the
water?

Homework Equations

Kindly see if my orientation to solving the question is correct. If not ? Correct me.

The Attempt at a Solution

I resolve the force i.e 7900xsin(18)

Then I use "Applied Force - Friction Force = Mass x Acceleration"

7900xsin(18)= Applied Force
Friction Force= I have to calculate
Mass= It is given
Acceleration= It is given in question ...

The answer (Friction Force) is 1301.23N

Is it correct ?
There is no figure.

1. What is the difference between applied force and friction force?

Applied force is a force that is intentionally exerted on an object, while friction force is a force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves across a surface.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of a resolved force?

The magnitude of a resolved force can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, based on the angle and the known forces acting on an object. The direction can be determined using the inverse tangent function.

3. How does the angle of application affect the resolved forces?

The angle of application affects the magnitude and direction of the resolved forces. The greater the angle, the greater the component of the force in the direction of the angle. A smaller angle will result in a smaller component of the force in that direction.

4. What is the relationship between static and kinetic friction forces?

Static friction force is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while kinetic friction force is the force that acts on an object as it moves across a surface. The static friction force is typically greater than the kinetic friction force.

5. How can you use resolved forces to determine the net force acting on an object?

By resolving all the individual forces acting on an object into their respective components, you can determine the net force in the horizontal and vertical directions. The net force is the vector sum of all the resolved forces acting on an object.