Boeing 747-400 Takeoff Speed: What You Need to Know

• Boeing
  • Thread starter Badass
  • Start date
In summary, the take off speed for a 747-400 can vary depending on weather conditions and weight, but an average speed for a fully-loaded passenger carrier would be around 135 KIAS (250 Kph). However, the actual rotate speed is determined by the operations manual, taking into account factors such as air density. The pilot's perspective may differ from that of a non-pilot.
Badass
Does anyone know what speed of take off the 747-400 achieves please? I do know that it differs a bit due to weather conditions but since I've been on them so many times I was getting rather interested.:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Badass;
The 747-400 lifts off at 250kph.

Whilst 135 KIAS (250 Kph) sounds reasonable, the planes that I flew had also a weight factor. The heavier weight, the higher the T/O speed.

Correct of course, Andre. More speed for more lift to overcome more gravity. I was quoting what I assume to be an average for a fully-loaded passenger carrier taken from the Air New Zealand website.

The POH is going to tell you what the rotate speed is based on weather and loading. Does anyone happen to have a operations manual for a -400?

Glad you mentioned the weather, Fred. I forgot to also clarify that the speed depends upon air density as well as weight. It takes a lot longer to get off the ground in hot air.

Don't forget the nasty, three H's Danger...

speed depends upon air density.

True, but the pilot won't notice because he is actualy looking at the dynamic air pressure and he is supposed to rotate when the dial hits the mark which is independent of the air density. The actual groundspeed will change though and hence the T/O roll.

FredGarvin said:
Don't forget the nasty, three H's Danger...
Maybe things have changed more than I realized in the 29 years since I last had my mitts on a yoke. I've never heard that term.:confused:

To Andre: Once again correct, from a pilot's perspective. Badass, however, is obviously not one, so I assumed (yeah, bad habit) that he was referring to ground speed.

1. What is the takeoff speed of a Boeing 747-400?

The takeoff speed of a Boeing 747-400 varies depending on factors such as weight, altitude, and temperature, but it generally ranges from 160-180 knots (184-207 mph) for a fully loaded aircraft.

2. How is the takeoff speed determined?

The takeoff speed is determined by the aircraft's weight, altitude, temperature, and other factors such as runway length and wind conditions. It is calculated by the pilot using performance charts provided by the aircraft manufacturer.

3. Why is the takeoff speed important?

The takeoff speed is important because it ensures that the aircraft has enough speed and lift to safely become airborne. It is a critical factor in the aircraft's ability to successfully take off and climb to its desired altitude.

4. How does the takeoff speed of a Boeing 747-400 compare to other aircraft?

The takeoff speed of a Boeing 747-400 is relatively high compared to other commercial aircraft due to its size and weight. It is also higher than the takeoff speed of smaller private or regional jets.

5. Can the takeoff speed of a Boeing 747-400 be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as runway length, wind conditions, and weight can affect the takeoff speed of a Boeing 747-400. Pilots must take these factors into consideration when calculating the takeoff speed for a safe and successful takeoff.