Chemistry Naming: C First in CO2? H2O OH2?

• Thread starter mrzero
  • Start date
In summary, the naming of chemicals follows a simple rule: the electropositive constituent (cation) should always be placed first.
mrzero
Hi I have a lame question about the naming of chemicals . If we get a combination of 2 chemicals like CO2 why is the C in the first place ? Why isn’t CO2 named O2C ? H2O is another example why not OH2 ? what determines the proper naming of chemicals thanks for the futer answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not a chemist but just thinking about all of the chemical formulas I'm familiar with it seems like they're in alphabetical order.

The alphabet of which language, I couldn't tell you. I would've thought Latin or Greek or something like that.

I believe that the convention of simple molecules such as CO2 and H2O are based on the "core atom" or the one with the lowest electro negativity.

eg in CO2 the electronegativity of C is = 2.5
O is = 3.5

It's a periodic Trend for the more metallic element to be placed first.

Or, the further to the left it is.

It's always NaCl

HCL

FrF

Whatever, that is a the basic rule, there are one or two exceptions such at Methan CH4, but that is simply because there are 4 hydrogens, but as a simple rule it seems to work well.

O bump

I never asked a chemist this question maybe one will eventually come here. We have some theories here maybe somebody explain it and be a teacher or phd or professor or something ?

The electropositive constituent (cation) should always be placed first. In the case of binary compounds between nonmetals, the constituent that should be placed first is the one which appears earlier in the sequence: Rn, Xe, Kr, B, Si, C, Sb, As, P, N, H, Te, Se, S, At, I, Br, Cl, O, F. The latter is in accordance with established practice.

What chemisttree said holds for most all simple molecules you could write a formula for. As they get more complicated, especially with organic ones, there's an extensive hierarchy of what goes first, how atoms are grouped together, and what name the compound has by IUPAC standards.

Which can get *really* complicated once you get deep into organic molecules, to the point where you have a method where you assign points to each atom in a molecule to decide whether the molecule has a 'clockwise' or 'anti-clockwise' configuration...

1. What does the "C" stand for in CO2?

The "C" in CO2 stands for carbon. CO2 is a chemical formula for carbon dioxide, a colorless gas with a molecular structure of one carbon atom bonded to two oxygen atoms.

2. Why is "C" listed first in the chemical formula for CO2?

In chemistry, the first element listed in a chemical formula is the one with the highest electronegativity. Carbon has a higher electronegativity than oxygen, so it is listed first in CO2.

3. Is the "O" in CO2 the same as the "O" in H2O?

No, the "O" in CO2 stands for oxygen in its gaseous form, while the "O" in H2O stands for oxygen in its liquid form. These two elements have different properties and behave differently in chemical reactions.

4. What does the "H" stand for in H2O?

The "H" in H2O stands for hydrogen. H2O is a chemical formula for water, a colorless and odorless liquid with a molecular structure of two hydrogen atoms bonded to one oxygen atom.

5. Why is "H" listed first in the chemical formula for H2O OH2?

The chemical formula for water, H2O, is written this way because hydrogen is the first element listed when naming compounds in alphabetical order. The "OH2" portion indicates that the hydrogen is bonded to an oxygen atom, making it different from just H2O.