How can I rearrange my equation to make 'apipe' the subject?

• Thread starter 3123marriott
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving rearranging a formula to make "apipe" the subject. The problem involves finding the value of "apipe" and the conversation explores different approaches and equations to solve it. The suggested solution involves using a root finding algorithm and a cubic equation to find the value of "apipe".
3123marriott
if anyone can do this i will be very happy I've had a good old try and i end up just lost in variables
i would like to re-arrange to make apipe the subject

eq.jpg

i ended up with the sqrt of one apipe which i don't know how to solve;

thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
3123marriott said:
if anyone can do this i will be very happy I've had a good old try and i end up just lost in variables
i would like to re-arrange to make apipe the subject

View attachment 43400

i ended up with the sqrt of one apipe which i don't know how to solve;

thanks

Hey 3123marriott and welcome to the forums.

[EDIT] I made a really stupid mistake by not reading the whole thing properly so I will post reply later.

Ok then.

For this problem I think it may actually be an implicit problem meaning that you can't just represent it in a normal functional manner (like APipe(blah) = blah). This means that you will end up getting an implicit equation instead of an explicit equation. If this is the case you will have to use a root finding algorithm to get answers given that you have values for the other parameters.

It would be helpful if you show your work so that we can give you hints and help you understand for yourself what is going on.

Since this question is in basic algebra, not "linear and abstract algebra", I am moving it to "General Mathematics".

I'd try the following (if there is no gross mistake in what follows): multiply up and down the right-hand side by [itex]{\sqrt g}[/itex], and pass [itex]g \, C_0 A_{pipe} \sqrt 2[/itex] multiplying to the left; then take [itex]A_{tank} \sqrt{Z_{full}}[/itex] as common factors on the right and pass them dividing to the left:[tex]
\frac {g T C_0 A_{pipe}} {A_{tank}} \sqrt {\frac 2 {Z_{full}}} = 2 \sqrt g - \sqrt{\frac{C_f L P}{A_{pipe}}}
[/tex]Now substitute [itex]B^2 = A_{pipe}[/itex], and multiply through by one more [itex]B[/itex]:[tex]
\frac {g T C_0} {A_{tank}} \sqrt {\frac 2 {Z_{full}}} B^3 - 2 \sqrt g B + \sqrt{C_f L P} = 0
[/tex]
That's a cubic equation in [itex]B[/itex], which should have at least one real solution (or maybe three):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubic_function#Roots_of_a_cubic_function

For each non-negative solution, take [itex]A_{pipe} = \sqrt B[/itex] as a solution to your original problem.

P.S.: Oh well, that's what chiro was saying all along...

What is "Hardcore re-arrangement help"?

"Hardcore re-arrangement help" is a problem-solving technique commonly used in scientific research to rearrange and manipulate data in order to gain new insights and findings.

Why is "Hardcore re-arrangement help" important in scientific research?

Scientific research often involves large amounts of complex data that need to be organized and analyzed in a meaningful way. "Hardcore re-arrangement help" allows scientists to rearrange this data in various ways to uncover patterns and relationships that may not have been initially apparent.

What are some common methods used in "Hardcore re-arrangement help"?

Some common methods used in "Hardcore re-arrangement help" include data normalization, cluster analysis, and principal component analysis. These techniques involve reorganizing data in a way that makes it easier to identify patterns and trends.

How can "Hardcore re-arrangement help" benefit scientific research?

By rearranging and manipulating data, "Hardcore re-arrangement help" can help scientists identify new patterns and relationships in their data that may have been previously overlooked. This can lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of study.

Are there any limitations to "Hardcore re-arrangement help"?

Like any other scientific technique, "Hardcore re-arrangement help" has its limitations. It requires careful consideration and interpretation of results, and the conclusions drawn from rearranged data may not always be accurate or conclusive. It is important for scientists to use this technique in conjunction with other methods to ensure the validity of their findings.