Why do automatics need a brake shift interlock?

• Thread starter marellasunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brake Shift
In summary: There's a switch on the dash that disengages the clutch if you hit it while driving. To what purpose? All it would achieve would be to basically put the car in neutral whenever the pedal was engaged.In automatics,one needs to press the brake (i.e the brake shift interlock switch) to shift the car out of park. What damage would happen if the brake shift-interlock wasn't present. Has it got something to do with the Fottinger fluid clutch? i.e with the automatic "creep" effect?In summary, the brake shift-interlock switch is a safety feature that prevents you from accidentally shifting the car into gear while the brake is engaged. If the switch
marellasunny
In automatics,one needs to press the brake (i.e the brake shift interlock switch) to shift the car out of park. What damage would happen if the brake shift-interlock wasn't present. Has it got something to do with the Fottinger fluid clutch? i.e with the automatic "creep" effect?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Because without it Americans would press the wrong pedal and run over their children.

See: Audi 100/5000

Last edited:
As far as I know, it's purely a safety feature - there's really no mechanical reason it has to be present.

Because you can't fix stupid...but we do let them have cars.

Haha.Nothing beats a clutch pedal though.If only one could control the functioning of the fluid clutch in a automatic with a clutch pedal.Does something like that exist?Automatics feel tasteless for some reason.
So my idea is to decouple the turbine wheel from the pump wheel when the clutch pedal is pressed,much like the functioning of the hydrodynamic retarder.

marellasunny said:
Haha.Nothing beats a clutch pedal though.If only one could control the functioning of the fluid clutch in a automatic with a clutch pedal.Does something like that exist?Automatics feel tasteless for some reason.
So my idea is to decouple the turbine wheel from the pump wheel when the clutch pedal is pressed,much like the functioning of the hydrodynamic retarder.

To what purpose? All it would achieve would be to basically put the car in neutral whenever the pedal was engaged.

marellasunny said:
In automatics,one needs to press the brake (i.e the brake shift interlock switch) to shift the car out of park. What damage would happen if the brake shift-interlock wasn't present. Has it got something to do with the Fottinger fluid clutch? i.e with the automatic "creep" effect?

Apparently you haven't been around very long. LOL. Or, I may be giving my age away.

marellasunny said:

Not in Australia.

1. Why do automatics need a brake shift interlock?

Automatic cars need a brake shift interlock as a safety mechanism to prevent the vehicle from being shifted out of park without the brake pedal being pressed. This helps to prevent accidental movement of the car and potential accidents.

2. How does a brake shift interlock work?

A brake shift interlock works by requiring the driver to press the brake pedal before shifting the car out of park. This activates a solenoid that releases the shifter, allowing it to move into the desired gear.

3. Can a brake shift interlock be bypassed?

In most cases, no. Brake shift interlocks are designed to be a safety feature and are not meant to be bypassed. However, in emergency situations, there may be a manual override option provided by the manufacturer.

4. What happens if a brake shift interlock malfunctions?

If a brake shift interlock malfunctions, it can prevent the driver from being able to shift the car out of park. This can be a safety issue and the car should be taken to a mechanic to be repaired.

5. Do all automatic cars have a brake shift interlock?

Yes, all modern automatic cars are required to have a brake shift interlock as a safety measure. However, some older models may not have this feature.