Is Garlic Powder an Effective Remedy for Sinusitis?

• Thread starter OAQfirst
  • Start date
In summary, garlic powder has been found to have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that may help to alleviate symptoms of sinusitis. However, there is limited scientific evidence to support its effectiveness as a remedy. While some studies have shown positive results, more research is needed to determine the true benefits of using garlic powder for sinusitis. As with any natural remedy, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using garlic powder to treat sinusitis.
OAQfirst
A few years ago, I had sinusitis. I went to a number of doctors, including an otorhynolaryngologist. Nothing worked and was advised to have surgery.

A stranger suggested I use garlic powder to treat sinusitis. I was instructed to basically snort tiny mounds of the powder and to be sure to use water. I tried for a while and in a few days was relieved.

Now that I think about it, is this a safe way to treat the infection? Is it really treating it, or doing something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is dangerous to try things that are not approved by the medical community or prescribed by a medical doctor. You are essentially playing guinea pig for a stranger.

Salt water has been shown to work. I wouldn't snort anything. It gets to your lungs... that's not good. But the way salt water work is it goes through one nostril and out the other. The salt water irritates your sinuses, but basically develops calluses so they are not as sensitive.

WarPhalange said:
Salt water has been shown to work.

Any statement like this requires a valid reference. :smile:

WarPhalange said:
The salt water irritates your sinuses, but basically develops calluses so they are not as sensitive.

Um, actually no. Salt water is prescribed (by legitimate doctors) for those who have irritated, overly dry sinuses. It provides moisture WITHOUT irritating them further, because the solution is isotonic. It's not a cure for sinusitis though, mostly just prescribed to alleviate nosebleeds. And you're not supposed to inhale enough to drown yourself, just a little mist.

Moonbear said:
Um, actually no. Salt water is prescribed (by legitimate doctors) for those who have irritated, overly dry sinuses. It provides moisture WITHOUT irritating them further, because the solution is isotonic. It's not a cure for sinusitis though, mostly just prescribed to alleviate nosebleeds. And you're not supposed to inhale enough to drown yourself, just a little mist.

Hot as you can stand hot water is a perfectly useful gargle for treating sore throats. It loosens the mucous and infection sites at the back of the throat for bacterial infection and at the very least for viral infection offers additional heat to the inflamed tissue. Any disease matter you expel through the gargling irrigation has got to be a plus.

The idea of it causing callousing though seems a little different from anything I have ever heard about. I've seen mention of drinking apple cider vinegar (with water of course) as something that thins sinus congestion. That I have never wanted to try. I find that a long steaming shower serves to loosen congestion in the sinus.

Moonbear said:

Although you're probably right on the mechanism (wow did I ever miss that one...), we're not thinking of the same thing. This is what I was thinking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0lr8JKwIzQ&feature=related

e0lr8JKwIzQ&feature=related[/youtube] Show starts at about the 3 minute mark.

I have gurgled cayenne pepper mixed with water for a sore throat and it works.

Crushed fresh garlic contains allicin which does exhibit antimicrobial activity. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10594976 in garlic tissue that has been crushed (catalyzed by an enzyme) and is active eaten fresh in your food. (It breaks down upon cooking)..It is debatable if any reaches the microbes infecting the sinuses, but at least it can assist in lowering the resident population external to the sinus. So next time you eat some hummus with chopped fresh garlic, savor each mouthful :smile:

Salt water irrigation of the nose is recommended by the medical community for nasal health. Using isotonic salt solution, Dr http://www.ent-consult.com/cv.html" sytem. It was designed so that the pulses occur at the same frequency as our nasal cilia (hairlike projections) move, to aid in clearing mucous from the nose & sinus. The cilia normally move in beat-like waves and the pulses simulate this motion. The isotonic solution bathe and dilute the thickened mucous. The saline is gently propelled, first up one nostril and allowed to drain from the other. Similarly it can be applied to your 2nd nostril. The positive pressure of the saline solution is believed to have a siphoning effect (drawing vacuum) as it passes by the small openings to the sinus, loosening & drawing out thickened mucous and aiding to re-establish the sinus' natural clearing mechanism.

Last edited by a moderator:
colloidal silver actual works, but can have some interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyria"

bassplayer142 said:
I have gurgled cayenne pepper mixed with water for a sore throat and it works.

it has some anesthetic properties

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin#Medical

Last edited by a moderator:
This is getting too close a do-it-yourself medicine thread. Always consult with a physician before attempting to use any so called home remedy.

1. How does garlic help in treating sinusitis?

Garlic contains a compound called allicin, which has antibacterial and antifungal properties. This helps to fight the infection that causes sinusitis. It also acts as a natural decongestant, helping to clear mucus from the sinuses.

2. Can garlic be used as a standalone treatment for sinusitis?

No, garlic should not be used as the sole treatment for sinusitis. It can be used as a complementary treatment along with other conventional methods, such as antibiotics and nasal sprays.

3. How should garlic be consumed to treat sinusitis?

Garlic can be consumed in various forms, such as raw, cooked, or in supplement form. However, for sinusitis treatment, it is recommended to consume raw garlic, either by crushing and adding it to food or by making a garlic tea.

4. Are there any potential side effects of using garlic for sinusitis?

Garlic is generally safe for consumption, but some people may experience side effects such as bad breath, upset stomach, or skin irritation. It is also not recommended for people taking blood thinners or before surgery.

5. How long does it take for garlic to show effects on sinusitis?

The duration of garlic's effectiveness in treating sinusitis can vary depending on the severity of the infection and individual response. It may take a few days to a week before noticeable improvements are seen. Consistent use is recommended for optimal results.