Finding the Early voltage from the 2N5551 datasheet

• Thread starter gnurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the datasheet lists the Early voltage at 100V, but bypasses the purpose of the question. Thanks.
gnurf
Is it possible to find the Early voltage (VA) of the 2N5551 based on the information in the datasheet? As it happens, I see that the SPICE model in the datasheet lists this parameter at 100V, but that bypasses the purpose of the question. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to find the datasheet that show hoe.
Knowing hoe we can without difficulty determine Early voltage.
See this datasheet as a example
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/SGSThomsonMicroelectronics/mXyzzyw.pdf

Va = (Ic/hoe) - Vce = (1mA/5uS) - 10V = 200V - 10V = 190V

But as you can see we have a large manufacture spread. So in practice, if we don't know the exact value we assume a type value Va = 100V

Yes, but unfortunately I can't find this hoe in the datasheet.

gnurf said:
Yes, but unfortunately I can't find this hoe in the datasheet.
This is normal.
Why do you need to know Va voltage?

Hmm... in the graphic of forward gain x collector current... the increase in forward gain in small signals is due to Early effect... should be able to get it from there, shouldn't it?

hf = hfo ( 1 + Vce/Va)

if one matches hf vs Ic, and Ic vs Vce... that should give Va...?

Jony130 said:
Why do you need to know Va voltage?
In my book, the Early effect is modeled as a resistor, ro, between the collector and emitter:

ro = (VA +VCE)/IC

I'm trying to find this value for a simple CE stage based on the 2N5551.

Not with this data sheet. Look for another brand that has the Ic vs Vce curve. If you cut the graph and stick on a piece of paper with a lot of room on the left side, then extend the straight portion towards the left, they all should meet at Ic=0 at one point and that's the early voltage Va.

If it is a common transistor, there should be plenty of manufacturers. I notice different manufacturer give different information.

And other way if you have good meter, measure it yourself. Set up a bias condition with grounded emitter, then vary the collector voltage and read the current. This is hard as the change are very small. But it's doable.

But do you know that
hoe = 1/ro
Also when load resistance (Rc||RL) of a CE stage is not such a larger we can ignore ro effect on the voltage gain.

Problem is data sheet of normal small signal BJT don't give you the h parameters, only β. Only the RF transistors that give you s-parameters, then you can do transformation.

Also the output impedance of a transistor is not ro alone as hoe is measure with ib=0. The collector curves are drawn with ib not equal to zero. It depend on the collector current.

Last edited:

What is the Early voltage of the 2N5551 transistor?

The Early voltage, also known as the output resistance, of the 2N5551 transistor is typically 80V according to the datasheet.

Why is the Early voltage important in transistor circuits?

The Early voltage plays a crucial role in determining the gain and stability of transistor circuits. It affects the output impedance and the frequency response of the circuit.

How is the Early voltage measured in the 2N5551 datasheet?

The Early voltage is measured by plotting the output current against the output voltage at different collector-emitter voltages. The slope of this curve at low collector currents is the Early voltage.

What factors can affect the Early voltage of a transistor?

The Early voltage can vary depending on the temperature, bias conditions, and manufacturing process of the transistor. It can also be affected by external factors such as noise and interference in the circuit.

How can I use the Early voltage in my transistor circuit design?

The Early voltage can help you determine the appropriate biasing and load resistance values for your circuit to achieve the desired gain and frequency response. It can also be used to predict the stability of the circuit under different conditions.