Calculating Volume & Mass of Neutralizing Agents

In summary, the conversation involved a person seeking help with calculations involving the neutralization of 50 kg of sulphuric acid using two different methods: adding a solution of 5 M NaOH or powdered calcium carbonate. The steps to calculate the volume of 5 M NaOH needed and the mass of calcium carbonate needed were discussed. The importance of showing units in calculations and using proper formulas was emphasized. The conversation ended with the person being unsure of their calculations and seeking further clarification.
Janka
Hello people...could u help me pls...coz i am rly stuck in these thing like calculations...i know all right answers but i am not too sure how to get them...please if somebody of us has a few minutes could u help me with that?
Thank you very much.

50 kg of pure sulphuric acid were accidentally released into a lake when a storage vessel leaked.Two methods were proposed to neutralise it.

(a) The first proposal was to add a solution of 5 M NaOH to the lake.
Sodium hydroxide reacts with sulphuric acid as follows:

2NaOH (aq) + H2SO4(aq) ---> Na2SO4 (aq) + 2H2O (l)

Calculate the volume of 5 M NaOH required to neutralise the sulphuric acid by answering the following questions.

(i) How many moles of sulphuric acid are there in 50 kg of teh acid?

H2SO4 = 2+32+ 16+16+16+16= 98 g mol-1

50 kg = 50 000g / 98 = 510.2 moles

(ii) how many moles of sodium hydroxide are required to neutralise this acid?

510 x 2 = 1020 moles

(iii) Calculate the volume , in dm3 , of 5 M NaOH which contains this number
of moles.

well..here i don't know what to do :(

(b) The second proposal was to add powdered calcium carbonate which
reacts as follows:
CaCO3 (s) + H2SO4 (aq) ---> CaSO4(s) + H2O(l) +CO2(g)

Calculate the mass of calcium carbonate required to neutralise 50 kg of sulphuric acid.

no.of moles in 50 kg of H2SO4 = 510 moles

CaCO3 = 40+12+(16x3) =100 g mol-1

510 x 100 = 51 000 g = 51 kg.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Janka said:
Hello people...could u help me pls...coz i am rly stuck in these thing like calculations...i know all right answers but i am not too sure how to get them...please if somebody of us has a few minutes could u help me with that?
Thank you very much.

50 kg of pure sulphuric acid were accidentally released into a lake when a storage vessel leaked.Two methods were proposed to neutralise it.

(a) The first proposal was to add a solution of 5 M NaOH to the lake.
Sodium hydroxide reacts with sulphuric acid as follows:

2NaOH (aq) + H2SO4(aq) ---> Na2SO4 (aq) + 2H2O (l)

Calculate the volume of 5 M NaOH required to neutralise the sulphuric acid by answering the following questions.

(i) How many moles of sulphuric acid are there in 50 kg of teh acid?

H2SO4 = 2+32+ 16+16+16+16= 98 g mol-1

50 kg = 50 000g / 98 = 510.2 moles

(ii) how many moles of sodium hydroxide are required to neutralise this acid?

510 x 2 = 1020 moles

of moles.

well..here i don't know what to do :(

You should, somewhere, have a formula: molarity=(number of moles) /(volume of solution). This will be useful here.

(b) The second proposal was to add powdered calcium carbonate which
reacts as follows:
CaCO3 (s) + H2SO4 (aq) ---> CaSO4(s) + H2O(l) +CO2(g)

Calculate the mass of calcium carbonate required to neutralise 50 kg of sulphuric acid.

here i don't know what to do as well...:(

Well, i would calculate the number of moles in 50kg of H2SO4, use the equation to see how many moles of CaCO3 are required to neutralise it, then find the mass of this number of moles of CaCO3.

What you think about this calculation :

of moles.

I used this formula:

amount of substance, in mol= concentartion x ( volume of solution / 1000)
1020 = 5 M x ( V / 1000 )
1 020 000 = 5 M x V
204 000cm3 = V

204 000 cm3= 204 dm 3

hope it s right now.

When doing these calculations, please show your units. They will be a great help to you. Make sure that the units for concentration and volume of solution are similar.

What is the '1000' doing in your calculation? Units?

1. What is the formula for calculating volume and mass of neutralizing agents?

The formula for calculating volume and mass of neutralizing agents is mass = volume x density. The density of a substance is typically measured in grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per liter (kg/L). This formula can be used for both solid and liquid neutralizing agents.

2. How do I determine the volume of a solid neutralizing agent?

The volume of a solid neutralizing agent can be determined by measuring its dimensions (length, width, and height) in centimeters and then using the formula V = l x w x h. Make sure to use the same unit of measurement for all dimensions.

3. How do I determine the volume of a liquid neutralizing agent?

The volume of a liquid neutralizing agent can be determined by measuring the volume of the container it is in, using a graduated cylinder or beaker. Make sure to record the units of measurement and subtract the volume of the container from the total volume to get the volume of the liquid.

4. How do I convert mass and volume measurements in different units?

You can convert mass and volume measurements by using conversion factors. For example, to convert from grams to kilograms, divide the mass in grams by 1000. To convert from milliliters to liters, divide the volume in milliliters by 1000.

5. Why is it important to accurately calculate the volume and mass of neutralizing agents?

Accurately calculating the volume and mass of neutralizing agents is important for several reasons. It ensures that the correct amount of neutralizing agent is used in experiments or chemical reactions, which can affect the outcome and results. It also helps with safety precautions, as using too much or too little neutralizing agent can be dangerous. Additionally, precise measurements are necessary for replicating experiments and for comparing results with other scientists.