*Project* Building electrical (robotic) arm. Need help

In summary: It's a great book and will give you a good grounding in both servo control and pneumatics/hydraulics.
milkisgood
Hello, I'm an electrical engineering student and I've decided to build a robotic arm as a final project for one of my classes.

Basically, my skills as far as building circuitry and solving electrical problems are at an intermediate level at this point, however, I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of building a movable arm.

Anyways, before I start anything I want to simply build a clamp that closes and opens with an electrical circuit. More specifically, I want to create a motion that is similar to a toilet seat rising up and coming down.

I think using hydraulics to achieve this would be best, but any other suggestions are more than welcome.

So anyone with any tips as to where I can start or how I can go about making the clamp... please share!

Thanks in advance!

(By the way, if something like what I described is available to purchase online and someone has a link to it, then it would make things much easier for me just to buy it!)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Milkisgood.
Unless you need significant power, hydraulics is probably not the best way to go. It's expensive and bulky. You'd be better off using electric servo motors.

The easiest way to go is using a servo, and generate a fitting PWM wave to control the circuit, you can use a 555 timer to hack a pwm together, or if you want something fancy, you can get a PIC18f4331, those have about 8? if i remembe correclty PWM's.

Last edited:
I can't imagine a servo being powerful enough to lift a loo seat up directly!
It depends on the control you want and the speed.

If you're happy with a slow action, a motor with a either a rack and pinion arrangement or a worm gear would suffice. For accurate control, use a stepper motor.

If you want a fast open or shut then a powerful electromagnet may do the trick. There's a lot of overhead to running hydraulics or pneumatics, but they would certainly give you the power and the speed to catapult a sitter a fair distance :-)

If you can reduce the angular momentum of the thing you're moving, the less torque you'll need to get it moving.

----
Oops, just reread your post, and I think I got the wrong end of the stick regarding size.

Have a look at 123 robotics experiments for the evil genius by Myke Predko. Not a great book, and a bit dated, but from scratch he shows you how to build a robot arm using servos, including the grabby thing.

Last edited:
While it might not be big enough for the intended purpose, I've successfully used a bicycle brake caliper as a gripper (it even has a non-slip contact area). The 'opening' spring needs to be removed, though.

Oh god, sorry, another mistake. The book I meant was PIC Robotics: A Beginner's Guide to Robotics Projects Using the PIC Micro by John Iovine.

1. How does the robotic arm move and function?

The robotic arm is powered by electricity and uses a combination of motors, gears, and sensors to mimic the movements of a human arm. The motors provide the necessary torque to move the arm, while the gears allow for complex movements and precise control. Sensors are used to detect and respond to external stimuli, allowing the arm to perform tasks autonomously.

2. What materials are needed to build a robotic arm?

The specific materials needed may vary depending on the design and functionality of the arm, but some common components include motors, gears, sensors, microcontrollers, and a power source. Other materials such as metal or plastic may be used for the arm's structure and gripper. It is important to carefully select high-quality materials to ensure the arm's durability and functionality.

3. How long does it take to build a robotic arm?

The time it takes to build a robotic arm can vary depending on the complexity of the design and the builder's experience. It may take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to complete the assembly and programming of the arm. It is important to carefully plan and follow instructions to ensure the arm is built correctly and functions properly.

4. What skills are needed to build a robotic arm?

Building a robotic arm requires a combination of technical skills, including knowledge of electronics, mechanics, and programming. It also requires good problem-solving skills and attention to detail. Some experience with building and assembling projects may also be helpful.

5. Can the robotic arm be controlled remotely?

Yes, the robotic arm can be controlled remotely through the use of a controller or a computer. This allows for more flexibility and precision in controlling the arm's movements. It is also possible to program the arm to perform specific tasks autonomously, without the need for human control.