Exploring Entanglement: Time Travel and Parallel Universes

In summary: When I pointed it out, he turned around, erased it, and asked, "What's wrong with that?"Good one. :rofl:My Psych prof once wrote Frued on the blackboard.When I pointed it out, he turned around, erased it, and asked, "What's wrong with that?"In summary, this conversation discusses a recent documentary on time travel experiments using two devices. The basic explanation is that Device A sends a photon and Device B receives it, but Device B receives the message before Device A sends it. The question arises about what happens if Device A is switched off during the period between Device B receiving the message and Device A sending it. The possibility of a parallel universe sending the message is
ANT_SB
I watched a recent documentry regarding the recent time travel experiments using two devices. A basic explanation:

Device A sends a photon which device B recieves, device B however receives the message before Device A sends it.

My question regarding this is:

If device B receives the photon before the message is sent, then what happens if you switch off Device A during the period between Device B receiving the message and Device A sending it?

If device B still actually receives the message, but device A is unable to send it then could we be looking at a parrallel universe sending the message in the first place?

Indeed, could this be an experiment for testing for a parallel universe. For if device A is unable to send the message (it is switched off), then how on Earth can device B receive it?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ANT_SB said:
I watched a recent documentry regarding the recent time travel experiments using two devices. A basic explanation:

Device A sends a photon which device B recieves, device B however receives the message before Device A sends it.

My question regarding this is:

If device B receives the photon before the message is sent, then what happens if you switch off Device A during the period between Device B receiving the message and Device A sending it?

If device B still actually receives the message, but device A is unable to send it then could we be looking at a parrallel universe sending the message in the first place?

Indeed, could this be an experiment for testing for a parallel universe. For if device A is unable to send the message (it is switched off), then how on Earth can device B receive it?Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, the "multiverse" suggests that at each "multiple choice" situation the universe splits into as many new universes as needed for all possibilities to occur. I think the multiverse concept if needed only if you insist that time exists as it appears to us, always going forward, like a water stream.

If you accept that the future and the past exist "simultaneously," constantly evolving but NOT necessarily with time, then maybe the mulitverse is no longer necessary. It's our perception of time that is the problem.

For example, everyone talks about "the present" as if it were something that actually exists, which it doesn't. How long is "the present?" A second? A nanosecond? Plank's constant? Or none of the above?

The very basis of Newtonian physics lies in predictability, IMO. The predictability goes in both forward and backwards in time, also called determinism.

Einstein literally spent decades trying to think up experiments that would prove QM was incomplete because he couldn't accept a Universe that was NOT determinate. He couldn't do it.

It's certainly possible that QM is beyond the ability of humans to understand even in small part, yet some physicists far smarter than me suggest that we actually create the universe by being observer/participants.

There are no cases in which a photon is detected before it is created. There are situations in which photons become entangled after they are detected. However, no information is transmitted from the future to the past in this case. See middle of page 5:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0201134

DrChinese said:
There are no cases in which a photon is detected before it is created. There are situations in which photons become entangled after they are detected. However, no information is transmitted from the future to the past in this case. See middle of page 5:

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0201134

Actually the notion that a photon is "created" is incorrect. The universe started out with a certain amount of energy and that energy is continuously changing form. That's why Feynman diagrams are useful imagery tools.

A photon which is "detected" no longer exists, if you accept the notion that time always flows forward, which is debatable.

On the subatomic level, if you do an experiment meant to detect wave-like properties you detect wave-like properties. If you do an experiment meant to detect particle-like properties you detect particle-like properties. It shouldn't come as a surprise that if you do an experiment to detect "entanglement" properties you do indeed detect entanglement properties.

Every time a question is answered in physics, IMO, the nature of reality becomes even more weird.

By the way, welcome to PhysicsForums!

DrChinese said:
By the way, welcome to PhysicsForums!

Thank you, I love physics.
It's fun of delicious paradoxes that are fun to argue about.

Zentrails said:
Thank you, I love physics.
It's fun of delicious paradoxes that are fun to argue about.

So fun you got to say it twice!:wink:

Disconnected said:
So fun you got to say it twice!:wink:

Ya got me on that one.
I got to check my grammar more carefully.
I mangled that one rather badly.
The first "fun" should have been "full."
Unfortunately, my brain speed exceeds my typing speed.

I do love that tho.. Alpha->Omega=(Alpha/Omega/Alpha/...).

Zentrails said:
Ya got me on that one.
I got to check my grammar more carefully.
I mangled that one rather badly.
The first "fun" should have been "full."
Unfortunately, my brain speed exceeds my typing speed.

Just a little Freudian slip... shows how fun it really is.

Disconnected said:
Just a little Freudian slip... shows how fun it really is.

Good one. :rofl:
My Psych prof once wrote Frued on the blackboard.

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other particle, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How does entanglement occur?

Entanglement can occur through a variety of processes, such as the interaction of particles or through the decay of a larger particle into two entangled particles. However, the exact mechanism of entanglement is still not fully understood.

3. What are the applications of entanglement?

Entanglement has many potential applications, including quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and teleportation. It also plays a crucial role in quantum information theory and the study of quantum mechanics.

4. Can entanglement be observed in everyday life?

No, entanglement is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and is not observable in everyday life. It requires specialized equipment and controlled environments to detect and study entangled particles.

5. What are the implications of entanglement for our understanding of the universe?

Entanglement challenges our understanding of the universe, as it suggests that particles can be connected in ways that defy our classical understanding of cause and effect. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in the quantum world.