Are there any existing experiments for non-axial tensile testing?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of performing intentionally-misaligned tensile tests on bolts to examine the effect of load application at different angles to the axis of the bolt. The speaker notes that this is not a typical shear test and mentions that finding information about such experiments has been difficult, with only a few studies on composite materials and limited sample sizes being found. The speaker then requests for any further information or larger-scale experiments on this topic.
Caznik
Hi guys,

So say I want to perform tensile tests on a bolt, but want to see what the effect of applying the load at various angles to the axis of the bolt would be. It's kindabutnotreally a shear test... I realize that if I had complete knowledge of the material properties of the bolt I could probably figure it out, but it's more complicated than that because the bolt is grouted.

Does anyone know if any kind of intentionally-misaligned tensile test experiment exists? I've found some for composite materials but they consider "non-axial" to mean that the fibres are aligned at an angle to the test axis and generally examine small samples.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Found some stuff on combined shear/tensile tests for the people of the far future who see this post:
Munse and (I love this name) Hugh Cox, 1956:
https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/bitstream/handle/2142/4323/engineeringexperv00000i00437.pdf?sequence=3

Steeve and Wingate (NASA), 2012:
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20120003667.pdf

Any further info would be appreciated, especially larger-scale experiments.

What is non-axial tensile testing?

Non-axial tensile testing is a type of mechanical test used to determine the tensile strength and behavior of a material when subjected to a force in a direction other than the longitudinal axis. It involves applying a force perpendicular to the axis of the material and measuring the resulting deformation and failure.

What types of materials are typically tested using non-axial tensile testing?

Non-axial tensile testing can be used on a variety of materials including metals, polymers, composites, and ceramics. It is commonly used in the aerospace, automotive, and construction industries to test the strength and durability of materials used in these applications.

How is non-axial tensile testing performed?

The testing process involves clamping the material in a specialized machine and applying a force perpendicular to the axis of the material. The applied force is gradually increased until the material begins to deform and eventually fail. The resulting data is then analyzed to determine the material's tensile strength and behavior under non-axial forces.

What are the benefits of non-axial tensile testing?

Non-axial tensile testing provides valuable information about a material's strength and behavior when subjected to forces in different directions. This can help engineers and scientists design and improve materials for specific applications, as well as ensure the safety and reliability of products.

What are the limitations of non-axial tensile testing?

Non-axial tensile testing may not accurately represent the real-life conditions that a material will experience, as it only tests for forces in one direction. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other types of testing to fully understand a material's mechanical properties.