Help with logistic growth problem

• Thread starter amazingAZN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Growth
In summary: You can then use this equation to predict the population, P at T=10. In summary, to solve the logistic growth problem, you need to estimate the constants k and P_0 from the given data and use the ODE to predict the population at T=10.
amazingAZN
Hi all, I've got this logistic growth problem that I'm unsure of on how to start. I missed a day of class and don't have a chance to go to office hours, so any help would be much appreciated.

I've been given a set of values: time, population, and change in population.

The values are as follows, with each value correlation to each time value of course:
T=0.0, P=2.0, dP/dt=0.11
T=37.71, P=14.0, dP/dt=0.62
T=45.05, P=19.0, dP/dt=0.74
T=57.45, P=29.0, dP/dt=0.84

I've been asked to predict population, P at T=10.

A point in the right direction would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
amazingAZN said:
Hi all, I've got this logistic growth problem that I'm unsure of on how to start. I missed a day of class and don't have a chance to go to office hours, so any help would be much appreciated.

I've been given a set of values: time, population, and change in population.

The values are as follows, with each value correlation to each time value of course:
T=0.0, P=2.0, dP/dt=0.11
T=37.71, P=14.0, dP/dt=0.62
T=45.05, P=19.0, dP/dt=0.74
T=57.45, P=29.0, dP/dt=0.84

I've been asked to predict population, P at T=10.

A point in the right direction would be great, thanks.

The ODE you are trying to solve is
[tex]
\frac{dP}{dt} = kP(P_0 - P)
[/tex]
for some constants [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]P_0[/itex] which you can estimate from the given data for [itex]dP/dt[/itex] and [itex]P[/itex].

1. What is logistic growth?

Logistic growth is a type of population growth that follows a S-shaped curve, where the population initially grows exponentially, but then levels off as it reaches its carrying capacity.

2. How is logistic growth different from exponential growth?

Exponential growth occurs when a population has unlimited resources, while logistic growth takes into account limiting factors such as resources, competition, and predation that can slow down the growth rate.

3. How is carrying capacity related to logistic growth?

Carrying capacity is the maximum number of individuals that can be sustained by the available resources in a given environment. In logistic growth, the population reaches its carrying capacity and stabilizes, as resources become limited.

4. What is the formula for logistic growth?

The formula for logistic growth is: Nt = K / (1 + ((K-N0)/N0)e^(-rt)), where Nt is the population size at time t, K is the carrying capacity, N0 is the initial population size, r is the growth rate, and e is the base of natural logarithms.

5. How can logistic growth be applied in real-world situations?

Logistic growth can be used to model the growth of a population, such as a species of animals, in a given environment. It can also be applied in areas such as economics, marketing, and epidemiology to understand and predict the growth and decline of various systems.