Political Science 390: Occupy Everywhere

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, Roosevelt University will be offering a course on the Occupy movement where students will review literature, essays, and articles about the movement, conduct original research, and discuss democracy and economic inequality. There is talk of the movement becoming a political party, but there is currently no clear message or theme. Some believe the movement has potential to create a legitimate third party, while others doubt its ability to mobilize voters. There have been various manifestos created by protesters, but consensus among participants must be reached before any political action can be taken.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Roosevelt University To Offer Course On Occupy Movement

...Students taking the course will review literature, essays and articles about the Occupy movement, as well as additional research on democracy and economic inequality. Students will also conduct original research on elements of the Occupy movement...
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/02/06/roosevelt-university-to-offer-course-on-occupy-movement/

The movement moves into the next phase - official recognition.

Physics news on Phys.org
They really ought to get organized, start a political party, and run people for office.

Ivan Seeking said:
What does "official recognition" mean?

TheStatutoryApe said:
They really ought to get organized, start a political party, and run people for office.

That would be interesting to see play out.

Pythagorean said:
TheStatutoryApe said:
That would be interesting to see play out.
I'd hazard a guess that this wouldn't work because the occupy movement is made up of many different groups with many different agendas that happen to share on a few vague common points like not liking wealth disparity, not liking the state of the economy and liking occupying places. Trying to pull together a political party out of that would be very hard, how on Earth could they create a workable manifesto under the guise of a few shared ideals? How will they decide energy, foreign, science etc policy? How would they even decide what social and economic steps would lead to achieving their goals? Some might just advocate tougher regulation of private enterprise with more taxes (e.g. social responsibility audits and financial transaction taxes) but others would argue for a full confiscating of private property and the installation of a near communist state. Others would argue for no state and how you build a viable political party out of anarchists I have no idea.

Last edited:
It is tough to imagine how such a movement might coalesce into a party, but I'd guess it would be far to the left of Obama. Obama is so far to the right of most of the progressives that it's silly - still, he has to resort to recess appointments to get non-controversial nominees in position.

I'd venture that http://www.dsausa.org/dsa.html group already holds some of the major ideas of the movement.

Ivan Seeking said:
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/02/06/roosevelt-university-to-offer-course-on-occupy-movement/

From your link. my bold

"Students taking the course will review literature, essays and articles about the Occupy movement, as well as additional research on democracy and economic inequality. Students will also conduct original research on elements of the Occupy movement."

I guess they'll study newsreports, police reports, and blogs?

Ryan_m_b said:
I'd hazard a guess that this wouldn't work because the occupy movement is made up of many different groups with many different agendas that happen to share on a few vague common points like not liking wealth disparity, not liking the state of the economy and liking occupying places. Trying to pull together a political party out of that would be very hard, how on Earth could they create a workable manifesto under the guise of a few shared ideals? How will they decide energy, foreign, science etc policy? How would they even decide what social and economic steps would lead to achieving their goals? Some might just advocate tougher regulation of private enterprise with more taxes (e.g. social responsibility audits and financial transaction taxes) but others would argue for a full confiscating of private property and the installation of a near communist state. Others would argue for no state and how you build a viable political party out of anarchists I have no idea.

I think the Occupy has a few things going for it that would allow it an easier chance of being a legitimate party. They definitely don't have a clear message or theme, but they do have massive amounts of public recognition and the ability to mobilize sizable numbers of activists, and are probably in-tune with the 'digital era' more so than most other organizations. If they can pull together a clear message and distances itself from the more extreme viewpoints and actions that developed over the last year, it could help create a legitimate 3rd party.

I have my doubts though unless they can move away from "Wall Street evil!" because in the end, I don't think that kind of talk is capable of getting people off their butts and into the polling place.

Pengwuino said:
I think the Occupy has a few things going for it that would allow it an easier chance of being a legitimate party. They definitely don't have a clear message or theme, but they do have massive amounts of public recognition and the ability to mobilize sizable numbers of activists, and are probably in-tune with the 'digital era' more so than most other organizations. If they can pull together a clear message and distances itself from the more extreme viewpoints and actions that developed over the last year, it could help create a legitimate 3rd party.

I have my doubts though unless they can move away from "Wall Street evil!" because in the end, I don't think that kind of talk is capable of getting people off their butts and into the polling place.

Who knows - before the summer is over they might decide to rally behind Ron Paul?

Forming a political party to represent the “Occupy Movement” is a distinct possibility in the future. Before that can happen consensus among the participants over “demands” must be found, organized, and publicized. Below are four examples of just that…Manifestos. These documents reminds one of Martin Luther protesting against Papal policy. These are NOT the most recent documents, but they represent one essential element in the process of bringing about change in a participatory democracy.

This was unanimously voted on by all members of Occupy Wall Street last night, around 8pm, Sept 29, 2011:
http://www.selectsmart.com/DISCUSS/read.php?16,859709

Reuters Breakingviews
A Manifesto for Wall Street Protesters
Published: October 6, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/business/a-manifesto-for-wall-street-protesters.html

A manifesto for the Occupy movement
Editorial
The Times attempts to pair the ideals and impulses that have powered the Occupy movement with some practical changes in public policy worth fighting for.
December 04, 2011
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/dec/04/opinion/la-ed-manifesto-20111204

PICKET: Occupy Wall Street protesters post manifesto of 'demands'
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog...-occupy-wall-street-protesters-post-manifest/

Moderation notice: The topic of this thread is very clear, how it managed to be derailed so successfully by personal proposals of linking taxes to the right to vote I have no idea. Let's keep it on topic ok?

I hated the occupy movement. Didn't solve anything, just added more angst to a stressful situation. I just ignored most of it and even though friends wanted to go do similar occupy movements in my state (they did), I opted out because it was a waste of time.

I dunno, but aren't they adding more insults to the liberal arts arena than taking away from it?Seriously, a course on the occupy movement in terms of literature? I giggled when I was reading it.

In China it is "Occupy toilets" and it is spreading to other countries it seems.
“We want governments around the world to pay attention to this issue,” said Tingting. “It is a a big issue for women that has never been properly addressed. Not anymore. We will occupy men’s toilets around the world!”

Reports are coming in from around the globe – women are taking over men’s restrooms and men are being forced to pee outside in the woods or streets. “Doesn’t matter to me,” said Jeb Martin of Omaha. ”I’ll pee anywhere.”

So men will have to "get everything done" at home before they leave to work.

Ivan Seeking said:

Chicago (CBS) said:
Edwards said he got the idea for the class after observing the ongoing debate in political science circles about the effect that economic inequality is having on democracy in America.
It seems to me that it would be difficult to reasonably argue that economic inequality is having any effect on whether or not people choose to vote. Maybe in some feely meely psychological way. But, let's face it, almost half the eligible voting public doesn't even bother to vote in lots of national elections. Voting is free. If they want to change things, then they should vote ... just not for Republicans or Democrats, imho. Because, as far as I know, that's the only way that the sorts of progressive changes that the Occupy Movement supposedly advocates will happen.

ThomasT: I whole-heartedly agree with your post above: If we Americans would vote we could indeed bring changes. And if the Occupy Movement would organize a "get out the vote" campaign they (we) would reap some of the positive changes they espouse.

1. What is the purpose of Political Science 390: Occupy Everywhere?

The purpose of this course is to examine the global phenomenon of the Occupy movement and its impact on political and social systems around the world. It will explore the origins, goals, and strategies of the movement, as well as its successes and challenges.

2. Who can enroll in Political Science 390: Occupy Everywhere?

This course is open to undergraduate and graduate students with an interest in political science, social movements, and global activism. It is also suitable for individuals outside of academia who want to gain a deeper understanding of the Occupy movement.

3. What topics will be covered in Political Science 390: Occupy Everywhere?

The course will cover a range of topics, including the history of social movements, the origins of the Occupy movement, its impact on global politics, and the role of social media in organizing and sustaining the movement. It will also analyze the relationship between the Occupy movement and other social and political movements.

4. Will there be any hands-on learning opportunities in Political Science 390: Occupy Everywhere?

Yes, this course will include hands-on learning opportunities such as group projects, case studies, and simulations to help students apply the theories and concepts learned in class to real-world situations. Students will also have the opportunity to engage with activists and organizers involved in the Occupy movement.

5. What skills or knowledge will students gain from taking Political Science 390: Occupy Everywhere?

Students will develop critical thinking and analytical skills as they examine the complexities of the Occupy movement and its impact on global politics. They will also gain a deeper understanding of social movements, activism, and the role of citizens in shaping political systems. Additionally, students will learn how to effectively communicate their ideas and arguments through written assignments and class discussions.