How to Visualize Differential Equations?

• Thread starter cowmoo32
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the author suggests that it is difficult to appreciate math without being able to visualize it in one's head. Generally speaking, calculus flows into areas, trig builds shapes, and linear algebra builds spaces. However, when it comes to differential equations, the author finds it difficult to visualize them. He suggests looking at a simple mass/spring system, or solving the equation for different values of x to get an idea of what the solution is saying. Unfortunately, when solving differential equations, the author finds that the visualization options are limited to computer methods.
cowmoo32
I don't feel that I can truly appreciate a math without being able to visualize it in my head. Generally speaking: calculus flows into areas, trig builds shapes, and linear algebra builds spaces, but I cannot for the life of me look at a diff eq and 'see' it, so to speak. While only proficient in trig and calculus, I'm learning linear algebra and diff eq but I'm finding it harder to grasp diff eq for this very reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
cowmoo32 said:
I don't feel that I can truly appreciate a math without being able to visualize it in my head. Generally speaking: calculus flows into areas, trig builds shapes, and linear algebra builds spaces, but I cannot for the life of me look at a diff eq and 'see' it, so to speak. While only proficient in trig and calculus, I'm learning linear algebra and diff eq but I'm finding it harder to grasp diff eq for this very reason.

Trying to visualize the differential equation itself I think is very difficult. I don't know how to do it, unless it represents a physical system where I derived the differential equation from. Visualizing solutions to ODE's at least is much easier. If you can't, then plot it in MATLAB or MAPLE to help you get an idea of what the solution is saying. I suggest looking at a simple mass/spring system, such as this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_oscillator

there are things we can solve by mathematical equations but not visualize it...as a proof directly , example we can visuaize (a+b)^2, or (a+b)^3...but can you visualize (a+b)^4 that easily but we can get a solution that's the beauty of mathematical expressions

I don't like to visualize them. Instead, I try to understand them. For example, with the equation
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x}=x,[/tex]
I think that how fast y changes is proportional to x. If I have
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x}=x+x^2,[/tex]
I think that there are 2 factors that contribute to the change of y - x and [itex]x^2[/itex].

Visualisation in the phase space or as a vector field might be helpful. However, visualisation in dimensions higher than 3 is difficult & can be misleading.
Have you heard this one ? - A biologist is asked what his mental picture of a dog is. He says that the picture is as follows:

DOG

I think this is a little more than a mere joke.

Something all are familiar with are speed and acceleration which are
simple examples of diff. equations.

For example:

[tex]v=\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]a=\frac{dv}{dt}=\frac{d²x}{dx²}[/tex]

where the velocity v is how long distance you got after a certain time. Or in other words, difference in distance over difference in time.

And same for acceleration which describes how the speed has changed after a certain time.

Don't know how that helps visualize it but you can feel acceleration :)

DEs come in a variety of sizes and shapes, so it's hard to give a general answer to your question. But there are helpful visualization methods for some common classes of DEs. Strogatz describes some of them in Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos.

I. In Diff. Eq. there are a variety of methods for a variety of equations.

Something to consider:
Create a summary table showing
A. what form the original equation looks like.
B. steps in the solution method.
C. Other notes or cautions to be aware of, possible comparisons & contrasts.

If you lay these out in a clear pattern, it can help one visualize the course, & understand the varieties of methods to apply & when to apply them.

II. Unfortunately, when starting a Diff. Eq. the visualization options tend to be limited to computer methods. I'm more familiar with the terms
"vector field" or "slope field"
See http://www.sosmath.com/diffeq/slope/slope1.html"
Any college level mathematical software will have and thankfully, wolframAlpha.com may be able to graph vector fields.
See
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/VectorPlot.html"

III. When solved it can be very instructive to plot a "solution family" or multiple solution curves. Using a different color for each solution can be useful.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=2y'+++xy+=+sin+x" Notice the "sample solution family", where x:0->2.

Bye.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of visualizing differential equations?

The purpose of visualizing differential equations is to gain a better understanding of the behavior and solutions of the equation. It can also help in identifying patterns and trends that may not be evident from just looking at the equation itself.

2. What are some common techniques for visualizing differential equations?

Some common techniques for visualizing differential equations include plotting solutions on a graph, using phase portraits to show the behavior of solutions over time, and creating animations to demonstrate changes in the system.

3. How can visualizing differential equations aid in problem-solving?

Visualizing differential equations can aid in problem-solving by providing a visual representation of the equation, which can help in identifying key features and relationships. It can also help in verifying solutions and predicting the behavior of the system.

4. What are some challenges that may arise when visualizing differential equations?

Some challenges that may arise when visualizing differential equations include the complexity of the equation, the difficulty in accurately representing the solution graphically, and the limitations of the chosen visualization technique.

5. Are there any software or tools that can assist in visualizing differential equations?

Yes, there are several software and tools available that can assist in visualizing differential equations, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Wolfram Alpha. These programs have built-in functions and tools specifically designed for visualizing differential equations.