Adding Batteries in Series: Explaining Voltage Increase

• Thread starter madbear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of voltage and how it is affected by the number of electrons in a battery. It explains that voltage is not a transfer of electrons, but rather a measure of potential difference. The conversation also mentions the role of chemical energy in maintaining a constant voltage in a battery. Additionally, it discusses the concept of capacitance and how it relates to voltage.
madbear
lets say i got two batteries; first has 200 electrons on plus terminal and 300 electrons on a negative terminal ( so there is 100 electrons difference in potential energy )
and and second battery has 100 electrons on + terminal and 200 electrons on -.
if connected in series +(200e) -(300e)_____ +(100e) -(200e)
why would voltages add up ? wouldn't 100e from - terminal of the first battery be transferred
to + terminal of the second battery making pic look like :
+(200e) -(200e)_____ +(200e) -(200e) making potential difference between + terminal of the first battery and - terminal of the second battery zero ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Transfer of electrons is current not voltage. To maintain a constant voltage, the difference in "electrons" must remain contant. Voltage is not a transfer of electrons, you can (and commonly do have) a voltage, or potential difference, with no movement of electrons.

Recall that batteries work off of chemical energy -- they typically create a steady EMF generated from that chemical stuff. That's what keeps the electrons doing the right thing, and allows batteries in series to do the right thing. You will find this discussed in more-or-less detail in most any freshman physics text.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Thank you for your help. I am still at lost though. I thought if you connect two
objects with a diffrent number of free electrons by a wire -- there will be current
going from a higher to a lower potential point. So will there be a current going
between the two connected terminals of batteries in series if they differ in potential ?
I do undestand that chemical energy in a battery is what creates and keeps
the voltage at a constant level.

madbear said:
Thank you for your help. I am still at lost though. I thought if you connect two
objects with a diffrent number of free electrons by a wire -- there will be current
going from a higher to a lower potential point. So will there be a current going
between the two connected terminals of batteries in series if they differ in potential ?
I do undestand that chemical energy in a battery is what creates and keeps
the voltage at a constant level.

If you hook two battereies up in parallel, then move one of them to a series connection, the only current flow will be to charge up stray capacitances.

The capacitances across the batteries won't contribute to the curreent flow - if you draw the circut out, you should see that any stray capacitance from either of the second batteries's terminals to ground will have to be charged or discharged.

Voltage is energy / charge. The reason that voltages add in a loop is that energy is conserved.

a battery is divided up into two half-cells of ions (positive and negatively charged atoms) in solution, connected by a salt bridge. Both are electrically neutral, so they have the same amount of positive and negative charge, but the half-cell that's the negative terminal has ions that are better at attracting electrons than the half-cell that makes up the positive terminal. Now, both half-cells have to stay neutral, so any charge that leaves the positive terminal is replaced by ions from the salt bridge dissolving into the solution, and a similar situation occurs for the negative terminal.

So I don't know if it helps to talk about the chemistry of a battery, but maybe it's useful or interesting.

madbear said:
lets say i got two batteries; first has 200 electrons on plus terminal and 300 electrons on a negative terminal ( so there is 100 electrons difference in potential energy )
and and second battery has 100 electrons on + terminal and 200 electrons on -.
if connected in series +(200e) -(300e)_____ +(100e) -(200e)
why would voltages add up ? wouldn't 100e from - terminal of the first battery be transferred
to + terminal of the second battery making pic look like :
+(200e) -(200e)_____ +(200e) -(200e) making potential difference between + terminal of the first battery and - terminal of the second battery zero ?

You need to study the Capacitor, Q=CV.

You don't know the voltage if all you know is that you have 200 electrons.

You need to know the capacitance, and THEN this doesn't apply to a battery.

1. How does adding batteries in series increase voltage?

When batteries are connected in series, the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of the next battery. This creates a longer path for electrons to flow through, resulting in a higher voltage. Essentially, the voltage of each battery is added together, resulting in a higher overall voltage.

2. How do I know which batteries can be connected in series?

In order for batteries to be connected in series, they must have the same voltage and be of the same type (e.g. all alkaline or all lithium-ion batteries). It is important to note that connecting batteries with different voltages or types can be dangerous and should be avoided.

3. Can adding batteries in series damage my devices?

Yes, it is possible for adding batteries in series to damage your devices. If the total voltage of the batteries exceeds the voltage rating of your device, it can cause damage. It is important to check the voltage requirements of your device before connecting batteries in series.

4. Will adding batteries in series increase the battery life?

No, adding batteries in series does not increase the battery life. In fact, the battery life may decrease as the batteries will drain at the same rate but the voltage will be higher. This means the batteries will be depleted faster.

5. How can I calculate the overall voltage when adding batteries in series?

To calculate the overall voltage when adding batteries in series, simply add the individual voltages of each battery. For example, if you have three 1.5V batteries connected in series, the overall voltage will be 4.5V (1.5V + 1.5V + 1.5V = 4.5V).