US Presidential Primaries, 2008

• News
  • Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary, the Iowa Caucus is going to be a close race, with Huckabee and Paul fighting for fourth place.

Who will be the eventual nominee from each party?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sorry to break all of your bubbles, but the results have already been leaked:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Poop-Loops said:

:rofl: Funny and clever.

That IS funny... kinda makes you want to cry funny, but FUNNY!

I just saw that tomorrow, Ohio could be virtually shut down due to ice and snow. Already CNN is predicting that voting stations could lose power.

Poop-Loops said:

I just had fun watching the messages on the bottom :rofl:.

Some weeks ago we were discussing the phenomenon of cross-over voting for the expressed purpose of causing mischief in the other party. I don't remember which thread it was in, sorry if I have it in the wrong one...but here's Rush encouraging conservatives to vote for Clinton:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

"I want Hillary to stay in this…this is too good a soap opera," Limbaugh told fellow conservative talk-show host Laura Ingraham on Fox News Friday.

The report also states that in January, a liberal blog encouraged Michiagan voters to vote for Romney (remember him?).

Is this legal? How could a true citizen misuse their precious vote to disrupt the democratic process?

lisab said:
Some weeks ago we were discussing the phenomenon of cross-over voting for the expressed purpose of causing mischief in the other party. I don't remember which thread it was in, sorry if I have it in the wrong one...but here's Rush encouraging conservatives to vote for Clinton:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

"I want Hillary to stay in this…this is too good a soap opera," Limbaugh told fellow conservative talk-show host Laura Ingraham on Fox News Friday.

The report also states that in January, a liberal blog encouraged Michiagan voters to vote for Romney (remember him?).

Is this legal? How could a true citizen misuse their precious vote to disrupt the democratic process?

What are you talking about? Voting is central to the Democratic process. Motivations are entirely irrelevant...

Speaking of voting, I found this interesting.

In Texas, Not All Voters Are Equal
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=87851341
Morning Edition, March 3, 2008 · Voters in Texas go to the polls Tuesday in one of four primaries. However, the Lone Star state's contest is different than the others. Texas Democrats apportion their delegates according to voter turnout in previous elections — regardless of the turn out in this election.

chemisttree said:
What are you talking about? Voting is central to the Democratic process. Motivations are entirely irrelevant...

And what would be the result if everyone tried to game the system?

There are basic ethics and a moral responsibility here to cast sincere votes.

chemisttree said:

Imagine a lifelong Republican voter crossing over to the Democratic party to vote for Clinton in the primary.

If that voter is doing so because he truly is a newborn Clinton supporter...OK.

But if that voter's only intention is to disrupt the Democratic Party's candidate selection process, well, that smells like fraud to me.

People have fought and died for our right to vote. It should be cast with honor.

No help for Obama in Ohio.

Cleveland, Ohio

Tuesday
27-30 degrees F

Freezing rain...snow and sleet in the morning...then occasional freezing rain and rain in the afternoon. Snow and sleet accumulation around an inch. Ice accumulation of less than one quarter of an inch. Brisk with highs in the lower 30s. Northeast winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
» ZIP Code Detail
Tuesday Night
Freezing rain or snow or sleet with a chance of rain in the evening...then snow after midnight. Additional snow and sleet accumulation around an inch. Brisk with lows in the upper 20s. Northeast winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph...becoming north 5 to 10 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.

Ivan Seeking said:
Tuesday
27-30 degrees F
How odd! It's been up in the 60s here most of the day today.

Couldn't that weather actually help Obama, though? If it suppresses the turnout of older voters and the young charged-up voters decide to vote and make a statement, I can see how bad weather might break the state his way, especially if black voters in urban areas decide this primary is important. It's a matter of voter commitment. My wife and I have attended caucuses in REALLY nasty winter weather. It's important to do so because the lower turnout means that your preferences in the caucuses have a higher impact that they would have during a high-turnout event. We both registered Democratic one year so that we could attend the D caucuses and help decide between Dick Gephardt and Jesse Jackson, both of whom were very strong labor advocates during a tough period for the workers at Maine's paper mills.

Historically bad weather means a lower turnout, and Obama has a large base in Cleveland. Hillary is focused more on the East and South where the weather should be better.

On a positive note, Obama has been working the SW corner of the state so he may be finding that he has some traction in Republican territory.

Last edited:
Wow! Now CNN is predicting flash floods in the Southern part of the State.

With the caveat that we haven't agreed on the definition of victory in Texas... I am assuming that we are using the declared winner, if there is such a thing. It is possible that Hillary would win the popular vote but get fewer delegates.

Ohio primaries
Dem: Clinton
Rep: McCain

Rhode Island primaries

Texas primaries
Dem: Obama

Vermont primaries

turbo-1 said:
Couldn't that weather actually help Obama, though? If it suppresses the turnout of older voters and the young charged-up voters decide to vote and make a statement, I can see how bad weather might break the state his way, especially if black voters in urban areas decide this primary is important. It's a matter of voter commitment.
The turnout of young voters has been much higher than past elections in the Democratic primaries. Usually, the young voters are the least charged up.

A higher than usual turnout is an accomplishment in itself. It would be extremely optimistic to think young voters have suddenly been converted from the most apathetic to the most committed.

I'd expect the young voters to be the first group discouraged by the weather.

Ivan Seeking said:
Ohio primaries

Rhode Island primaries

Texas primaries

Vermont primaries
Me too...though I'm afraid Clinton might end up taking Texas by a whisker.

Ivan Seeking said:
Ohio primaries

Rhode Island primaries

Texas primaries

Vermont primaries

Yep, this is how I'm going, too.

Apparently many Texans and Ohioans voted early, maybe as many as 1 in 5 in Ohio.

Day of Reckoning for Clinton, Obama
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17838435 [Broken]

As soon as the polls closed, CNN projected that Obama and McCain win Vermont. The polls close in Ohio in 27 minutes.

Clinton's thrashing Obama in Ohio and RI...and she might pull off a reasonable win in the TX Primary too. When do the caucuses in TX close?

The exit polls show that in all states women outnumbered men 3 to 2.

Maybe women got riled about the difference between the way Obama was treated by the media and the way Clinton has been treated. Or Clinton hit the right notes on the issues. Interesting.

Edit: Texas is very close, but Clinton has big leads in Ohio (35% precinct reporting) and RI.

But look at the popular votes. Either the Republicans are just not turning out or largeer proportions of those states are Democrats, or Independents are voting in the Dem primaries, so the Democrats could conceivably carry red states in the general election!

Last edited:
Looks like Hilary is going to keep her campaign going if tonight turns out well for here. Pennsylvanians get ready! We're up next!

If Clinton wins big in OH, she'll like refuese to quite. That'll certainly make Pa and interesting race.

Looks like Hillary might take the TX primary with a large difference. Unlikely that Obama will close that gap in the caucuses tonight.

Right now the count may not be representitive. He has large margins in the population centers which are just now reporting. The current results are mainly from the rural areas.

Actually, from what I'm seeing, Obama has a good chance of taking Texas.

One TX county was a dead tie with 100% of the votes counted - about 2300 to 2300. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Actually, from what I'm seeing, Obama has a good chance of taking Texas.

One TX county was a dead tie with 100% of the votes counted - about 2300 to 2300. :biggrin:

I agree, Obama does have a good chance in Texas.

The first results to come in from there are from the primaries. Clinton tends to do well in primaries; Obama tends to do well in caucuses. If the first results have Clinton up by just a little, Obama could still win when the caucus results come in tomorrow.

Looks like the Primary results will be much closer than the exit polls were suggesting (over 10% margin for Clinton). Very early numbers on the caucus results are coming in as expected: Obama with a double digit lead.

OH NO! CNN just projected Hillary the winner in TX...in the primary.

Is it good for McCain that Clinton and Obama will probably spend the rest of the primary season exposing each other's weak points? Or is bad publicity better than no publicity at all? By the end of the primary season, we will hear the Clinton team talk about Obama and the Obama team talk about Clinton, and no one will even remember McLane's name.

lisab said:
Imagine a lifelong Republican voter crossing over to the Democratic party to vote for Clinton in the primary.

If that voter is doing so because he truly is a newborn Clinton supporter...OK.

But if that voter's only intention is to disrupt the Democratic Party's candidate selection process, well, that smells like fraud to me.

People have fought and died for our right to vote. It should be cast with honor.

I agree with your sentiment that a vote for Hillary would not be honorable... tell ten of your friends how you feel! That aside, are you advocating some form of Thought Police? I can see it now... "No, Mr. Smith, you can't vote in this election because your motivations aren't pure enough."

I don't think anyone has died for THAT sentiment. Fraud! That's rich! A vote by a Republican for Hillary is fraud? Someone should tell that to Hillary...

chemisttree said:
I agree with your sentiment that a vote for Hillary would not be honorable... tell ten of your friends how you feel! That aside, are you advocating some form of Thought Police? I can see it now... "No, Mr. Smith, you can't vote in this election because your motivations aren't pure enough."

I don't think anyone has died for THAT sentiment. Fraud! That's rich! A vote by a Republican for Hillary is fraud? Someone should tell that to Hillary...

No one was talking about law enforcement. Either you are ethical and resposible or you cheat. Which are you advocating?

Ivan Seeking said:
No one was talking about law enforcement. Either you are ethical and resposible or you cheat. Which are you advocating?
You can't cheat unless there is a rule to break and you agreed not to break it and then you broke it. What rule are you talking about?

<h2>What are US Presidential Primaries?</h2><p>US Presidential Primaries are a series of state-level elections held by political parties to determine their respective nominees for the upcoming presidential election. These primaries are used to select delegates who will then attend the party's national convention and vote for their preferred candidate.</p><h2>When were the 2008 US Presidential Primaries held?</h2><p>The 2008 US Presidential Primaries were held between January and June of 2008. The first primary was held in Iowa on January 3rd, and the last primary was held in Montana on June 3rd.</p><h2>Who were the main candidates in the 2008 US Presidential Primaries?</h2><p>The main candidates in the 2008 US Presidential Primaries were Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton for the Democratic Party, and John McCain for the Republican Party. Other notable candidates included Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, and Ron Paul.</p><h2>How are delegates allocated in the US Presidential Primaries?</h2><p>Delegates are allocated to candidates based on the results of each state's primary election. The number of delegates each state has is determined by its population and its historical support for the party. Some states also have a winner-takes-all system, while others allocate delegates proportionally.</p><h2>Why are US Presidential Primaries important?</h2><p>US Presidential Primaries are important because they allow for the selection of the major party nominees for the upcoming presidential election. They also provide an opportunity for candidates to gain media attention, fundraise, and build momentum for their campaigns. Additionally, these primaries allow for the voices of individual voters to be heard in the selection of the next US President.</p>

What are US Presidential Primaries?

US Presidential Primaries are a series of state-level elections held by political parties to determine their respective nominees for the upcoming presidential election. These primaries are used to select delegates who will then attend the party's national convention and vote for their preferred candidate.

When were the 2008 US Presidential Primaries held?

The 2008 US Presidential Primaries were held between January and June of 2008. The first primary was held in Iowa on January 3rd, and the last primary was held in Montana on June 3rd.

Who were the main candidates in the 2008 US Presidential Primaries?

The main candidates in the 2008 US Presidential Primaries were Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton for the Democratic Party, and John McCain for the Republican Party. Other notable candidates included Mike Huckabee, Mitt Romney, and Ron Paul.

How are delegates allocated in the US Presidential Primaries?

Delegates are allocated to candidates based on the results of each state's primary election. The number of delegates each state has is determined by its population and its historical support for the party. Some states also have a winner-takes-all system, while others allocate delegates proportionally.

Why are US Presidential Primaries important?

US Presidential Primaries are important because they allow for the selection of the major party nominees for the upcoming presidential election. They also provide an opportunity for candidates to gain media attention, fundraise, and build momentum for their campaigns. Additionally, these primaries allow for the voices of individual voters to be heard in the selection of the next US President.