Deriving the Analytic Function Derivative for Polar Coordinates

In summary, we are given the equations x=r\cos\theta and y=r\sin\theta and asked to show that the derivative of a complex function f(z) is given by the equation f'(z) = \left( \cos\theta \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}- \sin\theta\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial\theta}\right) + i\left( \cos\theta\frac{\partial v}{\partial r} - \sin\theta\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial v}{\partial\theta} \right). However, when using the chain rule, there seems to be a problem. It is pointed out that
sat
Take [itex]x=r\cos\theta[/itex] and [itex]y=r\sin\theta[/itex]

If [itex]f(z)=u(r,\theta) + iv(r,\theta)[/itex], is analytic with u and v real, show that the derivative is given by
[tex]f'(z) = \left( \cos\theta \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}- \sin\theta\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial\theta}\right) + i\left( \cos\theta\frac{\partial v}{\partial r} - \sin\theta\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial v}{\partial\theta} \right)[/tex]

Since f is analytic, I use the result
[tex]f'(z)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + i\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]
Though this seems to give
[tex]f'(z) = \left( (1/\cos\theta) \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}- (1/\sin\theta)\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial\theta}\right) + i\left( (1/\cos\theta)\frac{\partial v}{\partial r} - (1/\sin\theta)\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial v}{\partial\theta} \right)[/tex]

Can anyone see why this isn't correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you apply the chain rule...?I think there's a problem with that.

Daniel.

I just did:

du/dx = (du/dr)(dr/dx) + (du/dtheta)(dtheta/dx)

though I think that's probably not quite right when I think about the dependence of the variables on each other...

Though the "units" look OK at first sight, I'm not sure that I can do that.

Here's where you went wrong

[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial\theta}\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial x} [/tex] (1)

[tex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}=\frac{r\cos\theta}{r}=\cos\theta [/tex] (2)

Can u do the other derivative...?

Daniel.

Thanks. I'll look at that.

1. What is an analytic function derivative?

An analytic function derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also known as the slope or gradient of the function at that point.

2. How is the derivative of an analytic function calculated?

The derivative of an analytic function is calculated using the limit definition of a derivative, which involves finding the slope of a line tangent to the function at a given point. This is usually done using algebraic manipulation and taking the limit as the distance between two points approaches zero.

3. What are some applications of analytic function derivatives?

Analytic function derivatives have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to model and analyze rates of change in various systems and to optimize functions for maximum or minimum values.

4. Can an analytic function have more than one derivative?

Yes, an analytic function can have multiple derivatives, known as higher-order derivatives. The first derivative represents the slope of the function, the second derivative represents the rate of change of the slope, and so on. Higher-order derivatives can provide more information about the behavior of a function at a given point.

5. Are there any special types of analytic function derivatives?

Yes, there are several special types of analytic function derivatives, including the partial derivative, which represents the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding other variables constant. Other special types include the directional derivative, which represents the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, and the total derivative, which represents the overall change of a function due to changes in all of its variables.