Rearranging a series to prove a limit.

In summary, the conversation discusses a collection of mathematical journal articles that includes an article on alternating series. The article proves that the series \sum (-1)^n \frac{\sqrt(2)^{(-1)^{n}}}{n} diverges by grouping terms in pairs and showing that the partial sums diverge. The concept of rearranging series is discussed, and the significance of the limit -> 0 statement is explained. The conversation also touches on the difference between proving convergence and divergence and how rearranging terms can affect the result. Ultimately, it is stated that any conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to have an arbitrarily large sum.
Yuqing
I was reading a book which is a collection of interesting mathematical journal articles. Within the book there was an article which discussed alternating series. In particular, at one point in the article it proves that the series

[tex]\sum (-1)^n \frac{\sqrt(2)^{(-1)^{n}}}{n}[/tex]

diverges. To be a bit more clear the series is

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{2}}{1}-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{3}-\frac{1}{4\sqrt{2}}+..[/tex]

To directly quote the article:

"Since [tex]lim (-1)^n \frac{\sqrt(2)^{(-1)^{n}}}{n} = 0 [/tex]

we may group these terms in pairs, and number them 2n+1, 2n+2 in pairs, with n=0,1,2..., as follows:

[tex]S=[\frac{\sqrt{2}}{1}-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4}] + [\frac{\sqrt{2}}{3}-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{8}] + ...+ [\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2n+1}-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4n+4}][/tex]

[tex]S=\sum [\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2n+1}-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{4n+4}][/tex]

[tex]=\sum \frac{\sqrt{2}}{4} \frac{1}{n+1} \frac{2n+3}{2n+1}[/tex]

where the latter part is clearly divergent. "

Would that be considered a rearrangement of the series? I'm a bit confused on whether you can group terms together or move them around. I know series which are conditionally convergent can be rearranged to any sum and it follows that you cannot prove a limit with a rearrangement. To illustrate the source of my confusion I look at the classic series

1+(-1)+1+(-1)+1+(-1)+...

in which 1+(-1+1)+(-1+1)+... gives 1
and (1+(-1))+(1+(-1))+(1+(-1))+... gives 0
so grouping does seem to affect the result and this journal appears to be doing the same thing. Also, I'm not sure what the significance of the first statement (the limit -> 0) is. It doesn't seem to be used.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
By rearrangement we mean infinite rearrangement.
What was done here is even partial sums have been considered.
Clearly if the even, odd, or any infinite subset of partial sums diverge the series diverges.

The the limit -> 0
is used in that it is a necessary condition for the series to converge, we can say the original series converges if and only if the new one does.
It is not needed in that the series diverges, but if the new series had converged the limit condition would be needed to conclude the convergence. It is in a sense easier to show a series diverges because many of our theorems and lemmas are of the form if several things are true the series converges, if any of them are false the series diverges. To prove convergence we need to check all the conditions to prove divergence we can stop when any condition fails to be satisfied.

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
By rearrangement we mean infinite rearrangement.
What was done here is even terms have been considered.
Clearly if the even, odd, or any infinite subset of terms diverge the series diverges.

This is not true. http://books.google.com/books?id=E6_DiJDIptoC&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12".

Last edited by a moderator:
^I clarified above I was speaking of the partial sums not terms of the series. The sequence {S_N} dervived from a sequence {a_N} by the rule S_(N+1)=S_N+a_(n+1).

lurflurf said:
we can say the original series converges if and only if the new one does.

No, it doesn't any conditionally convergent series can be rearranged to have an arbitrarily large sum. For instance, http://www.mat.univie.ac.at/~gue/lehre/08einan/einfanalysis.pdf" explains how the alternating harmonic series can be so rearranged on page 39.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of rearranging a series to prove a limit?

The purpose of rearranging a series to prove a limit is to make the series more manageable and easier to evaluate. By rearranging the terms, we can sometimes identify patterns or use known limits to prove the desired limit.

2. How do you know when it is necessary to rearrange a series to prove a limit?

It is necessary to rearrange a series to prove a limit when the series is not in a form that can be directly evaluated using known limits or when the desired limit is not obvious from the original series.

3. What are some common techniques for rearranging a series to prove a limit?

Some common techniques for rearranging a series to prove a limit include factoring, grouping terms, and using known series expansions or identities.

4. Can rearranging a series to prove a limit change the value of the limit?

No, rearranging a series to prove a limit does not change the value of the limit as long as the original series and the rearranged series have the same terms and are only rearranged in a different order.

5. Are there any cases where rearranging a series to prove a limit is not possible?

Yes, there are some cases where rearranging a series to prove a limit is not possible. For example, if the original series does not converge, then rearranging it will not lead to a different result. Additionally, if the desired limit does not exist, then rearranging the series will not be helpful in proving its existence.