Finding Complicated Inverse Functions

In summary, the derivative of an inverse function is 1/(dx/dy), and it is useful for finding the inverse of a complicated function on an interval.
JungleJesus
We have a formula for the derivative of an inverse function:
dy/dx = 1/(dx/dy).

Just how useful is it?
Say we want to find the inverse of a complicated function, f(x), on an interval (a,b) on which f(x) is one-to-one. Can we use integration to find such a function?

Example: Say we didn't know much about the function h(x) = sin(x), but wanted to express its inverse as an integral (this was my inspiration for the idea). How could this be done?

More importantly, this would apply to functions like F(x) = x*e^x. Its inverse, W(x), is important in several applications. Say I choose the branch on (0, infinity). Could I express this branch (or any other I choose) as an integral of well-defined functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "express its inverse as an integral?"

If you want to find the derivative of an inverse, implicit differentiation(or similar variations) is sometimes the only way.

To express arcsin(x) as an integral, one would find its derivative, and say arcsin(x) = ∫ darcsin(x) or ∫ sqrt(1-x2)-1 dx.

Is that what you mean, or do you want to know how to do implicit differentiation?

OH! You mean find the inverse by differentiating, the integrating the inverse of the derivative. That's a very clever idea! But, unfortunately, in the hard cases like arcsin, it won't get you anywhere.

In the case of sin(x), you would get arcsin(x).
[tex]d(sinx) = cosx dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d(sinx)}{dx} = cosx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{d(sinx)} = secx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}[/tex] The rightmost being the most common form of the derivative of arcsin(x)
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{d(sinx)} = \int secx = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}} = arcsin(x) + C[/tex] A facepalm would be appropriate here. :tongue:

TylerH said:
OH! You mean find the inverse by differentiating, the integrating the inverse of the derivative. That's a very clever idea! But, unfortunately, in the hard cases like arcsin, it won't get you anywhere.

In the case of sin(x), you would get arcsin(x).
[tex]d(sinx) = cosx dx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d(sinx)}{dx} = cosx[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{d(sinx)} = secx = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}}[/tex] The rightmost being the most common form of the derivative of arcsin(x)
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{d(sinx)} = \int secx = \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 - x^2}} = arcsin(x) + C[/tex]

Yes. That's exactly what I'm talking about. I want to investigate a general method of finding inverse functions using calculus. For the trig functions, this is easy due to right-triangle trigonometry and the inverse function rule for derivatives. Unfortunately, in its present form, the inverse function rule only works if you know the inverse function at a "deeper" level. I want to actually produce analytic inverse functions on a particular interval. The simplest case I can think of is a strictly monotonic polynomial like [tex]f(x) = x{3}+x{2}+x[/tex]. This inverse is tough to find, but if I could set up an integral that equals this inverse, I would be happy.

Once I can find inverses of one-to-one functions, I can restrict the domains of any differentiable functions until they are one-to-one on an interval, and work from there.

There is one method I can think of, which involves the intersection of a curve with a line. say you have [tex]y = f(x)[/tex]. Switch the x and y so that [tex]x = f(y)[/tex]. Now, x is a function of the independent variable y, which produces an "inverse graph". A line parallel to the y-axis would now be considered "horizontal" in this context. Find the intersection(s) [tex]f(y) = c[/tex] where x = c. x is the argument of the inverse function of f(x). The values where f(y) = c are the values of the inverse function.

This is only a numerical method, and will give several values for inverses of functions that are not one-to-one. My hope is that it could shed some light on my greater problem.

Thanks for reading my post. Any help will be appreciated. :biggrin:

Have you learned Taylor Series? It seems to accomplish what you're attempting. Not to be a cynic, but I'm pretty sure that when trying to apply this to functions with non-elementary inverses you'll end up just integrating to that inverse(ei the non-elementary inverse will be the only function with the derivative in question). It does have application in finding inverses of functions with elementary inverses, but I, for one, would prefer to stay as far away from integrating (3x2+2x+1)-1 as possible.

I like the idea of series, but I don't think they would be applied in that way exactly. Integrating (3x^2 + 2x +1)^-1 would not give the inverse of f(x) = x^3 + x^3 + x.The existing formula requires that the inverse be known to find the derivative. Once you have the derivative, you can integrate it to find the inverse (a moot point). I'm wondering if I can sidestep this fact.

What is known about finding inverses? What are some examples of common and advanced procedures? This might be a launching point.

1. What is the definition of an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that undoes the action of another function. In other words, if a function f(x) maps an input x to an output y, the inverse function g(y) maps y back to x.

2. Why is finding complicated inverse functions important?

Finding inverse functions is important in many areas of mathematics and science, such as calculus, physics, and engineering. It allows us to solve equations and problems that involve inverse relationships, and it also helps us understand the behavior of functions and their graphs.

3. What are some common methods for finding inverse functions?

Some common methods for finding inverse functions include algebraic manipulation, graphing, and using the concept of composite functions. Other methods such as the substitution method and the Newton-Raphson method can also be used for more complicated cases.

4. Can all functions have an inverse function?

No, not all functions have an inverse function. Inverse functions can only exist for one-to-one functions, which means that each input has a unique output. If a function is not one-to-one, it cannot have an inverse function.

5. How can I check if my answer for a complicated inverse function is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging in both the original and inverse functions into each other. If the result is x, then the inverse function is correct. You can also graph both functions and see if they are reflections of each other over the line y=x.