Design Large Spur Gear - 44in CNC Shop Bot

In summary, the conversation is about designing an oversize gear with large teeth and trying to calculate the number of teeth needed based on a given Pitch Diameter. The individual has been struggling with finding the right formula and has been using calculations for the Pitch Diameter, Number of teeth, and Diametral Pitch. They also mention needing to check the radius used to make the sides of the teeth and the presence of irrational numbers in real world problems. They reference The Machinery Handbook and a website for gear calculations.
ssakcaj77
Hi, I am new to this forum so forgive if i am mis posting or multi posting. I am in the process of designing a 44 inch gear to cut on my shop bot cnc machine. I have been up and down calculations but i end up with tiny teeth and can not find the right formulae to calculate an oversize spur gear. Any thoughts ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What exactly are you trying to calculate? What do you mean by "tiny teeth"?

pantaz said:
What exactly are you trying to calculate? What do you mean by "tiny teeth"?

I am trying to build an oversize gear with large teeth. Given a Pitch Diameter(D) of 44" I am trying to find how to base the number of teeth (N) in order to calculate Diametral pitch(P)

Pitch Diameter is D=N/P

Number of teeth is N=D x P

Diametral Pitch is P= N/D

Based on that, we have D but I am not sure what to do about knowing what the propper amount of teeth would be or do you just pick em and go with it.

I picked a number and went with it for fun and when i was done calculateing addendum, dedendum etc I ended up with teeth that were around 1/2 big. It would work, but i need larger teeth for this project.

I also need to check to see about the radius used to make the sides of the teeth. I read that there is a chart of info on this . Need to find my machneries handbook!

Pi is irrational, where do the left over digits go?

Doug Huffman said:
Pi is irrational, where do the left over digits go?

doug, what the hell you want me to do with that statement ?

I am traveling at the moment and for the week. I don't have my library handy. ISTR I seem to recall that there are formulas in The Machinery Handbook for setting up gear cutters. The extra digits of irrational numbers are a typical problem for real world problems.

Doug Huffman said:
I am traveling at the moment and for the week. I don't have my library handy. ISTR I seem to recall that there are formulas in The Machinery Handbook for setting up gear cutters. The extra digits of irrational numbers are a typical problem for real world problems.

im just trying to find my copy of MHB right now

QTC has their http://www.qtcgears.com/Q410/Q410Cat.htm" [Broken]. The spur gear calculations are universal.
http://www.qtcgears.com/Q410/Q410Cat.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What materials are commonly used to make 44in spur gears?

Some common materials used to make 44in spur gears include steel, cast iron, brass, and plastic. The specific material used will depend on the requirements of the gear, such as strength, durability, and cost.

2. How do you determine the number of teeth on a 44in spur gear?

The number of teeth on a 44in spur gear is determined by the pitch, or distance between teeth, and the diameter of the gear. A common formula used is N = PD / 3.14, where N is the number of teeth, P is the pitch, and D is the diameter of the gear.

3. What is the purpose of a 44in spur gear?

A 44in spur gear is commonly used in large industrial machinery to transmit power and motion between two parallel shafts. They are often used in applications such as conveyor systems, wind turbines, and heavy equipment.

4. How are 44in spur gears manufactured?

44in spur gears can be manufactured using various methods, including casting, forging, and machining. For high precision and large quantities, CNC (computer numerical control) machining is often used. This involves using automated machines to cut and shape the gear from a block of material.

5. What are some important considerations when designing a 44in spur gear?

When designing a 44in spur gear, some important considerations include the load and torque requirements, the speed and direction of rotation, the desired material and heat treatment, and the method of manufacturing. It is also important to consider the gear's compatibility with other components in the system and any necessary design modifications for noise reduction and efficiency.