How to make an inclinometer

• Thread starter cindyjoi
  • Start date
In summary, the student is having difficulty understanding how to start the project. They need help from someone with experience in this area.
cindyjoi
how to make an inclinometer using potentiometer? pendulum is attached on the potentiometer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How do you think? Tell us your thoughts on this school project.

our inclinometer would not use any sensor. we'd start mechanically using pendulum and potentiometer. and the resistances and voltages wopuld be converted into angles.. our problem is we don't know how our circuit diagram would be to start it..anyone can help us pls..

cindyjoi said:
our inclinometer would not use any sensor. we'd start mechanically using pendulum and potentiometer. and the resistances and voltages wopuld be converted into angles.. our problem is we don't know how our circuit diagram would be to start it..anyone can help us pls..

No, sorry. This is simple enough that you need to post more of your thoughts in order to get help from us. We do not give out answers to school projects here on the PF. Show us a drawing of a potentiometer, including the wiper/CW/CCW connections. If you hook a pendulum to the axle of the potentiometer, what will change as the pendulum rotates the axle? What could you connect to the wiper/CW/CCW terminals to tell you the angular position of the axle?

i think the problem may be that although it's simple enough, if you've never done it before, it's hard to get a sense of where you're going and how to get there. and this is where i have a problem with top-down design strategies, they rely on prior knowledge/experience and thus aren't really top-down. i'd suggest you start with your output. consider how the angle must be represented to the user and work backwards from that to your potentiometer. in fact, you should find yourself working from front and back at the same time and meet somewhere in the middle.

I would also like to mention that you should look at the design both mechanically and electronically. Your mechanical device must be sound and provide a good electronic coupling. i.e. if you want good data results.

cindyjoi said:

Typically when I have a mental block on a system design I start with a simple block diagram of the major system components. Then I break each block down into sub-assemblies. Perhaps that will help your ideas to flow.

CS

1. What is an inclinometer and how does it work?

An inclinometer is a device used to measure the angle of inclination or slope of an object or surface. It works by utilizing a sensor, such as an accelerometer, to measure changes in the device's orientation and calculate the angle of inclination based on the direction of gravity.

2. What materials are needed to make an inclinometer?

To make an inclinometer, you will need a protractor, a string, a weight, a straw, a container, and a ruler. Optional materials include a compass, hot glue, and a level.

3. How do I assemble the inclinometer?

To assemble the inclinometer, start by attaching the protractor to the container using hot glue or tape. Next, thread the string through the straw and tie the weight to the end of the string. Attach the straw to the center of the protractor using hot glue or tape. Finally, use a compass to ensure the container is level and adjust if necessary.

4. How do I use the inclinometer to measure an angle?

To use the inclinometer, hold the container steady and allow the weight to hang freely. The string will align with the angle of inclination, which can then be read on the protractor. Make sure to read the angle from the bottom of the string to get an accurate measurement.

5. What are some common applications of an inclinometer?

Inclinometers have many applications, including measuring the angle of a slope for construction or surveying purposes, monitoring the pitch and roll of a ship or aircraft, and determining the tilt of a vehicle or piece of equipment. They are also commonly used in physics experiments to study the effects of gravity on objects.