Program for printing a list of PDF files

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of developing a simple program to automate printing PDF files based on a list of drawing numbers. The person is looking for a way to modify the list of drawing numbers to match the file names in a specific directory, and then use that list to queue files for printing. The conversation also mentions using the /t command line switch in Adobe Reader to print PDFs from a script. The language for writing the script is also mentioned.
jegues
I am trying to figure out if it would be possible to develop simple program to preform the following task:

If I have a list of drawing numbers contained within excel an file as such,

1-02632-M-07502 0002/03
1-02632-M-07502 0003/02
1-02632-M-07502 0004/08
1-02632-M-07502 0005/02
1-02632-M-07502 0006/02

(This is simply a list of text)

and I know that I have pdf files in a particular directory with names as such,

(located in K:\MBH\Projects\02632 Mystery Lake Road\0. Reference\2. PDFs)

1-02632-M-07502 0002.pdf
1-02632-M-07502 0003.pdf
1-02632-M-07502 0004.pdf
1-02632-M-07502 0005.pdf
1-02632-M-07502 0006.pdf

Is there a way that I can take the list of text containing the drawing numbers (See first list above), modify it so it becomes a list of text containing the appropriate file names?(See second list above)

Just to be more clear, by modifying I mean remove the slash and the 2 numbers following it, and add ".pdf" at the end.

Furthermore, I then use this list of file names to queue files to print to one my printers. (Remember that particular directory of the files is known)

Can all this easily be done with some sort of script or something?

I am using Windows 8, and I'd like to throw something together that would be as easy as pasting text such as,

1-02632-M-07502 0002/03
1-02632-M-07502 0003/02
1-02632-M-07502 0004/08
1-02632-M-07502 0005/02
1-02632-M-07502 0006/02

into the program and click print, while having it adjust and print everything automatically.

What do you guys think? Would it be possible to put something like this together?

Technology news on Phys.org
Sure.
What language do you want to write the script in?
For printing pdfs from a script you can use adobe reader's /t command line switch.
AcroRd32.exe /t filename.pdf
You have to use double \\ in most languages
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Adobe\\Reader 10.0\\Reader\\AcroRd32.exe /t filename.pdf"
btw. omitting the ".exe" in the command line causes an error on most computers because then acrobat reader won't be able to start in protected mode.

1. How can I print a list of all the PDF files in a folder?

To print a list of PDF files in a folder, you can use a program called a file manager. Most operating systems have a default file manager that allows you to view and manage files on your computer. Within the file manager, you can navigate to the folder containing your PDF files and then select the option to print the list of files. This will give you a list of the file names and their corresponding locations.

2. Is it possible to customize the information included in the printed list of PDF files?

Yes, it is possible to customize the information included in the printed list of PDF files. Some file managers allow you to select which file attributes to display, such as file size, date modified, or file type. You can also use a command-line program to generate a customized list of PDF files with specific information, such as file metadata or file contents.

3. Can I print the list of PDF files in a specific order?

Yes, you can print the list of PDF files in a specific order. In most file managers, you can sort the files by name, date created, or file size. This will allow you to print the list of PDF files in a specific order, such as alphabetical or chronological. If you are using a command-line program, you can specify the order in which you want the files to be listed.

4. How can I print the list of PDF files in a different format?

To print the list of PDF files in a different format, you can use a program that allows you to convert the list into a different file type. For example, you can use a spreadsheet program to convert the list into a table or a word processor to convert the list into a document. This will give you more flexibility in how you want the list to be presented.

5. Is there a way to automatically update the printed list of PDF files?

Yes, there are ways to automatically update the printed list of PDF files. Some file managers have an option to automatically refresh the list when changes are made to the folder. You can also use a script or program to periodically generate an updated list of PDF files. Additionally, some file managers have plugins or extensions that can be installed to add this functionality.