Design Automotive Exhaust: Headers & Noise Attenuation

In summary, there are two recommended resources for information on the design of automotive exhausts: Winterbone et al's paper on the theory of manifold design and Blair's book on design and simulation of four stroke engines. Both sources have excellent material on runner design, although they may not specifically cover noise attenuation. Additionally, Winterbone and Pearson's paper can be found on Ohiolink.edu for college/university members.
bill nye scienceguy!
Hi, can anyone point me in the direction of some good information relating to the design of automotive exhausts? In particular design of headers and calculations for noise attenuation.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure. Winterbone et al published a fantastic paper on the theory of manifold design, which should be a really good step in the right direction. Also Blair's book, "design and simulation of four stroke engines" has some excellent stuff on runner design.

It might not be noise attenuation, but I recall A. Bell's "Performance Tuning for the Four-Stroke Engine" as being EXTREMELY interesting with lots of material on exhaust and intake systems.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1844253147/?tag=pfamazon01-20

brewnog said:
Sure. Winterbone et al published a fantastic paper on the theory of manifold design, which should be a really good step in the right direction. Also Blair's book, "design and simulation of four stroke engines" has some excellent stuff on runner design.

can you give me the full title of the paper? I've had trouble finding it with just the author's name as a search reference. I've tried arxiv, scirus and my university's library to no avail.

Yep. It's Winterbone, D.E. and Pearson, R.J. Theory of Engine Manifold Design, Warrendale, PA: SAE 2000

It's on Ohiolink.edu if you're college/university is a member.

1. What is the purpose of designing automotive exhaust headers?

The purpose of designing automotive exhaust headers is to improve the performance of the engine by increasing the efficiency of exhaust gas flow. This leads to better fuel economy, increased horsepower, and reduced emissions.

2. How are exhaust headers designed?

Exhaust headers are designed using computer-aided design (CAD) software and are typically made from stainless steel or ceramic materials. The design process involves considering factors such as the engine's size, cylinder layout, and desired performance goals.

3. What is the role of noise attenuation in designing automotive exhaust headers?

Noise attenuation is an important factor in designing automotive exhaust headers as it helps to reduce the loud and unpleasant sounds produced by the engine. This is achieved by using different materials and designs to absorb and dissipate the sound waves.

4. How do exhaust headers impact the overall exhaust system?

Exhaust headers have a significant impact on the overall exhaust system as they are responsible for collecting the exhaust gases from each cylinder and routing them to the exhaust pipe. A well-designed exhaust header can improve the performance and sound of the entire exhaust system.

5. Can aftermarket exhaust headers be used to improve the performance of a vehicle?

Yes, aftermarket exhaust headers can be used to improve the performance of a vehicle. These headers are designed to have larger primary tubes and better flow characteristics, which can increase horsepower and torque. However, it is important to ensure that the aftermarket headers are compatible with the specific vehicle's engine and exhaust system.