Can a Function Equal Its Own Derivative?

• Thread starter Axecutioner
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible for f(x) to be equal to f '(x) if the function is of the form f(x)=Ce^x, where C is any real number. No other functions are known to satisfy this condition.
Axecutioner
Is it possible for f(x) to be equal to f '(x)? I've been trying all day to make it work and have gotten nothing.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Axecutioner said:
Is it possible for f(x) to be equal to f '(x)? I've been trying all day to make it work and have gotten nothing.

Thanks

Sure, if f(x)=ex, then f'(x) = ex = f(x).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, didn't think about that. XD I kept trying Trig to make it work...

Are there any other ways?

Axecutioner said:
Oh, didn't think about that. XD I kept trying Trig to make it work...

Are there any other ways?

if you solve the differential equation

f'(x)=f(x)

You'd see that any multiply of ex would satisfy the condition. I think that is the only function, that I know of anyhow.

Indeed, every function of the form [tex]f(x)=Ce^x[/tex], with [tex]C\in \mathbb{R}[/tex] will do. There are no other functions that equal it's own derivative...

Is it possible to travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is not possible for any object with mass to travel at the speed of light, let alone faster. The speed of light is considered to be the maximum speed at which anything in the universe can travel.

Is it possible for humans to live on Mars?

While it is theoretically possible for humans to live on Mars, it would require significant technological advancements and resources. Additionally, the harsh environment and lack of atmosphere on Mars make it extremely difficult for humans to survive without protective equipment and systems in place.

Is it possible for a computer to become conscious?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that computers can become truly conscious beings. While advancements in artificial intelligence have allowed computers to mimic human behavior and thought processes, true consciousness and self-awareness are still unique to living beings.

Is it possible to time travel?

While time travel is a popular concept in science fiction, there is currently no scientific evidence to support its possibility. The laws of physics, specifically the theory of relativity, suggest that time travel would require immense amounts of energy and is unlikely to occur.

Is it possible to create a perpetual motion machine?

A perpetual motion machine is a hypothetical device that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy source. However, this goes against the laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed. Therefore, it is not possible to create a perpetual motion machine.